Confirmed with Link: Matt Puempel re-signs (1 year, $900,000, 2-way)

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I'm happy with this deal because I'm not seeing him as having a future here at this point. Hopefully something changes this year and he gets some ice time on a consistent line.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Matt Puempel

30 pts in 34 games last yr is almost a PPG in the AHL plus he had 17 goals in those 34 games. He may not have shown that kind of production in the NHL yet but he has had limited games as a prospect He has had most of his games on the 4th line with defensive minded linemates & he has had some injury problems at the NHL level just as he seemed to be getting it together. He was known as a sniper in junior & had 30 goals in his first full yr in Bingo. He is not like Hoffman, he can't really create his own scoring chances but he goes to the dirty areas to score goals & with a good playmaker on his line he could turn into the goal scorer we thought we drafted.

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I don't think the 2 way deal means much. Puempel would have to fall flat on his face in pre-season and they'd basically have to give up on him before they would consider exposing him to waivers. I think he starts and stays with the Sens unless he becomes part of a bigger trade.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
So when do the Sens give up on Puempel? He has 0 points so far this year and has been invisible all 10 games. Guaranteed he doesn't get picked up on waivers so my guess is this is going to be the next step for Matt?

He's been such a huge disappointment.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yup just about seen enough now. We have other guys. Don't care what happens to him. Lazar, Paul, Perron, Robinson, other guy, other guy can take his place anytime.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He's harmless but brings nothing. I can't recall ever seeing him make a defensive mistake and is always giving full effort. Keep him around until Lazar and/or Paul are good to go. He's cheap and could possibly produce offense when injuries add up. I suspect this will be his last season with us. He'll be in Europe next season. Will be a quality SHLer or NLAer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How much time has he spent on the top 6? Off the top of my head, I don't recall him playing with any big guns for more than a shift or two.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
How much time has he spent on the top 6? Off the top of my head, I don't recall him playing with any big guns for more than a shift or two.

He's spent a shift or two with the top 6 fairly often over the past couple years. The reason you don't remember it is because he doesn't create any chances or finish off any plays. He's got to show flashes at some point. Besides, if he's a true top 6er he would show flashes and production from the third line. Hossa started on our third line and produces and moved up. Havlat started on our third line and produced and moved up.

You would see many flashes by now, but we don't.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Speaking of waivers, Teravainen scored 1g 3a today surpassing Puempel's point total over the last 2 seasons combined in one game. :laugh::help:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So when do the Sens give up on Puempel? He has 0 points so far this year and has been invisible all 10 games. Guaranteed he doesn't get picked up on waivers so my guess is this is going to be the next step for Matt?

He's been such a huge disappointment.

Maybe you should watch the games more closely then. Not saying he has been a world beater but he got noticed. He just doesn't get on the scoreboard, but it's not surprising during a team scoring drought

He is played as a 4th liner with Neil and Kelly, don't expect much production

Id easily waive him... to slow for the NHL

Such hockey wisdom

Speaking of waivers, Teravainen scored 1g 3a today surpassing Puempel's point total over the last 2 seasons combined in one game. :laugh::help:

You're mixing him up with Teemu Pulkkinen... who is not very good for the NHL... TT is good and has never hit waivers.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He's spent a shift or two with the top 6 fairly often over the past couple years. The reason you don't remember it is because he doesn't create any chances or finish off any plays. He's got to show flashes at some point. Besides, if he's a true top 6er he would show flashes and production from the third line. Hossa started on our third line and produces and moved up. Havlat started on our third line and produced and moved up.

But it's unfair to compare him to Hossa or Havlat. As you said, he's not the type of player who can create his own goals; we know that by now. (Also, even on the third line young Hossa or Havlat were still paired with guys like Bonk, Fisher or Arvedson who could create room for them. Man, we were so STACKED back then). And so as long as he is paired with people who can't create for him he'll have trouble scoring. Before we give up on him we need to give him a chance with more creative players.

Now for comparison see what happened to Smith once he got paired with Pageau and Stone.

Same idea: we've also had creative players in the last few years who we also buried in the 3rd or 4th line with people who couldn't finish what they created (I don't want to name them and be called nostalgic or derail the conversation), and we gave up on them too.

We see stuff like that all the time. Dude is going nowhere on one team, gets moved and suddenly find chemistry on another team that finds a good pairing for him. Before I give up on a player, or definitely consider him a 4th line player despite his pedigree in the AHL or juniors as a scorer, I'd like to at least give the dude a proper chance.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Maybe you should watch the games more closely then. Not saying he has been a world beater but he got noticed. He just doesn't get on the scoreboard, but it's not surprising during a team scoring drought

He is played as a 4th liner with Neil and Kelly, don't expect much production

The only game he was noticeable was the one he got into a fight. He was buzzing around and creating chances that game.

A 7th rounder from the same draft (Dzingle) also started in Bingo, worked his way up, played on the 4th line and gave the coach no choice but to move him up the lineup. Dzingle looks like the 1st rounder while Puempel looks like the 7th rounder. A good player forces the coach to make space for him on the top lines, it shouldn't just be handed to him because of his draft position. He has to earn it and Puempel hasn't. He's been seeing anywhere between 6-10mins of ice time per game this year and hasn't done anything worthwhile with that time, why should he get more?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

See, that's why I ask. He's not the engine on a line - he is the opportunist. Let's be realistic, getting a shift or two here and there in the top 6 isn't much of an opportunity. He needs a couple of games on a decent line with a good playmaker. We talk about Ryan and Brass needing a few weeks to get chemistry, but we expect a kid new to the NHL to prove himself with a shift or two once in a blue moon...it doesn't make sense.

It looks like he's trending towards bust...but...he hasn't gotten a real legit run on the proper line in the NHL to show his stuff, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad