Canadian National Championship Series - EDM vs. VAN

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
With Vancouver and Edmonton the last two Canadian teams and set to meet in the 2nd round, that will make their series the de facto Canadian National Championship.

How many times has something like that happened (outside of Stanley Cup Final matchups)?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Between the Oilers and Canucks, statistically, one of them will make it to the WCF

• Haha
Reactions: lawrence

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don’t really think of nationalities when it comes to NHL franchises.

There’s only one prize in the league and it isn’t some made up thing.

It’s like when Ottawa tried to artificially create something with Washington called the Capital Cup and it lasted like two years.

Reactions: Voight

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I don’t really think of nationalities when it comes to NHL franchises.

There’s only one prize in the league and it isn’t some made up thing.

It’s like when Ottawa tried to artificially create something with Washington called the Capital Cup and it lasted like two years.
I'd imagine among a not insignificant group of fans that being the farthest advancing Canadian team in any given season does come with some pride/bragging rights. I can certainly understand that over that "Capital Cup" thing. Sounds about as cool as my Canucks retiring the number 7 for the fans aka 7th men.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd imagine among a not insignificant group of fans that being the farthest advancing Canadian team in any given season does come with some pride/bragging rights. I can certainly understand that over that "Capital Cup" thing. Sounds about as cool as my Canucks retiring the number 7 for the fans aka 7th men.

Sure, but it’s not some kind of official “Canadian Championship” which I think is kind of silly.

The only time Canada matters in terms of winning is when it’s Team Canada.

Reactions: Voight and nucks88

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Sure, but it’s not some kind of official “Canadian Championship” which I think is kind of silly.

The only time Canada matters in terms of winning is when it’s Team Canada.
I agree 100% with everything you say here with the caveat it doesn't include the stupid World Junior Hockey Championships.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree 100% with everything you say here with the caveat it doesn't include the stupid World Junior Hockey Championships.

I like the World Juniors because it exposes me to some of the up and coming talent across the world, many of whom will be jumping to the NHL soon afterwards.

I like the World Championships because I get to see interesting line combinations and guys who don't ordinarily play with each other.

For bragging rights though, it comes down to "best on best" where there are no structural impediments to a team bringing their top players.

Reactions: nucks88

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I like the World Juniors because it exposes me to some of the up and coming talent across the world, many of whom will be jumping to the NHL soon afterwards.

I like the World Championships because I get to see interesting line combinations and guys who don't ordinarily play with each other.

For bragging rights though, it comes down to "best on best" where there are no structural impediments to a team bringing their top players.
The only international play I personally enjoy is played at the same time as the WJHC and appears to take place in a snow globe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad