Proposal: Mats Zuccarello to EDM

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Please keep in mind this trade is purely based on neither NYR nor EDM moving up in the draft.

To Edmonton: Mats Zuccarello (1.5M retained) , 2018 NYR 2nd round pick.
To New York Rangers: 2018 EDM 1st round pick.

Edmonton upgrades their top 6 and slides Lucic down to the bottom 6. EDM would have a 2nd line of Zuccarello - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi or can slide Zuccarello up to the first line and RNH down to the second line.

Line option 1:
RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Zuccarello - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Line option 2:
Zuccarello - McDavid - Rattie
RNH - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

DbGPbHuUQAAXf4F.jpg:large

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
That's a bit much for one year of Zuc
Maybe if we traded the lower of the Boston or Tampa picks or take Lucic?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Edmonton isn't trading a top-10 pick for one year of Zuccarello.

There's no way that you can tell anyone with a straight face that you would do that if you Chiarelli and this is Chiarelli we're talking about. He's not stupid enough to do that.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
But why would Edmonton trade a top ten pick for one year of Zuc
Simply because they are trying to compete in 2018. Now if they are looking to use the pick and have that said asset be developed for a few years, that makes total sense, but from the talk of Peter Chiarelli open to moving the pick and wanting to be a playoff team next season, I think this could make some sense? Sure it's a rental, agreed which is why I reduced the cap hit (make it possible to resign their UFA's and RFA's) and giving them the NYR 2nd (which is the 39th overall pick) / could even argue the 1R pick from TB (30th overall).

Edmonton Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli sees the problems, but can he fix them?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think something a little more realistic would be Zuccarello to Edmonton and the Rangers and Oilers swap positions in the 1st and 2nd round (if the Oilers still have their own 2nd rounder - not sure if they do, sorry).

It's just a matter of moving up a couple of picks so the Rangers get a guy they have eyes on and if the Rangers want to take that 2nd rounder and try to get a 4th pick in the 1st round, they can and the Oilers get help in the top-6 for a year at a good a price and don't have to lose assets in the process.

I personally think it's a win-win deal.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Simply because they are trying to compete in 2018. Now if they are looking to use the pick and have that said asset be developed for a few years, that makes total sense, but from the talk of Peter Chiarelli open to moving the pick and wanting to be a playoff team next season, I think this could make some sense? Sure it's a rental, agreed which is why I reduced the cap hit (make it possible to resign their UFA's and RFA's) and giving them the NYR 2nd (which is the 39th overall pick) / could even argue the 1R pick from TB (30th overall).

I know theyre trying to compete now but trading a top ten pick for a rental is really dumb, even for Chia standards. Something like Kreider makes more sense for the oil's

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I think something a little more realistic would be Zuccarello to Edmonton and the Rangers and Oilers swap positions in the 1st and 2nd round (if the Oilers still have their own 2nd rounder - not sure if they do, sorry).

It's just a matter of moving up a couple of picks so the Rangers get a guy they have eyes on and if the Rangers want to take that 2nd rounder and try to get a 4th pick in the 1st round, they can and the Oilers get help in the top-6 for a year at a good a price and don't have to lose assets in the process.

The Rangers are higher in the draft than Edmonton, swapping picks makes no sense. Why would the Rangers give up Zuccarello to go back? I think what might be possible is another player being added or a better pick (NYR's late first).

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I know theyre trying to compete now but trading a top ten pick for a rental is really dumb, even for Chia standards. Something like Kreider makes more sense for the oil's
Kreider makes a whole lot of sense, but the only way NYR do that is if EDM moves up to say 2OA or 3OA then a 1:1 swap makes sense, but I don't think EDM would do that.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
EDIT: PREMISE BASED ON THE OILERS HAVING A HIGHER PICK THAN THE RANGERS AS DRAFT ORDER HAS NOT BEEN DETERMINED.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't want to trade Kreider just to move up. You could get a circus monkey to pull names out of a hat and he's going to be even money to pick better than the Rangers have over the last 20 years. Draft picks are good but giving up Kreider should get you back a good package, not just moving up a few spots.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

Why wouldnt Edmonton look for someone else with a little more term even though they are trying to compete now? Trying to compete now does not mean the same thing as trying to compete for one year.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Zuccarello could be extended for the next 4 years and he's still not worth a top 10 pick. Not a single GM would trade a top 10 pick for a 50 point, soon to be 31 year old winger.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, no OP. Not interested at all. Zuccarello simply does not have that much value to anyone.

It’s not just you. Habs fans have been trying to pawn one year of Pacioretty off on us for assets like our first/JP/RNH/Klefbom for six months now. It’s a no there and it’s a no here.

We’ve done enough stupid things with our high end assets. We need to be very, very careful with what remains.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Yeah, no OP. Not interested at all. Zuccarello simply does not have that much value to anyone.

It’s not just you. Habs fans have been trying to pawn one year of Pacioretty off on us for assets like our first/JP/RNH/Klefbom for six months now. It’s a no there and it’s a no here.

We’ve done enough stupid things with our high end assets. We need to be very, very careful with what remains.
That's totally fair, would another younger RFA winger make more sense?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wasn't going to suggest him actually. I just wanted an assessment of what is the need for EDM.

21-25 year old wingers with cost control and term. We’re not likely to move what’s likely 9th/10th overall for largely unproven assets though.

My guess is we’d offer up assets like 40th overall, 2019 picks, Benning, Caggiula, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad