Waived: Matt Puempel Nov 20 | Claimed by NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
We know our scouts are good. Maybe the problem is the development after these kids are drafted.

That doesn't excuse Dorion. He had a major role in those picks. Murray probably saw them play a game at most. It was either our junior scouts or Dorion dropping the ball on those picks maybe both so we don't have any proof that they are that good. They jumped over some pretty good talent in the drafts to take duds. They seem to have had greater success with a few of the late round gambles over the years. It makes you wonder about those other young guys already in the system.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
This must mean Lazar is here to stay now.
Puempel could get claimed. But I think it'll end up like Frk did. He's a great AHL scorer. Not so good at the NHL level. But Bingo could really use his help

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That doesn't excuse Dorion. He had a major role in those picks. Murray probably saw them play a game at most. It was either our junior scouts or Dorion dropping the ball on those picks maybe both so we don't have any proof that they are that good. They jumped over some pretty good talent in the drafts to take duds. They seem to have had greater success with a few of the late round gambles over the years. It makes you wonder about those other young guys already in the system.

Noesen is hard to judge because he had injuries de-rail him, and ultimately the Senators got value for him in the Ryan deal so it is a wash.

As far as Puempel goes, I don't know how upset I can be about late first rounders becoming busts. Look at who was realistically ranked around where he was taken. The odds of getting a star player are pretty low. The reason we see more stars out of late round picks rather than 1st rounders is that Ottawa mostly drafts near the end of the 1st round when less players who will become stars (who are realistically ranked and will be taken there aka not just choosing a random star from the 4th round who panned out) are available to them at that point, and they have a lot more late round picks than they do 1st round picks which gives them more chances to hit on something.

With these late round picks like Stone, Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau, who have panned out as really good players it seems like the Sens are doing better with these picks because expectations are much lower, and they have a lot more chances to hit on them. 1 first round pick a year on average vs 5 picks from rounds 3-7. After 5 years, we're talking about 5 first round picks vs 25 guys from the 3rd round or later in the draft. The Sens are doing a good job in the late round and beating the odds in the amount of NHL players they are developing, but I think this "Sens can't draft in the first round and can only find guys in late rounds" idea that seems to be coming up in some threads is misguided. Look at how many real stars are available around when the Sens have picked in the first round and then consider how many late round picks they've had versus 1st rounders and it makes sense why more of their stars are coming from later in the draft.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Also. The second round of that 2011 draft was really good. Not like puempel was selected very early in the 1st and the guys rated late first and the second round were all pretty close.

Ottawa did pass up those guys in the second (y picking puempel. And also by trade their two second round picks for that pick) they didn't come out of nowhere.

And people will say "well other teams passed on them as well".

Being ahead of the curve is part of being the best.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
All the love for Murray these past 7 years are flying out the door....... :shakehead

I don't mean you 2 posters, I'm just referring to all the members on this Forum (You know who you are) who were defending his moves and ideas, when all he accomplished was a revolving door of players and coaches. Thank god we had good scouts..... :amazed:
Zibanejad
Noesen
Prince
Puemple
Cowen
Lehner
Silfverberg

First and second rounders, all gone. This was supposed to be our future.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I blame Dorion more than Murray for early round pics. He's fixing his own mistakes.

Wow! You must think Murray is a genius of a GM.... :sarcasm:

Zibanejad
Noesen
Prince
Puemple
Cowen
Lehner
Silfverberg

Yep, all these guys were what we traded all those SENS (fan favourite) players away for... Thank god the Murray era is gone. Dorion has a lot of work ahead of him!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yep, all these guys were what we traded all those SENS (fan favourite) players away for... Thank god the Murray era is gone. Dorion has a lot of work ahead of him!

Sigh...just keep *****ing about Murray. It's easy to be an armchair GM years after the fact and use that 20/20 hindsight. :shakehead

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
good luck puemper. you might need it.
Toronto should take him.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'm starting to wonder what the plan is in Ottawa. This roster isn't good enough. Lots of holes. It's fine to 'like' all the players as people, but at the end of the day if this team doesn't play well and make the playoffs, folks are going to tune out.
Already when I talk to other fans, lots of folks have lost interest. Even Ottawa fans talk about Toronto's kids now. I mean really? But I have to admit that it's more interesting than talking about Ottawa's prospects.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
That year(2011) we had 3 first round picks and all 3 of them are basically no longer Sens. Also drafted prince 2nd round he's gone too, pageau 4th round, claesson 5th round,mccormick 6th, Dzingel 7th .

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm starting to wonder what the plan is in Ottawa. This roster isn't good enough. Lots of holes. It's fine to 'like' all the players as people, but at the end of the day if this team doesn't play well and make the playoffs, folks are going to tune out.
Already when I talk to other fans, lots of folks have lost interest. Even Ottawa fans talk about Toronto's kids now. I mean really? But I have to admit that it's more interesting than talking about Ottawa's prospects.

You say the roster has lots of holes, but isn't that normal when half your top 6 is injured?

The fans that have lost interest aren't really "fans", imo. Fairweather fans, maybe.

I think we'll have a good idea of what this team can do around Christmas time. A bit before then is when it's time to make a trade or not. If the team is around .500 and spinning circles and no trades are done to address needs by Christmas, then I can understand some fans tuning out. Until then, we're top 12 in the league right now and are showing some progress without half our top 6.

Time to show what you got Lazar :yo: :yo: I didn't see the game yesterday but it looked like Lazar played well from the highlights, a few looks in front from what I saw and good speed.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
So much for the 0 year rebuild. Trading the maligned contracts of Kelly and Fisher for 1sts not as sure a thing as we thought back then. I think Peumps was though of as a bit of a longshot back when he was drafted. But he was no Patrick Eaves, more of a Bochenski i guess. Ahh well, there was a lot of excitement from that retool that Murray never wanted to call a rebuild.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Sigh...just keep *****ing about Murray. It's easy to be an armchair GM years after the fact and use that 20/20 hindsight. :shakehead

Not hindsight. Year after year since the Fisher/Kelly trade, you could see the decline, and I was here on this site complaining about him. Murray was useless, get over it.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Not hindsight. Year after year since the Fisher/Kelly trade, you could see the decline, and I was here on this site complaining about him. Murray was useless, get over it.

Don't you think the reason why you can "see the decline" was because we were rebuilding and traded core players? It was a choice to decline as a team, to have a better future.

The argument should more be that the decline wasn't handled properly. The team could have managed those years of rebuilding better.

I remember when Dorion took over he said he has different philosophies compared to Murray on how to build a team and on certain players and on his mentality. I'm looking forward to seeing that, we already have a bit.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

lol, if you don't get why Fisher was traded, then you have no business playing armchair GM.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

Murray might have a lot to atone for such as sympathetically clinging to certain players passed their best before date, trading for or signing over the hill UFA often to longer terms than needed but I won't blame him for the amateur draft. Our previous coaches might have contributed to the poor development of some of the young players too but I would think that most people would know that the draft belongs to the amateur scouting team. Dorion was the head scout of the team most of those years. Like I said Murray might have seen these guys play once maybe twice in some cases but there is no way he'd let his opinion rule.

It might be different now with Dorion as GM because he fancies himself an expert in that area and might have stronger opinions on who they draft. That's why I don't excuse him for many early round picks that don't cut it especially when in some cases they moved up to get them.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Zibanejad
Noesen
Prince
Puemple
Cowen
Lehner
Silfverberg

Zibanejad=Traded for Brassard
Silfverberg/Noesen=Traded for Ryan
Prince=Traded for a similar pick that was spent on him/said pick used to obtain Logan Brown
Puempel=Bust
Cowen=Bust
Lehner=Traded for 21st overall pick Colin White/$3.5M/**by proxy**Matt O'Connor

.....don't get how you can frame that post in a way as if Ottawa got nothing out of those picks. Only two of those picks were "busts". Ottawa got a lot out of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad