Speculation: Matt Duchene Mega-Megathread | Volume IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
and I don't see Sakic dealing with Snow after the all of the s*** that the Islanders threw at him.

Yeah, poor Sakic....

The Islanders are out of it because they no longer have a defenseman to trade. Unless Colorado shifts gears and starts looking toward draft pick and forward prospect centered deals.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I wonder if Colorado is firmly at the bottom of the standings by Thanksgving(doing away with the fantasy that Sakic wants something to make the Avs competitive now) that Sakic will consider accepting a package of prospects instead of a current NHL defenseman?

If so Nashville would be back in the game, but if the demand remains a current top 4 Dman, then nashville is not a player

Sakic is in a tough situation. The longer he holds on to Duchene and drags this out, the worse he looks if he doesn't get what he has been asking for all along. If someone cracks and gives up a bounty for Duchene, Sakic can at least turn around and point to the return he got as a way of vindicating this farce he has created.

In short, I can't see that happening. Sakic has to die with his boots on here. His only other option might be to pull a Subban/Weber by trading Duchene for another comparable player of a different style so at least fans feel like their team didn't sell low.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
so you want bellows, 2 first round picks and a second round pick.......for matt duchene? this is the same matt duchene that plays for colorado right? or is there another matt duchene in the NHL that im unaware of?
if its for the colorado matt duchene id say hell no from a long island stand point.....thats highway robbery. what has duchene done that makes him worth that much? we have seen him drop from 70 to 41 points over the last four years......and we have seen him quit on his team three months into the season. gee, that makes bellows and the three draft picks sound like a real bargain.

Fair enough, both 1sts & Beauvillier it is :dunno:

Yeah, poor Sakic....

The Islanders are out of it because they no longer have a defenseman to trade. Unless Colorado shifts gears and starts looking toward draft pick and forward prospect centered deals.

Just saying, given the way the avs tend to av out; they won't want be in any hurry to deal with someone who played around in the media the way Snow did. That's why Jarmo & Polie keeping their mouths shut was the give away that those organizations were actually players for Duchene. This organization is stupid stubborn about some stupid s***, and approaching them the correct way is one of those things.

2 subpar years? Are you count 2011-12?

Savage.

Check his last three years.

You mean the 4 months between NYE 2017 and the season's end?

I wonder if Colorado is firmly at the bottom of the standings by Thanksgving(doing away with the fantasy that Sakic wants something to make the Avs competitive now) that Sakic will consider accepting a package of prospects instead of a current NHL defenseman?

If so Nashville would be back in the game, but if the demand remains a current top 4 Dman, then nashville is not a player

Fiala should be the centerpiece of a Duchene to Nashville trade, with your first and something between Kamenev/Girard/Carrier.

Also other teams simply have more to offer picks/prospect wise especially given the fact that Fabbro as a RHD is a pretty bad fit IMO...

If we are talking picks and propects, teams like NYI, Ottawa, Columbus or even Carolina for that matter would have Nashville pretty easily beat (especially given where I believe your picks will end up) if they just wanted to. Especially given the fact that Poile would have to give a bit more thanks to being in the same division,

Not many forward prospects from these teams that I'd prefer to build this trade around than Fiala...assuming Francis doesn't develop a gambling problem. And Girard is one of the better LHD prospects that these teams would offer us. I think you are under-rating the kind of young talent that could be had from Nashville without disrupting their top 4.

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Not many forward prospects from these teams that I'd prefer to build this trade around than Fiala...assuming Francis doesn't develop a gambling problem. And Girard is one of the better LHD prospects that these teams would offer us. I think you are under-rating the kind of young talent that could be had from Nashville without disrupting their top 4.

I don't consider Fiala a prospect anymore and pretty sure that poster didn't either...

Fiala++ would be somewhat interesting but given that I don't really like Fabbro as the D prospect coming back given our riches at RHD and given that to me the difference between McAvoy and Fabbro was a bit too visible the few times I have watched them.

I also think that 1st wuld be very late with Duchene.

So yeah. They could do it. But I am pretty sure atleast their fans wouldn't want to give up what I would want when it comes to shipping Duchene inside the division to a team we know he would re-sign with...

@ Scherbak, McCarron, Fucale and 1st:

Laughable.

Basically every prospect the Habs fans are down on and a 1st round pick. Not even 1 defensive piece included.

Hell no.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fiala would be insanely good for the spot next to MacKinnon & Rantanen, and I'd be very happy to get our hands on Girard & the very last pick of the round with Fiala at this point. Girard is tiny, but it's hard not to be intrigued by that skating, skill & smarts...especially if you're as hard on the 'draft a LHD with our 1st unless the lotto gods give us the second pick' train as I am. With Girard and our own drafted LHD suddenly that side of our D would look well on it's way to becoming genuine quality.

2018 1st (Dahlin / McIsaac / Smith)
Zadorov
Bigras / Girard
Lindholm / Barberio / Mironov / Boikov / Anderson

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Sakic is in a tough situation. The longer he holds on to Duchene and drags this out, the worse he looks if he doesn't get what he has been asking for all along. If someone cracks and gives up a bounty for Duchene, Sakic can at least turn around and point to the return he got as a way of vindicating this farce he has created.

In short, I can't see that happening. Sakic has to die with his boots on here. His only other option might be to pull a Subban/Weber by trading Duchene for another comparable player of a different style so at least fans feel like their team didn't sell low.

Who is comparable for Duchene though? What is Duchene, a 1C? I'm not convinced he is. Maybe a couple years ago, but this garbage Colorado team has stunted his growth. I think he could be, but I'd prefer if he were a 2C on my team. Are we thinking like Jake Muzzin? Tyler Toffoli? Tanner Pearson? Gabe Villardi? Honestly, I really don't know. Can someone tell me?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Who is comparable for Duchene though? What is Duchene, a 1C? I'm not convinced he is. Maybe a couple years ago, but this garbage Colorado team has stunted his growth. I think he could be, but I'd prefer if he were a 2C on my team. Are we thinking like Jake Muzzin? Tyler Toffoli? Tanner Pearson? Gabe Villardi? Honestly, I really don't know. Can someone tell me?

These are all good questions.
First of all, why IS Colorado trying to trade Duchene? Why not Landy or Barrie or ?
Why him specifically?
And then what are they trying to accomplish?
Better team now? Better team for later? A mix of both? A mix of both probably doesn't happen.
You get someone at a position you require comparable to what you rate Duchene as OR you get pieces that make you better/mix with what you intend to build. Like a Hall/Larsson. To that effect not comparing players. But you don't get a Larsson + a 1st + a top prospect. No way.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You get someone at a position you require comparable to what you rate Duchene as OR you get pieces that make you better/mix with what you intend to build. Like a Hall/Larsson. To that effect not comparing players. But you don't get a Larsson + a 1st + a top prospect. No way.

Been saying the same. Now convince Sakic, who has already turned down Hamonic, 1st and a prospect.

racoon

Dec 10, 2014
Mcniven Mete first+second 2018

I mean is it that bad for Colorado? For a reconstructing team, it's a pretty good ransom right?

Best junior goalie in the world, 19yo

London knights 1st dmen, 44pts in 50 games, shades of Rafalsky with epic skating/great hockey IQ, 19yo

First and second in a very strong draft

Great mix of quantity/quality while addressing the team needs... no?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I mean is it that bad for Colorado? For a reconstructing team, it's a pretty good ransom right?

London knights 1st dmen, 44pts in 50 games, shades of Rafalsky with epic skating/great hockey IQ, 19yo

No. Goalie prospects that are that far away from the NHL are not worth all that much until they have proven themselves atleast at the AHL level I would say.

Mete is a decent prospect but given his size and age very much a wildcard still.

Picks are nice.

But that package is missing a quality roster player or another top end prospect at the very least (Habs don't have one to add).

@All that Larsson crap:

I mean at this point if anyone would offer a 23 year old top pairing LHD for Duchene, this would be all over now.

But no one is willing to give up a player similar to what Larsson was back then. And everyone and their mother said that Edmonton very much overpaid on that one.

So who is our Larsson for Duchene?

I'd gladly trade Duchene for the left handed version of Larsson right now..

But there is no one available like Larsson for Duchene. So stop with the silly comparisons please.

No one is offering Larsson for Duchene. No one is asking for Larsson + 1st + top prospect.

But if you want to give us someone older and clearly worse than Larsson was back then, there obviously would have to be a significant add.

Landy is the captain and apparantely has told the management that he really does not want to be traded and wants to be part of the solution.

He also has another 4+ years on his contract while Duchene has only 2.
We also don't really have anyone that is as good defensively as he is in our forward group and thanks to his diminished output we wouldn't get even close to what he means to this franchise anyways.

That is why the rumors stopped after Boston balked at the asking price at the deadline.

Barrie has also 3 years left and he is one of our only 3 quality Ds....

And we can't even get someone remotely close to as good as Barrie for Duchene right now if one can believe the posters in here. So trading him only makes sense if we get a kings ransom for him.

And I struggle to see which team currently is willing to give up a kings ransom for him.

I'd like to trade him now personally for a couple of reasons. One of them to avoid the ******** 24 months rental talk that I have been listening to for way too long with Duchene in here and because we might already have drafted his replacement in Makar.

But Sakic can't even pull off one major move. Really can't ask for him making two of these. Especially if it means trading a quality D away after he couldn't even get us one for years...

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

too much for Duchene, mete is off the table. Sure Col will for sure not accept but thats a bit too much for my taste. Then u consider our only under 25 D we got is Juulsen and Mete along a bunch of B level prospects, u just know we cant gut our future defensively.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Just like it caught everybody off guard that Weber was put out there for Subban, all I'm saying is there is probably a GM who likes Duchene better than a comparable forward that they have under contract. Maybe it's a situation where the forward they give up is a winger.

Now I don't honestly believe in a million years the Senators would (or should) trade Stone for Duchene, but I brought that up in a past post. Let's say the Sens get really wacky and are concerned about Stones foot speed or something like that and offer that up. A situation like that gives Sakic a comparable (or maybe better depending on who you ask...) forward in a 1 for 1 deal so he can wash his hands of this situation and move on without having to accept a package deal. He can portray it as "so and so wasn't on the table this time last year, we think he's a better fit for our squad" similar to what MTL did with Weber.

They aren't exactly comparable situations because MTL was on the clock due to Subban's impending NMC. But hopefully the comparison I am trying to draw makes sense here. I really don't know which forward someone else would offer up, but I think if something like this did happen, it'd be a guy who wasn't exactly being shopped and we'd all be taken by surprise.

It's just a baffling situation. Sakic's backed himself in a corner where if he doesn't get this amazing package for Duchene, he'll look like an idiot; But if Sakic keeps this Duchene circus going any longer, he'll also like like an idiot. This term is sometimes overused on HF, but I think depending on how this entire thing ends, this is going into the fiiireeeable offense territory. It's a farce.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Stop with habs fan they don't like (and don't know) Duchene and all the proposition are laughable. And for be honestly the 1 need for the avs is LD ans montreal don't have a good young LD. Mete had a good rookie trainning camp but is not nhler for sure. Mcniven is good junior goaler but the habs fan know better as everybody it 's not a guarantee of succes in nhl.(Fucale).1st pick wil be interesting if Montreal don't play a playoff but with Duchene probably they done.(even without ).

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Stop with habs fan they don't like (and don't know) Duchene and all the proposition are laughable. And for be honestly the 1 need for the avs is LD ans montreal don't have a good young LD. Mete had a good rookie trainning camp but is not nhler for sure. Mcniven is good junior goaler but the habs fan know better as everybody it 's not a guarantee of succes in nhl.(Fucale).1st pick wil be interesting if Montreal don't play a playoff but with Duchene probably they done.(even without ).

Huh?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

[fieldset=Translation/Cleanup Attempt]Stop bothering to talk with Habs fans; they don't really know or appreciate Duchene's value so all their proposals are laughable. Let's be honest, here - the #1 need for the Avs is a LHD, and Montreal doesn't have a good young one. Mete had a good initial training camp, but he's not a for-sure NHLer. McNiven is a good junior goaltender, but Habs fans should know better than most that being good in juniors is no guarantee of NHL success (i.e. Fucale). The Habs' 1st round pick might be interesting if Montreal doesn't make the playoffs, but with Duchene they probably would make it (indeed, they could make it without him).[/fieldset]
Basically, "the Habs can't give us what we want so stop talking to them" mixed in with a criticism of that Mete/McNiven/1st/2nd proposal.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
[fieldset=Translation/Cleanup Attempt]Stop bothering to talk with Habs fans; they don't really know or appreciate Duchene's value so all their proposals are laughable. Let's be honest, here - the #1 need for the Avs is a LHD, and Montreal doesn't have a good young one. Mete had a good initial training camp, but he's not a for-sure NHLer. McNiven is a good junior goaltender, but Habs fans should know better than most that being good in juniors is no guarantee of NHL success (i.e. Fucale). The Habs' 1st round pick might be interesting if Montreal doesn't make the playoffs, but with Duchene they probably would make it (indeed, they could make it without him).[/fieldset]
Basically, "the Habs can't give us what we want so stop talking to them" mixed in with a criticism of that Mete/McNiven/1st/2nd proposal.

Thank you for the clarification

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I'd be comfortable with going as far as

Juulsen
Poehling or Ikonen
1st 2018
1st 2019

If that's not enough , I understand and I don't think Habs are a fit.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

I don't think anyone will give the Avs what they want at this point. Duchene's value will likely drop a tom at the draft as many centres could be available, RNH, will likely be moved, Tavares,Turris, statsny are all pending UFA's. All of the's players will be in the same market as duchene.

Enthusiast17

Sep 13, 2017
I'd be comfortable with going as far as

Juulsen
Poehling or Ikonen
1st 2018
1st 2019

If that's not enough , I understand and I don't think Habs are a fit.

HAHAHAHA just stop Montreal, please.

You’re willing to totally gut your future for a borderline 1st line center? Okay :laugh:

This is actually a overpayment imo, but the rest of those Montreal proposals are just insulting.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Uh lol. Holy overpayment!

I love how when i proposed Murray + Anderson + 3rd for Duchene last February, people laughed at me and went over how pathetic the offer was. Even though all i was thinking of was that maybe this is too much.

And now it's considered overpayment.

HF is funny.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I really wish he would join the Habs. But another destination under-the-radar that hasnt been discussed much for Duchene is Ottawa. It make sense, the Sens lack offensive power. He would fit. Now Im not sure which dman here would interest Sakic, something close to Murray in terms of value. Cody Ceci and White? Pageau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad