Confirmed with Link: Matt Carle one year 700k

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Carle was a frequent healthy scratch in Tampa. He really fell off a cliff, but used to be highly regarded. Lots of good competition on the backend now

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Wow... not a big fan of this signing. Read any posts on the Lightning board for the last two years and Carle is consistently ripped to shreds, and for good reason. He has not been very good, even when you take his contract out of the equation. Cannot carry the puck at all, makes a lot of turnovers with it, misses defensive assignments left and right as well. I'd like to say maybe a change of system would be good for him, but the Lightning played a wide open, up-tempo system so coming to Nashville isn't going to do anything for him.

I can only hope that he finds chemistry with Bitetto and gets refocused, or that he's coming in primarily to be the number 7, he can have a decent game here or there, but it's never something where he strings together 2 or 3. I really hope i'm wrong...

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Not a Carle fan but it's a bottom pairing depth signing, and that ok I guess.

Funny though,

Carle, Bitetto, Granberg and Weber. Only 2 of those can play at a time if everyone is healthy.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Strange signing after resigning Granberg yesterday. Are we going to carry 8 d-men? Is a trade of a d-man in the works? Is Poile worried enough about the expansion draft that he would rather trade Ellis or Eckholm now in order to protect 7 forwards (vs. 4 d-men).

I'd still prefer 2-Bit and Granberg to the two washed up guys, but both signed cheap deals, so it isn't a bad thing. Let the four battle it out for the bottom 2 spots.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Not a Carle fan but it's a bottom pairing depth signing, and that ok I guess.

Funny though,

Carle, Bitetto, Granberg and Weber. Only 2 of those can play at a time if everyone is healthy.

which explains why Granbergs first year is two way, Im guessing.

I think 2Bit is going to be a lock(or enough of a lock to get 40 games and be eligible for the expansion draft) and Granberg starts the season in Milwaukee

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
which explains why Granbergs first year is two way, Im guessing.

I think 2Bit is going to be a lock(or enough of a lock to get 40 games and be eligible for the expansion draft) and Granberg starts the season in Milwaukee
Yeah, I think 2bit is a lock as well.

And you're probably right about Granberg as well.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
As a Tampa fan, I come in peace, as I love your team and hope to see the Preds play my Bolts up there one day.

But this is a mistake. Carle will give you 4, maybe 5 good games per season. He's lazy at the blue line, slow inaccurate passes, and does not press to keep the puck in the other team's zone.

Hopefully your team can cut him after camp and save the pain. You're better bringing up your young talent than gambling on him returning to form.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
As a Tampa fan, I come in peace, as I love your team and hope to see the Preds play my Bolts up there one day.

But this is a mistake. Carle will give you 4, maybe 5 good games per season. He's lazy at the blue line, slow inaccurate passes, and does not press to keep the puck in the other team's zone.

Hopefully your team can cut him after camp and save the pain. You're better bringing up your young talent than gambling on him returning to form.

Other than Granberg who looks to be AHL bound, we do not have any ready young talent.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Carle was signed because we don't have any young talent (as Preds33 said)

Im hoping he was lazy because he had a fat contract and didn't think he had to work. maybe being bought out and faced with the possibility of his career being over will make him a serviceable 6th Dman. If not he will be waived and sent to Milwaukee or ride the bench as a permascratch. For 700K its worth the gamble

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

In a best case scenario, Anthony Bitetto can outplay him and be the #3 LHD the majority of games and I certainly think that's possible. Either that or Carle actually proves himself as capable of a full-time spot. Either way I think we have room for improvement between Carle and Bitetto, I do think things could be worse.

Anyway, for what it's worth:

“It’s certainly a new chapter in my career, so I’m hoping that this will be an easy transition for myself and my family,” Carle said. “Even going back to the last time I was a free agent in 2012, Nashville was a place that was high on my radar. I’m really looking forward to getting into town, getting a fresh start and starting a new chapter in my career.”

Carle saw the most statistical success of his career while playing under Laviolette, hitting the 35-plus point mark for three consecutive seasons, including 40 points in 2010-11. With the interest in Nashville already present, a phone call with Laviolette may have sealed the deal.

“There’s a lot of familiarity there; he knows my game and I know what to expect from him as a coach,” Carle said. “He and I had a really good conversation before I made the decision to come there, and that made the decision much easier for me, knowing what my role would be and knowing what to expect going forward… I’ve had brief conversations with all three [Preds coaches] since I’ve made my decision, and I’m just really looking forward to getting there in September and getting going.”

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=890242

Still, whatever.

Last edited:

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
All I know is 2Bit is our #5, ain't no way either of the over-the-hill-gang are changing that.... But I like the idea of Carle as a #7 to start the year and letting Petter play full-time minutes at Milw at least for at least half a season and sharpening his game a bit more.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Cannt say i am surprised by this signing. Obciously poile and lavy didnt feel completely confident with the bottom pair situation just yet. I look upon carle as a much cheaper jackman type try. If he helps great, if he cannt cut it well so what. We now have 4 guys competing for 3 spots. Personally i think this means granberg is pushed to Mil. which i sort of dont like, but it does add some depth we need.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Cannt say i am surprised by this signing. Obciously poile and lavy didnt feel completely confident with the bottom pair situation just yet. I look upon carle as a much cheaper jackman type try. If he helps great, if he cannt cut it well so what. We now have 4 guys competing for 3 spots. Personally i think this means granberg is pushed to Mil. which i sort of dont like, but it does add some depth we need.

What worries me about the Granberg to Milwaukee is this means he will get waived and we did acquire him via waivers so I have a feeling he will be picked up.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
Carle fan here....I think this contract is the best thing that can happen to Matt. He doesn't have the weight of a $5.5 million salary hanging over him anymore, and now he knows nothing is guaranteed. He also knows this is his last shot to stick in the NHL.

Matt won the Hobey Baker award at DU many years ago. He is a good skater, albeit slow. He's also not very physical. But he does have good vision and he actually can move the puck if he knows there's a decent partner able to bail him out. He has good passing ability. Since he's not physical, he doesn't get injured very often, so he can play a lot of games. He can shoulder a lot of minutes too. I think it's a great risk/reward signing for Nashville.

He's a quiet guy who play best when he's not afraid of making mistakes. I hope he does well.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You need good vets to sit in the press box and play games when there's an injury. Better than constantly calling up a youngster.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Carle fan here....I think this contract is the best thing that can happen to Matt. He doesn't have the weight of a $5.5 million salary hanging over him anymore, and now he knows nothing is guaranteed. He also knows this is his last shot to stick in the NHL.

Matt won the Hobey Baker award at DU many years ago. He is a good skater, albeit slow. He's also not very physical. But he does have good vision and he actually can move the puck if he knows there's a decent partner able to bail him out. He has good passing ability. Since he's not physical, he doesn't get injured very often, so he can play a lot of games. He can shoulder a lot of minutes too. I think it's a great risk/reward signing for Nashville.

He's a quiet guy who play best when he's not afraid of making mistakes. I hope he does well.

I think he is going to surprise people. He's in a better situation now and with a familiar coach he excelled under before. I think he sees lots of time.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
everyone wanted this guy when he was an UFA a few summers ago. man, times have changed. just goes to show why poile is our GM and we are not.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
We need D depth for injuries since nobody in Milwaukee is ready and now we have another LHD. Bitetto, Carle, Weber, and Granberg will battle it out for the 3rd pairing.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I like the signing. It's gonna create some real competition for the bottom pairing. Couple different pairing ideas

Carle - Weber
Carle - 2 Bit (Similar to Jackman - 2 Bit but Carle is a lil more mobile/faster)
2 Bit - Weber (My preferenece if Weber pans out)
2 Bit Granberg

I don't see Carle getting paired up with granberg. Honestly the third pair might be strategically chosen dependent on the opponent

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
We need D depth for injuries since nobody in Milwaukee is ready and now we have another LHD. Bitetto, Carle, Weber, and Granberg will battle it out for the 3rd pairing.

Oligny is a lefty, 6'0" 203 pounds. He is a stay at home checker who doesn't put up with any garbage on the ice. He is NHL ready, a step slower than Bitetto, but a better defender.

He was probably the best Admirals D-man last season, 74 games, 3G, 11A, +14, 120 PIMs and 23 years old.

Carle is a one season gap filler who best days are behind him.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Why hasn't oligny got a call up then? Also wanted to see diaby get a call up

Because Oligny is not under contract with the Preds. He is on a straight AHL deal and is available to be signed by an NHL club much like Darling was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad