Waived: Matt Nieto (SJS) - Claimed by Colorado

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Is this real life? Someone said that SJS fans never would have said Nieto was 'untouchable,' in whatever arbitrary internet parlance that means. They were promptly proven wrong with concrete examples from a series of different posters. Almost all of the examples I cited were from a poster who features very prominently on any topics related to San Jose.

"it's pretty hacky" to sidestep what were ridiculous claims 2-3 years ago and act like people on your end didn't massively overrate a player who has now been waived. It was the same with people who called *ahem* certain posters out on the McIlrath topic earlier this season.

That it came full circle for Nieto provides me with no great satisfaction, though calling out posters who say one thing only to flop onto the other side when their Nostradamus like predictions fall flat certainly is satisfying. Particularly when it is a poster (who will remain unnamed) who continually acts like their opinion is the gospel truth.

This will certainly be my last post on this topic but if you try to flip this one as well, you would do well to have a go at the LSAT

well there was only one guy that used that word, and he's one of the few on my ignore list so I won't defend him too much. he is an outlier so you don't get to parade him around as if he represents sharks fans.

the others clearly correctly contextualized their statement in terms of his prospects. his future did look bright at one point. now that it doesn't, it is in fact hacky to bang on about it unless AT THAT TIME you disputed the claims with well-supported counterclaims that came true.

did you?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
It's to the point where I genuinely hope McFarland just packs up and leaves. We can't keep employing people like Andrew Bodnarchuk and Cody Goloubef and whoever the hell else Columbus barfs up on waivers and hope to ever win games.

Oh, man, you're gonna be thrilled when we hear who Sakic's replacement will be :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Who has been a good fit under Bednar?

Comeau's been a pretty good fit and is one of the few guys who isn't underperforming much, Zads has been one of our few brightspots, EJ was playing really well next to Zadorov before the injury, Greer looked very good during his call up as both he & Compher should be perfect for this style of play, and...and...Duchene/MacK/Rantanen have been fine.

You're right that the whole team has gone into the crapper, but Soda wasn't fitting in even when they started the season on a solid note...before the injuries & goal scoring issues snowballed...ditto Grigorenko & Barrie. Which all makes sense given what we were told to expect from Bednar; his emphasis on fast & physical forechecking just doesn't work for guys like Grigo, Soda or Colborne; while the emphasis on dmen making quick passes instead of holding onto the puck has clashed with Barrie's style dramatically.

Last edited:

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
There are like bunch of negative posts in this thread by different Avs fans, some are pretty funny too i must say. I'm wondering what made mine stand out?:laugh::help:

Because I have to read your posts in the Avs boards too and after awhile, it just gets beaten to death by your morbid, pessimistic outlook on literally everything. I understand things don't look great for our franchise...no need to continually thrash on our club though.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Because I have to read your posts in the Avs boards too and after awhile, it just gets beaten to death by your morbid, pessimistic outlook on literally everything. I understand things don't look great for our franchise...no need to continually thrash on our club though.

Yeah but I'm not the only one. Pretty much every Avs fan right now posting the same negative stuff about the team because it's well warranted since the team sucks so bad.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
I hope he kicks ass with the Avs. I liked him but I can see why he was waived. Purely bureaucratic move in the modern NHL.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Solid PKer. Worth the claim on that alone if the Avs need one.
Not much offensive touch. I don't see him as ever being more than a 20pt fwd if he works out in Colorado

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I would have been more interested had this happened a month ago, when they still were bothering to make roster moves and hadn't lost nearly every game in that span. I guess it's nice to know the FO is still alive but it's going to take more than one waiver claim to reincarnate the death on ice we've been witnessing. I guess we'll see how he's used.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
From what Doug Wilson said, it sounds like this is something Nieto requested, since he wanted to actually play. While I agree he's likely better than Haley, I think the org wants someone who can punch face around on the roster, given the physicality of the Pacific. I wish we'd kept him, but I don't think this is a case of the Sharks just abandoning him. I think he went to DW and asked to be traded or released, so he could get on the ice regularly. I'm sure DW kicked the tires on the trade market, couldn't find anyone interested, and so agreed to waive him to honor his request.

So yeah, not the best personnel move the Sharks have ever made, but assuming we're right about him asking out, it's definitely a lot more understandable than it is in a vacuum.

DoubleOT

Jan 5, 2017
Nieto is basically an AHL player with NHL speed.

I'm glad he'll get a shot to get some ice somewhere and I think he can carve out a career as a speedy 4th liner/border line 3rd liner. If he does better than that then he'd be exceeding expectations IMO.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nieto is basically an AHL player with NHL speed.

I'm glad he'll get a shot to get some ice somewhere and I think he can carve out a career as a speedy 4th liner/border line 3rd liner. If he does better than that then he'd be exceeding expectations IMO.

Nieto is easily a great 4th liner who can do spot duty higher in the lineup. I don't know who you are but I'm guessing you haven't watched Nieto every game for the past four years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad