Confirmed with Link: Matt O'Connor signs with Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Apologies if this has been referenced already, but this signing is a pretty nice "get stuffed" moment for everyone saying that free agents don't like signing in Ottawa. We've done just fine on that front recently even if O'Connor had gone elsewhere, but to have a sought after free agent goalie, and an American kid to boot, choose us over many other competing cities should put an end to that nonsense.

He's from Toronto. Ottawa is closest to home.

It not like Ottawa does poor when it comes to attracting College UFAs. Seems to be a strength of Murray's to convince kids they can get an opportunity in ottawa.

O'Connor shouldnt make Lehner expendable. Lehner is a much better young goalie. If Lehner is moved because O'Connor i think its about more then just lehner's one meh year and one terrible year.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
BM said to O'Connor he will trade a goalie if he signs.

The thing here is that we don't know WHEN Murray promised he'd move a goalie by.

If O'Connor is going to spend the year in the AHL, it doesn't force us to make a move until next offseason, at the earliest.

... of course, if we re-sign Hammond, then I'd say the writing is on the wall for Lehner. 3 NHL goalies + a clear-cut guy in OC as the starter in Bingo = someone's gettin' traded.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
The thing here is that we don't know WHEN Murray promised he'd move a goalie by.

If O'Connor is going to spend the year in the AHL, it doesn't force us to make a move until next offseason, at the earliest.

... of course, if we re-sign Hammond, then I'd say the writing is on the wall for Lehner. 3 NHL goalies + a clear-cut guy in OC as the starter in Bingo = someone's gettin' traded.

Exactly.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
people really need to make sure they keep their expectations in check. He's an good-ok goalie prospect. Not a top one. Sean Maguire put up the same numbers O'Connor did at BU before he took a year off.

I just have a feeling were going to see him higher then he should be on the prospect chart lol kinda like what happened with Guptill

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, I don't think we hit a jackpot by any means. I think it'd be foolish to bank on both Hammond and O'Connor. I'm hoping next year Lehner is still with this team, even though I do agree he has not progressed at all in his development.

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
Are there any teams with better goalie depth than us now?

Anderson - Lehner/Hammond | O'Connor - Driedger | Högberg

Maybe Boston with Rask, Svedberg, M. Subban, and McIntyre... but McIntyre might leave though.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
people really need to make sure they keep their expectations in check. He's an good-ok goalie prospect. Not a top one. Sean Maguire put up the same numbers O'Connor did at BU before he took a year off.

I just have a feeling where going to see him higher then he should be on the prospect chart lol kinda like what happened with Guptill

People are a bit excited with a free spec. I'm just happy we got a goalie spec who is now the best goalie spec in our system.

Maybe we got a Kevin Hayes on our hands

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Are there any teams with better goalie depth than us now?

Anderson - Lehner/Hammond | O'Connor - Driedger | Högberg

Maybe Boston with Rask, Svedberg, M. Subban, and McIntyre... but McIntyre might leave though.

Pittsburgh

Fleury-idk Greiss/Zatkoff? l Murray-Jarry l Maguire

Murray is a stud.

Last edited:

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY

I just have a feeling were going to see him higher then he should be on the prospect chart lol kinda like what happened with Guptill

Guptill is a major bust.

That out of the way, I can't offer anymore opinion's other than what has been posted until I see him in live action.

I can surely speculate and have at S7S, but don't know yet.

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
Pittsburgh

Fleury-idk Greiss/Zatkoff? l Murray-Jarry l Maguire

Murray is a stud.

Matt Murray reminds me a lot of Lehner. Big guy who's wrecking it up in the AHL.
I think if we keep Lehner instead of Hammond, our depth is slightly better because we're a bit younger. But yeah it's close. Hopefully O'Connor delivers amidst all the hype.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Matt Murray reminds me a lot of Lehner. Big guy who's wrecking it up in the AHL.
I think if we keep Lehner instead of Hammond, our depth is slightly better because we're a bit younger. But yeah it's close. Hopefully O'Connor delivers amidst all the hype.

Lehner's best AHL season was when he had a .938 save percentage through 38 games. His back up Lawson also had a 938 save percentage well bishop had a .928 save percentage.

Murray had a .941 save percentage through 40 games. His back up has a .910 save percentage.

Thats a crazy difference and his back up or a guess split starter is an ahl veteran who's consistently had decent- good numbers.

Not trying to down play lehner but its crazy how big an impact Murray must have as opposed to any other goalie

Murray has had 12 shutouts in 40 games.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
I just don't understand why so many people are assuming that Lehner is going to be traded just because O'Connor has been signed.

Why would the organization just ship out a young goaltender that they've been developing since he was drafted in 2009.

He lead Binghamton to the Calder Cup and was the Recipient of the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy, the AHLs Playoff "Most Valuable Player" award in 2011.

That feat has only been done twice by a goaltender in AHL history (the other was Carey Price), and now at the NHL level, he's played a grand total of 86 games over 5 seasons.

Why in the world would they give up on Lehner now?

Matt O'Connor is a couple of seasons away from the NHL, and By then Lehner should be the starter at the age of 25 or so.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I just don't understand why so many people are assuming that Lehner is going to be traded just because O'Connor has been signed.

Why would the organization just ship out a young goaltender that they've been developing since he was drafted in 2009.

He lead Binghamton to the Calder Cup and was the Recipient of the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy, the AHLs Playoff "Most Valuable Player" award in 2011.

That feat has only been done twice by a goaltender in AHL history (the other was Carey Price), and now at the NHL level, he's played a grand total of 86 games over 5 seasons.

Why in the world would they give up on Lehner now?

Matt O'Connor is a couple of seasons away from the NHL, and By then Lehner should be the starter at the age of 25 or so.
Add to this we still dont know what Lehner,s status is injury wise.We signed a prospect goalie ,and little else to this point .He is far away from being Lehner atm

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lehner's progression has stalled and I don't think it's far fetched to claim there may be a clash between him and the rest of the roster considering how much of a turnaround it was once he was out for the season

Both issues can be addressed and fixed but if we retain Hammond then expect Lehner to get shipped out unless his concussions symptoms are still an issue. O'Connor is going to be in the AHL so he's no threat to Lehner, Hammond will be though

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=39660

little interview

On attending the Sens Development Camp in 2011:

I think that was a great way for me to get a taste of the organization at a young age. It is a little serendipity as Ottawa was the first team to see some NHL potential in me. That year I was playing juniors and Central Scouting had ranked me but I wasn't ranked really high. Ottawa showed some interest and I got to experience that. It was great for my development, even for that small week that I was there. That's what I think is one of the strong points of the Ottawa Senators; player development.

On where he anticipates playing next season:

As a goalie, you need time to develop in the pro game so I would definitely picture myself in Binghamton. I'm not one to come in to an organization and demand games or expect promises because the bottom line is it's about stopping the puck. I think I can develop a lot in the American League and that's a big opportunity for me. As a goalie, you want to go when you're ready and I've got a tow year window to develop in to the best goalie I can be.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The fact that he acknowledged that he wasn't the kind of guy to demand starts and seems to understand that he needs to develop is always nice

Already he's more mature than Lehner

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I love everything this kid says.

Attitude: A+

Also:
On working with Sens goalie coach Rick Wamsley:

I'm a big goalie and I always need to get quicker moving laterally. I think my game really improves working with a good strength coach as well but Rick Wamsley will work me hard. He's a good, hard-nosed guy that's going to develop my game as a goalie in a lot of aspects like playing the puck, positioning and playing a bit more of an aggressive style. I know when I spoke to him after a game that he came down to see me in Vermont, he said he liked my aggressive style and compared it to Ben Bishop.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees a crap-ton of Ben Bishop in this kid. Super similar styles, OC needs to work on some things for sure (for instance - he under-commits on his glove hand because he has a good glove hand and likes to flash it, Patrick Roy style - he needs to just set up properly and not show the whole left side of the net for the shooters, because he's not going to get them all), but otherwise he's so much like Bishop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad