Confirmed with Link: Matt Murray to Ottawa for Jonathan Gruden + 2020 2nd (52nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
this was a waste of a trade. There's so many goalies that can be had in this market. A h well, at least he's young enough to be a goalie in the long term plans

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Yes the same team that did not make the playoffs the previous season 2015/16 and the season after 2017/18. That 2017 ECF run was pure luck.

i wouldn't say pure luck. I think everybody was on the same page and ''whatever it take'' mentality( management,players and coaches). Boucher system was working that year too... With all that, they had a good run!

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
this was a waste of a trade. There's so many goalies that can be had in this market. A h well, at least he's young enough to be a goalie in the long term plans

I don't think it was a waste.

Of the goalies available, there isn't one out there that:
a) has a combination of being under 30 and still being good
b) willing to play for a rebuilding team

Over the next week the goalie market is going to dry up real quick.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The last time the Sens were seen as a contender was sub 2010. It’s been a decade of mediocrity.

If you consider anything less than contending to be mediocre (implying not worth your time) then you should simply stop caring about the Senators.

We are one the smallest market teams in the League, have no corporate support and have a terrible owner.

We aren't going to be a real contender anytine soon and we won't be one for long if we even get there.

The 10's saw the Pesky Sens, the Hamburglar run and a run to the ECF. That is definitely more than mediocre.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
If you consider anything less than contending to be mediocre (implying not worth your time) then you should simply stop caring about the Senators.

We are one the smallest market teams in the League, have no corporate support and have a terrible owner.

We aren't going to be a real contender anytine soon and we won't be one for long if we even get there.

The 10's saw the Pesky Sens, the Hamburglar run and a run to the ECF. That is definitely more than mediocre.
Well, there’s a difference than a team making moves and improving every year VS a team that misses the playoffs every other year.

Pesky Sens: Short season with goalies putting historic number.
Hamburger run: 20 games of a goalie getting hot
ECF run: Karlsson + an easy path to the ECF.

Reactions: albator71

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well, there’s a difference than a team making moves and improving every year VS a team that misses the playoffs every other year.

Pesky Sens: Short season with goalies putting historic number.
Hamburger run: 20 games of a goalie getting hot
ECF run: Karlsson + an easy path to the ECF.

I won't argue that it was peaks and valleys and that has proven to be very frustrating.

My only point is we had some great highs: all three of those runs were a ton of fun. I think I have more fond memories of the Hamburglar run or the 2017 ECF run than I do of the run to the SCF in 2007.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sens are going to have to over pay him to keep him a la Ricky Bobby.

A bit different here in that Bobby was a UFA while Murray is a RFA and we had given up a lot more for Bobby. Worst case you can always take it to arbitration and get a 1 year deal done and see where that takes you. I don't think Murray gets a 7-8M deal even next season with the current state of the NHL.

I'm sure Murray's agent and Dorion were in discussions prior to the trade. I think either he gets a longer term deal (4-5 years) at lower AAV or a shorter term deal (3 years) with a bit higher AAV.

The absolute worst outcome of this situation is that we have a goalie for a year and gave up a 2nd rounder and to me that's not the end of the world.

Oct 10, 2010
They have said 2 times now he's not in the feature plans - Murray's not going to be here long-term.

Even Murray said he hopes to sign here for a " few years " most likely 3 if the report is correct.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They have said 2 times now he's not in the feature plans - Murray's not going to be here long-term.

Even Murray said he hopes to sign here for a " few years " most likely 3 if the report is correct.
Which report ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Goalies tend to become starters at around 26 years old, so him being here till one of the young guys is ready could anything form Daccord in 2 to 3 years to Mandolese or Sogaard in 6 years. I think the key is they want him to be here till someone pushes him out, so a 3 or 4 year deal allows you to re-evaluate where you are at and act accordingly.

If he's still playing well when our prospects are playing big roles and we are a competitive team, i imaging both parties will have no issues keeping it going, saying he isn't part of the future plans makes it sound like he's as good as gone after whatever deal they sign is up which to me doesn't make much sense

Reactions: bert
Oct 10, 2010
Goalies tend to become starters at around 26 years old, so him being here till one of the young guys is ready could anything form Daccord in 2 to 3 years to Mandolese or Sogaard in 6 years. I think the key is they want him to be here till someone pushes him out, so a 3 or 4 year deal allows you to re-evaluate where you are at and act accordingly.

If he's still playing well when our prospects are playing big roles and we are a competitive team, i imaging both parties will have no issues keeping it going, saying he isn't part of the future plans makes it sound like he's as good as gone after whatever deal they sign is up which to me doesn't make much sense
I was talking about the mindset now Anything could happen years from now but if things work out the way the organization thinks with one of our young goalies breaking out he's as good as gone obviously.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was talking about the mindset now Anything could happen years from now but if things work out the way the organization thinks with one of our young goalies breaking out he's as good as gone obviously.

I look at is he is seen as their guy, and he will mentor the young guys. Until one of them actually pushes him out, Murray is in our futur plans. No team is foolish enough to assume their prospects will for sure become starters.

Reactions: GCK and bert

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I look at is he is seen as their guy, and he will mentor the young guys. Until one of them actually pushes him out, Murray is in our futur plans. No team is foolish enough to assume their prospects will for sure become starters.

Absolutely. Murray is our guy for the future until/if someone pushes him out. Anderson was also supposed to be a stop-gap until Lehner and Bishop were ready.

Murray is an absolutely perfect position to turn things around. There won't be anywhere near the amount of pressure he was under in Pittsburgh. He'll get plenty of time to find his game and hopefully peak with the rest of the new core. It's crazy to think he's only 26.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A 2 time SC winner who is just 26 yrs old for a 2nd rd pick & Gruden who I like, but was probably not a future player for this team, that has to be a steal of a deal. Two SC rings in the room, that is what players play for, that has to be motivating for a young team.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I literally can't bring myself to watch Murray highlights in a Pens jersey.

But I'm excited for his possible re-emergence!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it was a waste.

Of the goalies available, there isn't one out there that:
a) has a combination of being under 30 and still being good
b) willing to play for a rebuilding team

Over the next week the goalie market is going to dry up real quick.
Totally agree it was a terrific trade up to this point I believe its Dorions best. He leveraged the market and aquired a 2 time Stanley Cup winning goalie who is the perfect age to grow with the team. Goalies mature late he is only going to get better while bringing maturity and leadership to a team that dearly needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad