Waived: Matt Nieto (SJS) - Claimed by Colorado

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I will say that in hindsight it looks bad, but at the time, I was one of those fully on board with the idea that Nieto was going to be a key element of the Sharks future and shouldn't be moved. He was playing really, really well, got zero lucky breaks, but still put up some decent numbers and drove possession. He was good, real good, and while he certainly fell off, I don't think Shark fans were wrong to be real excited about him when he first came into the league. Calling him untouchable was probably overboard, but declaring that his value to the Sharks was probably higher than his perceived value on the trade market was definitely true. I don't think there is a fanbase in the league that wouldn't have been optimistic about Nieto three years ago.

whlscowt

PDB just didn't click with him on a personal or professional level. Nieto's a pretty unique character, really upbeat, a bit out there, he dj's, bit youngish/loud personality wise, he's not your typical hockey player persona. I can see Nieto paving out a decent career in a different environment.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Little bit undersized guy who is constantly double digits minus player and now 24 without being able to grab a top 6 spot...

Amazing how the demand for this type of player is so much less than fans here want to believe

Teams want defensive responsible players in bottom 6 roles. Being -20 over the last couple seasons on a good team = waiver time

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
PDB just didn't click with him on a personal or professional level. Nieto's a pretty unique character, really upbeat, a bit out there, he dj's, bit youngish/loud personality wise, he's not your typical hockey player persona. I can see Nieto paving out a decent career in a different environment.

It also didn't help that Nieto is from Long Beach and is best friends with Snoop Dogg, whom he grew up with, and DeBoer is a big East Coast rap guy. They had beef and DeBoer couldn't keep up with the constant freestyle battles where he was routinely humiliated.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Untouchable? I highly doubt that was said about Nieto, even by shark fans.

Most fan base say their young guys are untouchable. I'm sure even you and I am guilty of over valuing kids on our team

But one truth remains... none of us fans make this decesion.

And a second truth... fans opinions change after a kid has been around 2-3 years and not lived up to the fantasy

Personally I'm ok with this

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
It also didn't help that Nieto is from Long Beach and is best friends with Snoop Dogg, whom he grew up with, and DeBoer is a big East Coast rap guy. They had beef and DeBoer couldn't keep up with the constant freestyle battles where he was routinely humiliated.

Nailed it.

See, this is why Zubrus got a roster spot with his Euro-pop-gaze music.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA

This is pretty much what I was envisioning. Haley seems like more of a good old hockey guy and nieto is, according to announcers 30x per socal game, a California boy. I hate when people let personalities (unless the other person is actually an a-hole) get in the way of good sense.

Jul 10, 2010
He was envisioned as a top 6 winger who'd score 20-20-40 a season while playing good D

He turned into a 4th line winger who could skate fast, kid can't score but will help your PK

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I will say that in hindsight it looks bad, but at the time, I was one of those fully on board with the idea that Nieto was going to be a key element of the Sharks future and shouldn't be moved. He was playing really, really well, got zero lucky breaks, but still put up some decent numbers and drove possession. He was good, real good, and while he certainly fell off, I don't think Shark fans were wrong to be real excited about him when he first came into the league. Calling him untouchable was probably overboard, but declaring that his value to the Sharks was probably higher than his perceived value on the trade market was definitely true. I don't think there is a fanbase in the league that wouldn't have been optimistic about Nieto three years ago.

True. Hell, we are/have been optimistic about him all season. He's better than guys who we currently have playing. He's an NHLer with some upside. He brings a lot of skills you want in an NHL nowadays. This is just a bad move no matter how you look at it.

Little bit undersized guy who is constantly double digits minus player and now 24 without being able to grab a top 6 spot...

Amazing how the demand for this type of player is so much less than fans here want to believe

Teams want defensive responsible players in bottom 6 roles. Being -20 over the last couple seasons on a good team = waiver time

And there goes your credibility on the subject.

He's an excellent bottom 6 player. He's actually better suited to a bottom 6 role than top 6, but I'm sure you know more... :laugh: He's a very good defensive player.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
This is pretty much what I was envisioning. Haley seems like more of a good old hockey guy and nieto is, according to announcers 30x per socal game, a California boy. I hate when people let personalities (unless the other person is actually an a-hole) get in the way of good sense.

This may be it. Who knows why he's been scratched so much this season. His play seems on par with other 4th liners. They each have pros and cons but he's cheaper than Karlsson or Wingels so, if they are hoping someone claims him to clear cap space, it seems like they would have waived one of them. Unless they think that they make too much to get claimed.

True. Hell, we are/have been optimistic about him all season. He's better than guys who we currently have playing. He's an NHLer with some upside. He brings a lot of skills you want in an NHL nowadays. This is just a bad move no matter how you look at it.

And there goes your credibility on the subject.

He's an excellent bottom 6 player. He's actually better suited to a bottom 6 role than top 6, but I'm sure you know more... :laugh: He's a very good defensive player.

He's fast and good defensively. He's good on the PK. He does have some upside but, at this point, not as much as some guys on the Barracuda who deserve a chance on the Sharks.

I'm guessing they did this to clear a roster spot and a bit of cap space for Meier. Per my calculations, if they keep Meier, Labanc, and Haley up, they'll have $388,332 after Hertl returns. So they probably needed to do this to keep Meier and Labanc up. (Could have sent Haley down but they seem to love him so that wasn't going to happen.)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This may be it. Who knows why he's been scratched so much this season. His play seems on par with other 4th liners. They each have pros and cons but he's cheaper than Karlsson or Wingels so, if they are hoping someone claims him to clear cap space, it seems like they would have waived one of them. Unless they think that they make too much to get claimed.

He's fast and good defensively. He's good on the PK. He does have some upside but, at this point, not as much as some guys on the Barracuda who deserve a chance on the Sharks.

I'm assuming they did this to clear a roster spot and a bit of cap space for Meier. Per my calculations, if they keep Meier, Labanc, and Haley up, they'll have $388,332 after Hertl returns. So they probably needed to do this to keep Meier and Labanc up. (Could have sent Haley down but they seem to love him so that wasn't going to happen.)

1. I agree. He's got a little upside but not much. He's a useful player though.

2. Probably. It's just frustrating to see a young NHLer with upside be given the shaft for guys that have no place long term. I'd sooner move a guy like Wingels than Nieto. Or Ward. Or Haley (though that should have been obvious). I get that guys need roles, but Nieto is a pretty versatile guy. He won't be a tough guy, but can fill a lot of roles.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
1. I agree. He's got a little upside but not much. He's a useful player though.

2. Probably. It's just frustrating to see a young NHLer with upside be given the shaft for guys that have no place long term. I'd sooner move a guy like Wingels than Nieto. Or Ward. Or Haley (though that should have been obvious). I get that guys need roles, but Nieto is a pretty versatile guy. He won't be a tough guy, but can fill a lot of roles.

Id' rather move Wingels, if for more cap space than you get by moving Nieto if nothing else (can bury up to 950k or 2.475M if someone claims Wingels). Wingels, Ward, and Nieto are all versatile. I could go either way with Ward or Karlsson. Ward takes a fair amount of faceoffs bc he's right-handed, though, so that may be part of it. Or maybe they like his chemistry with Marleau, Couture, or Hertl more than Nieto's. I would also rather send Haley down but if the coaches are going to play Haley over Nieto, it's probably better for Nieto to get waived and either claimed or have a lot more playing time on the Barracuda.

I hope that if Nieto gets claimed that he gets a real shot with whichever team claims him. He's a solid 4th liner with some speed.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Sakic you better pick him up. I don't care if he can't score, if he's speedy and can play defense - instant upgrade for the mighty Avs. This is the definition of a waiver pickup that makes sense for a team like Colorado. Completely different than Rattie or Boucher. Don't want him for name or some magical upside that will never happen. Just want a useful, youngish body who can slot in a few different positions and play special teams.

Ahhhhhhh Nieto, the perfect storm of early athletic ability to then be followed by his rushed development for other parts of his game by the Sharks.

Whatever the case is, I really hope Avs make a claim for him. The strongest asset of our team, which isn't saying much, is speed. One of the weakest attributes to our team is a lack of depth. Nieto probably won't light the world on fire, but should be given every opportunity to rebound his game in Denver.

My thinking also. That dumpster fire needs some added depth.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Id' rather move Wingels, if for more cap space than you get by moving Nieto if nothing else (can bury up to 950k or 2.475M if someone claims Wingels). Wingels, Ward, and Nieto are all versatile. I could go either way with Ward or Karlsson. Ward takes a fair amount of faceoffs bc he's right-handed, though, so that may be part of it. Or maybe they like his chemistry with Marleau, Couture, or Hertl more than Nieto's. I would also rather send Haley down but if the coaches are going to play Haley over Nieto, it's probably better for Nieto to get waived and either claimed or have a lot more playing time on the Barracuda.

I hope that if Nieto gets claimed that he gets a real shot with whichever team claims him. He's a solid 4th liner with some speed.

I can't disagree. I'd be OK with moving Wingels. I only really want to keep Ward because of faceoffs. He's not a very special player otherwise.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Wouldn't mind seeing Nieto in a Flyers uniform, if the Flyers had to waive Gordon or VandeVelde to make that happen I'd be all for it.

Matt Nieto could be a nice reclamation project if he turns out to be a poor mans Paul Byron.
General managers will be on the wire tomorrow to snap Nieto up, he only costs 735k, and is a RFA at seasons end. I Would be somewhat surprised if Matt passes through waivers unclaimed.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Sakic you better pick him up. I don't care if he can't score, if he's speedy and can play defense - instant upgrade for the mighty Avs. This is the definition of a waiver pickup that makes sense for a team like Colorado. Completely different than Rattie or Boucher. Don't want him for name or some magical upside that will never happen. Just want a useful, youngish body who can slot in a few different positions and play special teams.

I agree, and it makes me think of the Byron pickup by Montreal. A lot of times those types of moves just don't work and they are completely forgotten. But sometimes getting a good 3rd/4th liner with PK specialty can really help a team's depth.

The point is that we (on the boards) often get excited about a former prospect, upside and potential. Not every team, even badly struggling ones, need that. Building a quality bottom 6 with NHL players can sometimes help more than accumulating potential top 6 forwards.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Yup, I think it's a near lock we put in a claim after losing Gallagher and Byron tonight.

Cheap cap hit, great speed to fit our style, etc. I see no harm in doing so.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
Galchenyuk, Byron, Gallagher, Shaw, DD and Hudon
Markov, Pateryn and Redmond

all out, we need bodies please let us have him

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Most fan base say their young guys are untouchable. I'm sure even you and I am guilty of over valuing kids on our team

But one truth remains... none of us fans make this decesion.

And a second truth... fans opinions change after a kid has been around 2-3 years and not lived up to the fantasy

Personally I'm ok with this

Guilty...I said Tinordi was an untouchable, we all know how that turned out :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad