Confirmed with Link: Matt Bartkowski signed to PTO (Update, 2 year deal 2 way)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
An 'owski?

This actually could be a great move. Congratulations on starting a thread.

I guess the hope is that he might be a better fit with Brodie and stabilize that second pairing. My concern is that he might be Shane O'Brien. We'll see.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

This may also provide some information as to why they gave him a PTO.

Probably looking at a 2 year (this year and next) league minimum. I think Jyrki's time in Calgary is coming to an end.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

This may also provide some information as to why they gave him a PTO.

Probably looking at a 2 year (this year and next) league minimum. I think Jyrki's time in Calgary is coming to an end.

Kevin and TSpoon are very similar players IMO. I think this signing does two things:

1. Flexibility to move Jokipakka as a rental (I think we did't have any expansion eligible players if Jokkipakka is moved). Meets exposure requirements.
2. Vet signing for AHL, barrier to hop for kids to get into the 3rd pairing NHL. TSpoon replacement in the AHL if needed.

I don't see this as a Gulutzan connection. I think that this is a coincidence. This is a super great value signing in the same vein as the Tom McCollum for goalie exposure situation.

Though, I am curious why we could not have signed such a contract with him instead of the Grossman contract? I am curious to see the contract details.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Certainly don't see it as a move to play with Brodie. He doesn't fit the description in terms of management rumoured to want a RHD in that spot. Probably an expansion move if he's signed and a depth option should a Wideman/Engelland/Jokipakka trade come prior to the deadline.

Probably a way of remaining somewhat competitive for a playoff spot while selling off veterans at the deadline should that occur. IMO.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

100% to satisfy this if nothing else for expansion.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sens had him at training camp and while he could skate the puck up ice real well, that's about all he showed. If you guys signed him to play with Brodie, I think you're in trouble. If you signed him because you need a 6/7 guy that meets expansion exposure requirements, he's probably fine. Ottawa had a lot of fringe guys (Boroweicki, Claesson, and Chabot) going into the year, so Bartowski pretty much would have needed to prove he was a step above the guys already on contract, but from what he showed he wasn't even on par (small sample though).

Hope he works out for you, he's a great skater but don't expect a ton of offense, at least from what I saw.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sens had him at training camp and while he could skate the puck up ice real well, that's about all he showed. If you guys signed him to play with Brodie, I think you're in trouble. If you signed him because you need a 6/7 guy that meets expansion exposure requirements, he's probably fine. Ottawa had a lot of fringe guys (Boroweicki, Claesson, and Chabot) going into the year, so Bartowski pretty much would have needed to prove he was a step above the guys already on contract, but from what he showed he wasn't even on par (small sample though).

Hope he works out for you, he's a great skater but don't expect a ton of offense, at least from what I saw.

That's probably all we signed him for after all. I think I got my hopes up that he might be capable of playing as a #4.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If this is strictly for expansion and means none of Wideman, Engelland and Jokipakka are coming back next season, than fantastic move. Frees up the Flames to trade the aforementioned free agents at the deadline while Bartowski can then be waived next year to provide veteran leadership for the young defence in Stockton. Or he acts as the 7th defenceman with the Flames instead of a waiver exempt prospect like Kulak this year.

If this is to simply push Kulak down and Bartowski gets a regular shift, then terrible move.

No chance Bartowski goes from AHL'er to top-four next to Brodie overnight. That's something out of Darry Sutter's playbook (Lundmark), not Treliving's.

Most likely, signed Bartowski means the Flames don't have to overpay Jokipakka in short order just to meet the expansion draft requirements.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
One of those players you don't want anywhere on the ice. He is a good skater and we know Treliving loves them. I'm worried about what this means for Kulak.

We'll see how things plays out. If this means Jokipakka is traded for something of value, then it's all good.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm guessing that if this was a move made for expansion reasons, it must mean they don't plan on Jokipakka getting 40 games this season. So yeah, probably end of the road for him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If this is strictly for expansion and means none of Wideman, Engelland and Jokipakka are coming back next season, than fantastic move. Frees up the Flames to trade the aforementioned free agents at the deadline while Bartowski can then be waived next year to provide veteran leadership for the young defence in Stockton. Or he acts as the 7th defenceman with the Flames instead of a waiver exempt prospect like Kulak this year.

I don't think signing Bartkowski doesn't mean Wideman (probably won't), Engelland (Dunno) or Jokkipakka (Dunno) aren't back. It does give flexibility to trade them at the TDL and if we renegotiate a contract, I assume we won't have to add a few hundred thousand extra for expansion fodder bonus.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I'm guessing that if this was a move made for expansion reasons, it must mean they don't plan on Jokipakka getting 40 games this season. So yeah, probably end of the road for him.
40 games + RFA only apply for goaltenders. Skaters must be under contract next year. Maybe they just didn't want to be in a hurry to re-sign him, Engelland or Wideman.

Still, this does mean at least two of them won't be brought back, which is nice.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
One of those players you don't want anywhere on the ice. He is a good skater and we know Treliving loves them. I'm worried about what this means for Kulak.

We'll see how things plays out. If this means Jokipakka is traded for something of value, then it's all good.

Could ultimately be 'good' for Kulak. If he doesn't play he probably doesn't get claimed.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Could ultimately be 'good' for Kulak. If he doesn't play he probably doesn't get claimed.
It's something I've been worried about all season, but I imagine it depends on whether Vegas will co-affiliate with an existing AHL team or not. If they don't, I assume they'll take unestablished young players from the 2013 draft instead. They have to pick 30 players, so they'll want some waiver-exempt players believed to be equal or better players to fill the other new club.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Bartkowski might be the best puck carrying defenseman in the league, but he is severely held back by his utter lack of ability at everything else. It baffles me that a guy who's so good at skating with the puck isn't a solid all-round d-man.

If he does get signed that's probably the end of Jokipakka I bet.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
He's not good... at all. But he can't be any worse then Wideman or Jokipakka.

Definitely just for expansion draft reasons though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00