Confirmed with Link: Mason Marchment signed to a 4-year, $4.5m AAV contract

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Florida wasn't playing him with Reinhart and Lundell as a bottom 6 forward.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I keep hearing analyst say “they needed a winger to play in the top 6 with Benn & Seguin.

Not sure why they keep labeling Benn as a top 6 forward. That spot should be occupied by one of our young kids

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
He played 5th most minutes at 5 on 5, 4th if you don't count Giroux. He drops to 9th in all situations, definitely was not a 4th line player, but was heavily used at 5 on 5. You just have to adjust it to a per 60 rate because he only played 54 games.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I keep hearing analyst say “they needed a winger to play in the top 6 with Benn & Seguin.

Not sure why they keep labeling Benn as a top 6 forward. That spot should be occupied by one of our young kids

It tells you those analysts probably aren't worth listening to :laugh:

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
He played 5th most minutes at 5 on 5, 4th if you don't count Giroux. He drops to 9th in all situations, definitely was not a 4th line player, but was heavily used at 5 on 5. You just have to adjust it to a per 60 rate because he only played 54 games.

I suspect him not playing a ton on the PP is a big reason people are labeling him a Bottom 6/4th line player instead of actually looking at how he was used.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I suspect him not playing the PP is a big reason people are labeling him a Bottom 6/4th line player instead of actually looking at how he was used.

There also just wasn't room for him on those units with how stacked Florida was up front. Not like he couldn't beat out worse players above him or anything.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

The team labels them top 6 forwards because of their contracts and because every game starts with JeffK rumbling out THE CAPTAIN to huge cheers. They're probably both going to remain fixtures on the 2nd PP unit no matter how bad the unit is. It is what it is.

But maybe Marchment is a good guy to play with them to go win the puck battles they can't.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I feel like a lot of Stars fans are trying hard to convince themselves this is a good move.

It's a pretty massive question mark for me and I'm going to stay bearish because Benn and Seguin are two of the worst contracts in the NHL right now. I'm pretty confident in telling you guys that Mason Marchment won't fix that.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I feel like a lot of Stars fans are trying hard to convince themselves this is a good move.

It's a pretty massive question mark for me and I'm going to stay bearish because Benn and Seguin are two of the worst contracts in the NHL right now. I'm pretty confident in telling you guys that Mason Marchment won't fix that.

Anyone thinking that they can be fixed by any player except Benn and Seguin themselves is going to be disappointed. I don't think they should factor into Marchment's value at all.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Have to hope last season wasn't a fluke and that somehow he can average playing more than about 1/3-1/2 a season which he's never done except for last season's 54 games. That was the most he's played in a season going back to 61 his last season in the OHL (which was the most games he ever played in a junior season also).

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Anyone thinking that they can be fixed by any player except Benn and Seguin themselves is going to be disappointed. I don't think they should factor into Marchment's value at all.

Couple that with the historical data on Marchment and you've got a head-scratcher.

Our team is in no better position than they were last year, and I'd make the argument they're actually worse. I don't like Klingberg much at all as a player, but we're still worse off with that position being completely vacant.

Have to hope last season wasn't a fluke and that somehow he can average playing more than about 1/3-1/2 a season which he's never done except for last season's 54 games. That was the most he's played in a season going back to 61 his last season in the OHL (which was the most games he ever played in a junior season also).
4.5m for 4 years is a lot of hope to be riding on.

Better hope that one of Johnston/Stankoven come out of the gate putting up points. Going to be a shit season if not.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

Marchment was 3rd in 5v5 points per 60 in the entire NHL, behind Gaudreau and Marner and ahead of Matthews and Tarasenko. It's absolutely a fluke, I think the only question is 'how much?'

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Marchment was 3rd in 5v5 points per 60 in the entire NHL, behind Gaudreau and Marner and ahead of Matthews and Tarasenko. It's absolutely a fluke, I think the only question is 'how much?'
Right, I don't think anyone expects him to keep up a crazy 70+ point pace, but what if he delivers 60? Heck even 50 would make him the 4th highest scorer on last season's team.

This roster has a great top three, but there's a big drop off after them.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
pollyanna says it just means less wear and tear.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Any move to potentially add more offense to this team is a good move. It's expensive, but a risk we should take.

Reactions: Kipper 17

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Well, based on his career it seems likely that it was a ginormous fluke.

pollyanna says it just means less wear and tear.
I have no idea what he's missed time with so it could be a lot of literal wear and tear.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
No one should expect the output per game that he had last year, but he has crazy good metrics, is solid defensively and has potential to be a great offensive player. He adds size and physicality up front that the Stars really dont have (rip prime Benn), it just seems like 4x4.5 is a risk I think is worth taking

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Take care of March for us. You guys will love him if he can stay healthy.

Florida wasn't playing him with Reinhart and Lundell as a bottom 6 forward.
They were actually one of the best lines we had for a bit before Mason got hurt.

Reactions: LT

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Faksa was 5th on our team in 5v5 TOI/G among regular forwards except unlike Marchment he was on our top PK unit. If Marchment was a top 6 forward for the Panthers, Faksa was for the Stars.

Top/Bottom 6 is a terrible designation anyway and getting way more focus than it deserves in this thread. What matters is that Marchment had a great and productive season and demonstrated that he's ready for a promotion. The Stars agreed and decided to give him a promotion, except instead of adding PK to his responsibilities and offering him the Glendenning contract (which Marchment will 100% refuse) they needed to pitch him a much more substantial promotion.

There's a risk because what the Stars signed him to do in Dallas is not what he was doing in Florida. Nobody is paying a player $4.5M to be 8th among forwards in TOI like he was in Florida (excluding Giroux). He's being paid, at a minimum, to kill penalties while maintaining his production against tougher competition. That's a lot to ask for a player like him.

If he kills penalties, plays tough minutes, and fails to produce any offense -- well we already consider Faksa to be pretty overpaid...

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Got my favorite free agent target each of the last 2 years with Hakanpaa and now Marchment; Exciting. Don't love the fit if I'm being honest, wish we had more playmaking to pair with him so I certainly hope Wyatt can make an impact sooner rather than later.

Love going after late bloomers with small sample sizes as a general strategy, always happy to take that gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad