Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Another high scoring game and no points for Mats. Getting a sneaky feeling he'll be sent packing in a Trouba-deal if he keeps this up.

Zucc's 2nd period in particular was beastly, he was involved in everything. He had a highlightreel pass to Buch that was a Bishop pokecheck away from a goal.

He logged more minutes than any forward, again. AV puts him on the ice because he makes things happen. Just because it didn't convert in points yesterday doesn't mean he didn't produce.

Its not like Grabner scores 3 goals every night, or even nets points frequently either.

He's honestly playing a lot better hockey now than previous seasons, the team would make a big mistake short term to trade him if they think they have a cup shot with the current roster.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Another high scoring game and no points for Mats. Getting a sneaky feeling he'll be sent packing in a Trouba-deal if he keeps this up.

He scored 2 goals the last game when no one else managed to put the puck in the net. Relax, Zucc is one of, if not our most reliable twoway forward.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
And if you talk about good 2 way players - the cornerstones of Ranger defense contribution of forwards are Stepan, Zuci, and Nash in that order - that`s one of the reason we usually compete for a cup each year in the playoffs. They are not always on the scoreboard, but they are usually doing a great defensive job.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

If this keeps up? He is on pace for a career high in points, goals, and minutes. He has only been on the ice for around 2 or 3 goals against all season. If you expect Zooks to be Crosby or a every single game scoring robot you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Give the guy a break. He will have some great games, some good games and some quiet games just like 85% of the NHL players.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He scored 2 goals the last game when no one else managed to put the puck in the net. Relax, Zucc is one of, if not our most reliable twoway forward.

Two-way? Nah. Derek Stepan is the best forward on this team not named Nash, and the best two-way player by a mile

anofsti

May 14, 2011

No. His overall play, and point production, combined with a very very good contract will keep him around to at least the 18-19 season. The only player who must get signed next year is Ziba, but after that they need to fit Klein, Vesey, Miller, Heyes and Skjei - and I actually believe they'd rather trade Kreider contract unless Kreider has significantly better numbers this and next season. Right now, Zucc is Top Dog in terms of ice time for the Rangers

And I believe he is the best two-way forward on the team, and the stats support this.
ZDXqPp1.png

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It wasn't true for Brassard and it isn't true for Zucc: neither of them are better defensively than Derek Stepan.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
No. His overall play, and point production, combined with a very very good contract will keep him around to at least the 18-19 season. The only player who must get signed next year is Ziba, but after that they need to fit Klein, Vesey, Miller, Heyes and Skjei - and I actually believe they'd rather trade Kreider contract unless Kreider has significantly better numbers this and next season. Right now, Zucc is Top Dog in terms of ice time for the Rangers

And I believe he is the best two-way forward on the team, and the stats support this

What's Stepan's and Zucc's level of competition and zone starts look like?

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011

Zucc is playing great hockey so far this season. IMO better than last year, and even has more points than last year (7p/9g compared to last years 6p/9g). His game against Detroit was probably his best game this season, he was a beast. But no points in that game either.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
What's Stepan's and Zucc's level of competition and zone starts look like?
Zone starts 2015- present
Zuccrello OZ% 36.07 NZ% 26.78 DZ% 37.15
Stepan OZ% 31.36 NZ% 31.17 DZ% 37.46

IMO, a slight "advantage" to Stephan, but not enough difference to really make it matter.

QoC
Stephan +/- QoC 0.083
Zuccarello +/- QoC 0.01

So Stephan faces harder competition, but I'm not sure how much harder as I'm not too familiar with this stat.. Still don't think it makes up for the difference in shot suppresion - but I'm ready to change my mind if someone makes a strong enough argument.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I understand Zucc's name floating in trade rumors - deal from a position of strength and what not, but I think people are really, really underrating him on here.

He's a top 20 winger. He was 15th in even strength points for wingers last year, 20th in all situations.

Over the past 3 season (not including this year), he's 40th overall in points and 20th among wingers.

I'm not sure the offense is as flawless as we think at this moment, if Zucc is removed.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I understand Zucc's name floating in trade rumors - deal from a position of strength and what not, but I think people are really, really underrating him on here.

He's a top 20 winger. He was 15th in even strength points for wingers last year, 20th in all situations.

Over the past 3 season (not including this year), he's 40th overall in points and 20th among wingers.

I'm not sure the offense is as flawless as we think at this moment, if Zucc is removed.

Yeah, a good point - I believe it`s a gamble to move Zuci as well - similar if we move Stepan for Trouba due to center depth.
But do you think we can land Trouba with only a 1st pick + Ryan Graves or skjei?

anofsti

May 14, 2011
If any of our top wingers gets traded for Trouba right now, my money is on Kreider or Nash - but rumor has it they are requesting a young D-man in return, so I doubt that trade will ever happen

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
As much as we need to improve our defense, especially on the right side, I think a lot of people here are also underestimating the importance of the 'room.' Zucc means a lot to this team. Trading Brass and Zucc back to back wouldn't be sending a great message.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If any of our top wingers gets traded for Trouba right now, my money is on Kreider or Nash - but rumor has it they are requesting a young D-man in return, so I doubt that trade will ever happen

the rangers are not trading Chris Kreider.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Would be SKjei+Miller/Hayes/LIndberg/Fast/Pirri imo depending on what Jets want and what Gorton is willing to pay

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Haven't seen two players have the same chemistry that #20 and #93 have in a very long time. Jags/Nylander. I don't think there is a NYR forward that carries more worth then #20 does. Nor do I think there is a better forward for this system. Hate the idea of him included in any deal for Trouba...or Vatanen etc.

Nash...That's another story. But...he's looked really good here too.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I don't move Zuke, as far as i'm concerned he should be a Rangers icon with how good he is. There will be a lot of trivia questions about Zuke 25 years from now.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Am I the only one who doesn't like him with Kreider and Zibanejad?

I'd rather see Buchnevich there, Zucc with Hayes-Miller and Grabner back on the 4th.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Am I the only one who doesn't like him with Kreider and Zibanejad?

I'd rather see Buchnevich there, Zucc with Hayes-Miller and Grabner back on the 4th.
I expect that Buch will be moved back up, AV is probably just easing him back into the lineup. Well, hopefully :)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I expect that Buch will be moved back up, AV is probably just easing him back into the lineup. Well, hopefully :)

AV said he wanted to see Kreider-Zib-Zooks all along but Zooks missed the preseason. Zooks plays very well with Hayes so it does not matter to me. AV shows a lot of faith in Zooks if you look at minutes played. Would AV play PB those minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad