Waived: Matt Nieto (SJS) - Claimed by Colorado

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I think Nieto must have ****ed Deboer and/or Wilson's wife/wives, because this makes zero goddamn sense to me. He has struggled offensively this year, but he was never a very offensively gifted forward and the entire team, with the exception of Brent Burns, has been down this year offensively. Nieto is fast and great defensively, and while no one is going to confuse him with McDavid in the offensive zone, he's not the kind of guy who kills offense either, like say a, I don't know, Michael Haley or something. Especially with the premium put on speed in the league currently and the way in which the Sharks lost in the Cup finals, I really don't get why the Sharks have been so down on Nieto and are now willing to let him go for nothing.

Makes no sense, I hate it, and I'm sad to see him inevitably go. That being said, I am certainly not going to miss being reminded how he's from Long Beach every thirty seconds in every game the Sharks play against LA or Anaheim.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Well I'm glad the Yotes are closing in on 50 contracts. Maybe the Canucks will actually grab another NHL player on waivers. The poor Utica Comets have been suffering all season with 2/3's of their top line in Vancouver. Nieto in Van while one of Megna or Chaput can be where they are most effective in the AHL

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Nieto must have ****ed Deboer and/or Wilson's wife/wives, because this makes zero goddamn sense to me. He has struggled offensively this year, but he was never a very offensively gifted forward and the entire team, with the exception of Brent Burns, has been down this year offensively. Nieto is fast and great defensively, and while no one is going to confuse him with McDavid in the offensive zone, he's not the kind of guy who kills offense either, like say a, I don't know, Michael Haley or something. Especially with the premium put on speed in the league currently and the way in which the Sharks lost in the Cup finals, I really don't get why the Sharks have been so down on Nieto and are now willing to let him go for nothing.

Makes no sense, I hate it, and I'm sad to see him inevitably go. That being said, I am certainly not going to miss being reminded how he's from Long Beach every thirty seconds in every game the Sharks play against LA or Anaheim.

Just came to post you know LA claims him just to hear "Long Beach native Matt Nieto" 30 times a night

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Crap , if the habs didn't have so many young bottom 6 ers they put a claim.

I doubt he goes unclaimed

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This is honestly idiotic on the Sharks part. Nieto isn't the scoring forward he showed the potential to be a couple years ago, but he's at worst an excellent 4th liner who can do spot duty higher in the lineup while playing great defense, providing an element of playmaking, and excellent PKing. He's young, cheap, and fast. He's not a world beater but not a single team in this league has 12 forwards better than Matt Nieto, including the Sharks. This is insanely stupid.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Sakic you better pick him up. I don't care if he can't score, if he's speedy and can play defense - instant upgrade for the mighty Avs. This is the definition of a waiver pickup that makes sense for a team like Colorado. Completely different than Rattie or Boucher. Don't want him for name or some magical upside that will never happen. Just want a useful, youngish body who can slot in a few different positions and play special teams.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ahhhhhhh Nieto, the perfect storm of early athletic ability to then be followed by his rushed development for other parts of his game by the Sharks.

Whatever the case is, I really hope Avs make a claim for him. The strongest asset of our team, which isn't saying much, is speed. One of the weakest attributes to our team is a lack of depth. Nieto probably won't light the world on fire, but should be given every opportunity to rebound his game in Denver.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The benefits of being the basement dweller.

If Arizona passes, Sakic better pick him up. Rattie was up in the air, but Nieto is a no brainer for the Avs.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Speedy defensive winger. Stick is bigger than he is so his offense is very limited.

Umm...remember this guy?

8135562.jpg

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Hoping the Oilers claim him...can use his speed...played well under TM in the past.

LW depth:
Lucic
Maroon
Nieto
Pouliot/Hendricks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad