Confirmed with Link: Matt Puempel re-signs (1 year, $900,000, 2-way)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Thought this would happen before the other two RFAs (Hoffman & Ceci) & should be interesting to see how he does this yr. It wouldn't surprise me at some point if he isn't traded but I would love to see this guy find his scoring touch at the NHL level especially if they can put him with Stone. Ottawa could use another Stone kind of playmaker who can make the players around him better & set these goal scorers up in scoring areas.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Question, how common is it for a 22/23 year old to put up near 40 goals (in Puempel's case a pace of) in the AHL? Same thing with 30 goals as a 20 year old. Are there any comparable players?

I know older players can put up huge numbers in the AHL and be completely irrelevant in the NHL level. But I am wondering if there is any correlation between that kind of goal scoring production at that age in the NHL and future success in the NHL.

Something to consider. Although a 1 year contract is common for an RFA who hasn't proved anything in the NHL, unless I've misunderstood the expansion draft rules, the expansion draft might have prevented Ottawa from offering anything longer than 1 year. Apparently 20 of Vegas' 30 selections have to be signed to a contract, and unless I've heard incorrectly, this means that Vegas can only select 10 RFAs/UFAs.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
I've always liked Puempel but I think I like him even more since this video :

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Matt Puempel is a goal scorer and was drafted as such......

He will be given every chance to make it in Ottawa, I have my doubts that he will make it up to Ottawa full time...... If not with Ottawa he will get many chances with other teams to make it.......

He is like the left handed starting pitcher in baseball, who get many chances to make it............

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So far, he has looked like an AHL player without the ability to play regularly at the NHL level. I hope he improves, develops some moxy and energy to make it. He needs to get more involved in the play and do something notable that contributes to team success.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
His first stint with the Sens during that magical run was really convincing. He had a lot of jam to add to his scoring touch. Too bad his season ended on that leg injury. I don't know if he had any lingering injury issues last year that may have slowed him down.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I've always liked Puempel but I think I like him even more since this video :

So, now I know that Cory Conacher has no hope of an acting career after hockey. That was terrible.

Puempel's contract sounds about right.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Agree. To do that, he needs to be put in a position to succeed.

This is key. He has never gotten that chance yet.

This team is not good at developing high end players. We have very nearly lost Hoffman a few times, and had to fire a coach to give Stone a chance in the top 6.

They have this real aversion to giving skilled forwards a chance to shine in the top 6 and power play.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'm less puemped. But I still believe. You can do it Matt

RingoCalamity

Oct 25, 2006
This guy is supposed to be a goal scorer. If they keep him up for the year and give him 10-12 minutes a game on average, I'd consider anything less than 12-15 goals a disappointment. I think he needs to start producing, I don't feel like I've seen anything out of him yet. This will probably elicit groans but I'd rather have kept Prince. He seemed to have some wheels and made stuff happen.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
This is key. He has never gotten that chance yet.

This team is not good at developing high end players. We have very nearly lost Hoffman a few times, and had to fire a coach to give Stone a chance in the top 6.

They have this real aversion to giving skilled forwards a chance to shine in the top 6 and power play.

The next couple years of Prince's development are super interesting. Considering our LW had some depth issue with Mac going down, if Prince develops into a legit top 6 LW after we kept him out of the lineup, I'm going to be really envious.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: