Waived: Matt Nieto (SJS) - Claimed by Colorado

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Nieto is also a decently responsible defensive forward in his own zone and in transition, he's a actually a really good 4th liner

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Nieto will always leave you wanting more. He's got excellent speed. Can pk and play great in his own zone, but he will never put it together offensively.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
if he shows enough effort, specially forechecking, I guess he could play straight into our top line...

:help:

anyways, I liked the claim A LOT. way better than the usual AHL defensemans this org likes to snatch...

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
if he shows enough effort, specially forechecking, I guess he could play straight into our top line...

:help:

anyways, I liked the claim A LOT. way better than the usual AHL defensemans this org likes to snatch...

any idea where he fits in the line up tonight....

Honestly could see him anywhere from 1st to 4th line and i wish i could say i was kidding.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Already looks better than most of our other forwards.

But he really could have done better on that penalty shot :P.

He probably will be in our top6 at the end of the game.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Already looks better than most of our other forwards.

But he really could have done better on that penalty shot :P.

He probably will be in our top6 at the end of the game.

He has looked good. And they mentioned that he was from Long Beach so that helps him feel at home. :laugh:

He's got stone hands. If he could have drawn a penalty there, it would have helped the Avs but when they said it was a penalty shot, I felt bad for him. Still a great start with the Avs.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
He has looked good. And they mentioned that he was from Long Beach so that helps him feel at home. :laugh:

He's got stone hands. If he could have drawn a penalty there, it would have helped the Avs but when they said it was a penalty shot, I felt bad for him. Still a great start with the Avs.

I don't think you've seen our PP

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
someone said the guy has no offensive instincts... are you kidding me? Nieto had a shot on goal and completed a pass! a freaking whole tape to tape pass!!! that`s more than six or seven forwards on this team are capable of.

plz play him 20 minutes a night from now on till the end of the season. and I`m not kidding.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I don't think you've seen our PP

Not a lot but a few games. The PP has a better chance than Nieto. Nieto has the wheels so looks like he might score but never does. You need to appreciate him for his defensive play or you'll pull your hair out or break your TV when you throw things at it.

As you can see, he plays with a lot of energy and is fast. He's a decent player but can't score. Brings other things, though.

Edit to add: Agree with the poster above that he has a decent pass.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
From what Doug Wilson said, it sounds like this is something Nieto requested, since he wanted to actually play. While I agree he's likely better than Haley, I think the org wants someone who can punch face around on the roster, given the physicality of the Pacific. I wish we'd kept him, but I don't think this is a case of the Sharks just abandoning him. I think he went to DW and asked to be traded or released, so he could get on the ice regularly. I'm sure DW kicked the tires on the trade market, couldn't find anyone interested, and so agreed to waive him to honor his request.

So yeah, not the best personnel move the Sharks have ever made, but assuming we're right about him asking out, it's definitely a lot more understandable than it is in a vacuum.

Doug Wilson gave no hint about Nieto requesting in the Q&A session I was at. Sounds like Barrie above was at the same one. Doug said it was not hard to tell Nieto there was no room for him at San Jose becuse he still had a good NHL career ahead of him, just not in San Jose. Doug wished Nieto the best of success but not when he plays the Sharks.

The most difficult guy Doug stated he had to let go was Ricci. This was because his career was winding down and his prospects in the NHL were not a good as Nieto. He said that he never lost touch with Ricci, and proud that he's back in the Sharks organization as a development coach for the Barracudas... gave Ricci alot of priase for the development of the cuda players we are now seeing, if only temporary, up at the 23 man roster.

I'm just surprised that Doug didn't get at least a conditional 6th round pick for Nieto. Although, Doug Wilson did not mention it, I was wondering if the expansion draft had something to do with it. This is based upon another answer Doug gave about the expansion draft.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Doug Wilson gave no hint about Nieto requesting in the Q&A session I was at. Sounds like Barrie above was at the same one. Doug said it was not hard to tell Nieto there was no room for him at San Jose becuse he still had a good NHL career ahead of him, just not in San Jose. Doug wished Nieto the best of success but not when he plays the Sharks.

The most difficult guy Doug stated he had to let go was Ricci. This was because his career was winding down and his prospects in the NHL were not a good as Nieto. He said that he never lost touch with Ricci, and proud that he's back in the Sharks organization as a development coach for the Barracudas... gave Ricci alot of priase for the development of the cuda players we are now seeing, if only temporary, up at the 23 man roster.

I'm just surprised that Doug didn't get at least a conditional 6th round pick for Nieto. Although, Doug Wilson did not mention it, I was wondering if the expansion draft had something to do with it. This is based upon another answer Doug gave about the expansion draft.

How does that make any sense? Avs claiming Nieto doesn't help San Jose at all in that regard.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
By not going the waiver route, but trade Nieto. I'm surprised he did not scrape up a low draft pick.

I'm still not following how this relates to the expansion draft. If DW got a 6th in a trade, we'd be in the same position we are now vis-a-vis the expansion draft.

Nieto is on another team.
The Sharks won't be protecting him (not that they would have if he'd stayed a Shark) and
SJS will lose someone other than Matt Nieto.

The only difference I can see is that we have a pick in one scenario and not in another. What other difference is there? Either way, how does that relate to the expansion draft?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Nieto isn't competing with regular bottom six forwards on his new team. It's populated by veterans not giving a **** anymore. He'll do fine on Avs. The coach will love him if he just plays an honest energy game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad