Confirmed with Link: Matt Murray to Ottawa for Jonathan Gruden + 2020 2nd (52nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The last time the Sens were seen as a contender was sub 2010. It’s been a decade of mediocrity.

I think thats fair to say.

Its also fair to point out that it could always be worse, and just about anything can happen in the playoffs. So being a media darling and a "legit contender" doesn't always amount to real world success. So is it better to be a great team that always fails, or a mediocre team that sometimes exceeds expectations?

Despite being in a total free fall for the last 3 years, and never truly being a contender, and starting a rebuild in the year 2010 (and another one in 2018......) - and yet we still have more playoff series victories than supposed contenders like Toronto, or even Winnipeg in that same decade. Many other teams that were a mess 10 years ago are still a mess now.

And then we got the magic of the hamburglar run - which cant be forgotten or lost on us. For a fan it was the next best rush there could be aside from winning the cup itself (being the runner up is more bitter than sweet as we all know). The ultimate underdogs doing the unthinkable.

We dont have the resources or market to be a perpetual contender. And we need to accept that we're going to win and lose in cycles.

Obviously we would like to see more consistency from this Chabot/Tkachuk core group than the Karlsson lead core had. And that we win a cup during our peak window. But I feel like we are a little over dramatic about our suffering some days. We get out of our ruts quickly. and keep on drafting well enough to punch above our own weight class. So to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I was just coming in to say it’s a bit concerning that a contract isn’t done yet.

Good news! Like the term

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A lot of money, but not exactly something that will hurt us.

Will be harder to trade away should we want to because of the backloaded deal, but we are paying someone, so I won't complain.

Reactions: Karl Prime and Deku

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
That's a lot of money, but the term isn't bad.

Here's hoping he can be a good starter for us. If not......

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
More than I expected, we really need to see Stanley cup champion Murray for that money. Nice to see us spending real money though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad