Confirmed with Link: Mats Zuccarello Re-signs (1 year, $1.15M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How much does those agents get on a average basis? And how much is there for a decent apartment in Manhattan?

Would he be able to hang out with his friends McDonaugh and Stepan without getting brooke or bleed finasely? :)

Depends on what you mean by decent, and what part of Manhattan.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
So is there a wing that Zucc play better on? Or can he play both at anytime? Wondering from those who have seen him play more than his stints with the Rangers (primarily on the right, correct?)

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I don't believe this thread. No wonder it's a million pages when:

- Every form of criticism, warranted or not, is met with "you're a hater"
- Every positive mention is met with: "he's not a ppg player" or "you're a fanboy".

The kid is a fringe player that we all (yes RB and BRB too) are hoping will make it, who has shown glimpses of offensive brilliance but also clear weaknesses that could make it hard for him to last in the NHL.

This guy probably has more posts about him (excluding gdts) than all our other players combined the last 12 months - even if you don't include the Norwegian contributions, and he hasn't even been a Ranger (with a contract) for two of them.

So is there a wing that Zucc play better on? Or can he play both at anytime? Wondering from those who have seen him play more than his stints with the Rangers (primarily on the right, correct?)
He's slightly better on the RW, at least he gets off a better shot from there, but with MZA, which wing is less important than which guy plays the opposite wing. Play him on LW with Cally and Richards or Brass and I think he'll thrive.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't believe this thread. No wonder it's a million pages when:

- Every form of criticism, warranted or not, is met with "you're a hater"
- Every positive mention is met with: "he's not a ppg player" or "you're a fanboy".

The kid is a fringe player that we all (yes RB and BRB too) are hoping will make it, who has shown glimpses of offensive brilliance but also clear weaknesses that could make it hard for him to last in the NHL.

This guy probably has more posts about him (excluding gdts) than all our other players combined the last 12 months - even if you don't include the Norwegian contributions, and he hasn't even been a Ranger (with a contract) for two of them.

This is a good post. I agree with every word.

Im just trying to find out why Zuccarello gets so much attention, and the only reason I can think of is because hes short and hes Norwegian. And, thats just not a good enough reason to be above criticism for me.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim

Im just trying to find out why Zuccarello gets so much attention, and the only reason I can think of is because hes short and hes Norwegian. And, thats just not a good enough reason to be above criticism for me.

Is he though or does he merely have a couple of eager defenders? I think the clear majority of this board see him for what he is. I also think he won a lot of hearts by playing more physical than players half his size. He had a couple of hits in the offensive zone which eventually led to goals, he backchecks hard and blocks shots. Making up (or trying to make up ) for lack of size with effort and physicality rarely goes unappreciated by fans.

He needs to bulk up more, improve his shot, skating and defensive positioning (all areas where he has already improved since 2011). If he can do that, he'll be a top six player. If he can't, he'll likely be a 40-50 game player in the NHL or go to Europe.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

This is completely true. :laugh:

Maybe also the fact that this team has been starved for skilled forwards, and a decent PP.

What's Zucc's NA equivalent?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This is completely true. :laugh:

Maybe also the fact that this team has been starved for skilled forwards, and a decent PP.

What's Zucc's NA equivalent?

I'd like the team to shop for another guy that averages .5ppg despite limited minutes that will play for 1.15 mill in salary but he has to be under 5-9 and from Sweden or Norway because those are the only kind of players I like. Hence my screen name and avatar of Nicky Fotiu :D

Bardof425*

Yes. Pedestrian rate.

When your offensive creativity and abilities are continuously and incessantly gushed over, yet the production is .5 PPG while possessing no other attributes, its the very definition of pedestrian.

Poor choice of words. Zucc hounds the puck, he steals the puck, he uses his body (even without stature) and he is great in shootouts. He has other attibutes above and beyond the stat which states how many points he accumulates per game. This is the worst kind of oversimplification to hammer a guy who gave our O some spark when the creativity level on the team was almost nil.

This is a very good signing.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Poor choice of words. Zucc hounds the puck, he steals the puck, he uses his body (even without stature) and he is great in shootouts. He has other attibutes above and beyond the stat which states how many points he accumulates per game. This is the worst kind of oversimplification to hammer a guy who gave our O some spark when the creativity level on the team was almost nil.

This is a very good signing.

Ha, this is rich. I really respect your opinion on the subject given your misadventures with Brian Boyle.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
If every forward produced 0.5 PPG for every 1,15 millions of salary, we should score something like 10 goals a game. Given no contribution from the defense.

Hockey is so easy to calculate.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
If every forward produced 0.5 PPG for every 1,15 millions of salary, we should score something like 10 goals a game. Given no contribution from the defense.

Hockey is so easy to calculate.

Just as you can't say that Brian Boyle is a 20 goal scorer even if he has done it once, you can't say that MZA is a 0,5PPG player. It's true he has produced at that pace, but until he has done it with some consistency and played at least a full NHL season your statement is premature.

At 1,15 he's very cheap and a low/no-risk gamble. If he does produce at 0.5PPG upholding a high corsi rating, he'll have earned a bigger contract.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

A lot of it has to do with the fact that he's viewed as a huge underdog that shows glimpses of real world star passing (glimpses, I'm not saying he's that good consistently). If our forwards capitalized on his passes more frequently, his own .ppg goes up dramatically. People "get" that.

Plus fans tend to like someone small who tilts their head upwards and stares people-mountains straight in the face and goes "come at me bro". It's very hard to dislike those types of personal characteristics, especially in a game like hockey where physicality is what earns you fans. And when you combine that with, say the hero dive in the PO's, you are going to have to kill a serious amount of cats before you get the fans to turn on you.

It's all down to charisma.

Last edited:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I like Zuc. I ate crow this season, because I thought he was gonna be a super scrub like before. But he did better and wouldn't mind seeing him again. He seems like he has the flashes to put it together, just needs to string it all up.

Bardof425*

Ha, this is rich. I really respect your opinion on the subject given your misadventures with Brian Boyle.

Not interested in your respect. I stated numerous times that boyle wpuld produce no offense and should be on the 4th line. He amassed 5 big points last year. What misadventure. I am however interested in you beginning to think before you write. That would improve the Board.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Not interested in your respect. I stated numerous times that boyle wpuld produce no offense and should be on the 4th line. He amassed 5 big points last year. What misadventure. I am however interested in you beginning to think before you write. That would improve the Board.

Your misadventure is that he is not an offensive player. I guess you don't understand that defensive play, PK, faceoffs, etc also have a impact on the game.

He was also one of our best players in the playoffs for 2 years in a row. Offensively, too.

Dagh

Dec 10, 2007
At 1,15 he's very cheap and a low/no-risk gamble. If he does produce at 0.5PPG upholding a high corsi rating, he'll have earned a bigger contract.

That's basically my take on it too, and if he gets some time on the ice next year, I think he'll put up more than that.

For the "he'll be worn down to a nub" crowd, are there any statistics to say that smaller players get worn down quicker than others?
They may start out with a disadvantage, but are they targeted as much? Are they as easy to line up for hits?
Or is this assumed purely on intuition?

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
That's basically my take on it too, and if he gets some time on the ice next year, I think he'll put up more than that.

For the "he'll be worn down to a nub" crowd, are there any statistics to say that smaller players get worn down quicker than others?
They may start out with a disadvantage, but are they targeted as much? Are they as easy to line up for hits?
Or is this assumed purely on intuition?

Good point: Seems a bit contrary to what appears to be the oldest players currently playing in the League, where most of the oldest players (35+) seem to be below average height (median app 186 cm):

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?season=2012&leagueid=NHL&nation=&sort=o35

Here's some stats on retirement in general:
http://www.quanthockey.com/Distributions/RetireeAgeDistribution.php

They sure have a short career expectancy, with many hours put in before and during their stint. No wonder they want to make the most of it while in the sircus.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Is he though or does he merely have a couple of eager defenders? I think the clear majority of this board see him for what he is. I also think he won a lot of hearts by playing more physical than players half his size. He had a couple of hits in the offensive zone which eventually led to goals, he backchecks hard and blocks shots. Making up (or trying to make up ) for lack of size with effort and physicality rarely goes unappreciated by fans.

He needs to bulk up more, improve his shot, skating and defensive positioning (all areas where he has already improved since 2011). If he can do that, he'll be a top six player. If he can't, he'll likely be a 40-50 game player in the NHL or go to Europe.

Are you referring to tiny babies? THAT is an insult :laugh:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Why is there so much expectation on a guy signed for $1.15M? :laugh:

Geez. 4th line guys get paid more and are expected to do less.

Zucca

Dec 26, 2010
Trondheim, Norway
mars_attacks1.jpg

Why can´t we all just get along?

And - let´s face it - this contract is a scoop for Sather/Rangers.

Attachments

• mars_attacks1.jpg
    mars_attacks1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Um.. no. Probably Richards and definitely Stepan.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Depends on what you mean by decent, and what part of Manhattan.

I have zero,nada knowledge about NY. I ment where its popular for hockey players to live (I have read that they have an expensive lifestyle). Is 1.15 before taxes enough, when most of your teammates earn a lot more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad