Player Discussion Matt Murray (G) - Part 2

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hated the trade for Murray. That’s being said I’m a big believer in motivated athletes, and Murray is going to have a chip on his shoulder about as big as it can get.

I’ll take Forsberg over Murray I’m not worried, but being fair to Mirray he’s still got at least 100 quality NHL starts in him, just have to see if they are in the next two seasons or spread over the next 7 seasons.

He only needs to be aloud for 2 months for this to work for Dubas - it’s a gamble

Peace out, lmao.

Won’t lie, he gave us some of the best goaltending stints since prime Anderson.

But he is broken mentally and physically.

Seems like a great guy personally, someone you’d want as a neighbour. But he’s got a vibe about him that makes you feel he’s not enjoying himself on the ice.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm glad we were able to move on, I had no confidence in him at this point. I hope he does well in Toronto (ugh... I feel dirty saying that, maybe not too well, just well enough to be a disaster I guess) because I don't take issue with the player, things just didn't work out and health getting in the way always sucks for a player.

That said, it was a big risk trading for and signing a goalie to a big contract who:
- had not been good when we acquired him
- had a bit of an injury issue in the past
- was apparently overhauling his style the offseason we picked him up

In the end, it cost us a 2nd, a 3rd, a conditional 6th and 13.75 million dollars to have a two year experiment with him, that's not too bad of a risk when the potential payoff is a youngish #1 goalie with a couple cups under his belt, and he'd never have been available if there wasn't some downside, it didn't work out though so I'm happy to move on.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Weird player for us. He had some moments where he was fantastic. Not many, due to injuries, inconsistencies and poor play around him. But those flashes were pretty sweet. I wish him well, seems like a good dude. Kinda think he's more or less done though.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
I really liked his play when when he was on point, Hope he gets healthy and figures things out with his personal stuff.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Incredibly unlucky last year and was pulling for him. But he has a weak glove hand and a weak mind. I hope going to Toronto he will be mentally prepared for it, but Dubas just did what Dorion did...and is a fantastically risky move by him. Could cost his job

Reactions: Sweatred

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Seeing stories about how Murray is going to be super motivated now. Shouldn't he have been super motivated when he came to Ottawa? But that sure didn't happen.

Here's what's going to happen next season:

He's going to stink to start the season.

Then he'll have a good stretch of about 4 games in a row. That'll end when someone bumps into him and he's out for 6 weeks.

He'll return and stink some more until the Leafs have either traded for another goalie or been eliminated from the playoffs.

Then he'll look good to great before another injury takes him out of the lineup for the last 2 weeks of the season.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: Yak

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I wish him good luck with the Leaf but hope that he plays just as well as he did for the Sens.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stylizer1

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Hard to wish a guy well when he’s going to the Leafs, but I hope he redeems himself (a little bit)

Unfortunately I think Toronto will eat him alive.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wish him well. I hope he can revive his career , be solid and that the Leafs go out in R1 to the Ottawa Senators

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Good luck to him. I never had anything against Murray and it wasn't his fault Dorion overpaid for him in acquisition and his 4 year deal. I hope whatever he does next, may he have full health and the only time I wish him to suck, is next time Ottawa plays Toronto and we light him up for 5 goals!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad