Confirmed with Link: Mason Marchment signed to a 4-year, $4.5m AAV contract

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Well Mason, Get ready to try and revitalize Seguin's career while proving last year wasn't a fluke.

I believe in you! Don't let us down because that money is .... scary/surprising.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
So he is big and good defensively. How much does he need to produce to be worth the contract? I wouldn't expect him to continue his 70 point pace but if he puts up 50 points, is that enough to justify the contract?

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
So he is big and good defensively. How much does he need to produce to be worth the contract? I wouldn't expect him to continue his 70 point pace but if he puts up 50 points, is that enough to justify the contract?

Yes. 50 would be #4/5 winger production. If you go look at player output, then he is basically what the organization lacks. I can't read advanced stats well enough to answer if he is capable of generating his own offense, but that would be a huge plus.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
His analytics are firmly in the 'too good to be true' category. His on ice shot percentage is too high, his shot percentage is too high, and he averaged just a smidge over 2 shots a game this year. His possession numbers are amazing. Unfortunately, he did it on the most dominant offensive team in the entire league. A rising tide lifts all boats type of situation. He has virtually zero track record before this season and is 27 years old.

Could this work out? Sure, it could, but I'd give it better than even odds this blows up in their faces. At least it's only $4.5Mx4, but the range of outcomes is incredibly wide, from Marchment is a star who broke out incredibly late to him being a replacement level NHLer who had a hot streak on a team where virtually everyone looked good offensively.

I'm not a fan of this signing, felt like he was one of the biggest 'trap' players in UFA along with the obvious ones like Kadri. I hope they stick him on the first line where they can surround him with some very good players, which will give him the opportunity to succeed in a complementary role and give one of the other three guys the ability to create offense with another scoring line.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm guessing the decision to basically make this buyout proof was done to not have trade protection.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
His analytics are firmly in the 'too good to be true' category. His on ice shot percentage is too high, his shot percentage is too high, and he averaged just a smidge over 2 shots a game this year. His possession numbers are amazing. Unfortunately, he did it on the most dominant offensive team in the entire league. A rising tide lifts all boats type of situation. He has virtually zero track record before this season and is 27 years old.

Could this work out? Sure, it could, but I'd give it better than even odds this blows up in their faces. At least it's only $4.5Mx4, but the range of outcomes is incredibly wide, from Marchment is a star who broke out incredibly late to him being a replacement level NHLer who had a hot streak on a team where virtually everyone looked good offensively.

I'm not a fan of this signing, felt like he was one of the biggest 'trap' players in UFA along with the obvious ones like Kadri. I hope they stick him on the first line where they can surround him with some very good players, which will give him the opportunity to succeed in a complementary role and give one of the other three guys the ability to create offense with another scoring line.
You have to file this under "take what you can get" category.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
All you Steve Spott haters are going to have to be nice to him. Marchment said he's a guy that attracted him to Dallas.
Yeah the extra $500k/year and no sales tax may have had a little more to do with it. :sarcasm:

I'm interested to see if this is it for the Stars, they have $13.3M left without trading anyone away, maybe enough to squeeze in a 6th or 7th D, but that's about it.

Edit: Man, I didn't realize he was Bryan Marchment's son. Hope getting this done helped a little, I bet he's had a really shit summer.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I wonder how much Nichushkin's impact on the Avs Cup run had to do with this signing, and if the Stars view Marchment as potentially a Nichushkin type player for them.

Reactions: Captain Awesome

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
His analytics are pretty ironclad. I'm not finding any good ways to dismiss the bonkers metrics he accomplished last year.

He's best on the Panthers in chance suppression rates, which explains why his SCF% and xGF% are so high. My assumption is that Reinhart was the one driving offense on that line but Marchment has all the better individual shooting/scoring/chance stats. Reinhart is clearly the playmaker on that line, with the better A1/60 rate and the more timid shot attempt numbers.

Having said all that, this contract is an overpayment. At $4.5M for a bottom 6 player I would expect someone who kills penalties, at a minimum. For someone who doesn't PK, I would expect a meaningful 2nd line scoring option. I'm sure he will PK for the Stars, but he did none of that last season in Florida. He's getting payed based on the assumption he'll be a good PKer, which maybe isn't such a bad assumption anyway.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
His analytics are pretty ironclad. I'm not finding any good ways to dismiss the bonkers metrics he accomplished last year.

He's best on the Panthers in chance suppression rates, which explains why his SCF% and xGF% are so high. My assumption is that Reinhart was the one driving offense on that line but Marchment has all the better individual shooting/scoring/chance stats. Reinhart is clearly the playmaker on that line, with the better A1/60 rate and the more timid shot attempt numbers.

Having said all that, this contract is an overpayment. At $4.5M for a bottom 6 player I would expect someone who kills penalties, at a minimum. I'm sure he will for the Stars, but he did none of that last season in Florida. He's getting payed based on the assumption he'll be a good PKer for the Stars, which maybe isn't such a bad assumption anyway.

They definitely didn't sign him to be a bottom 6 player

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
They definitely didn't sign him to be a bottom 6 player
Clearly, the AAV gives us information about the role they are planning to have him fill. I'm saying he wasn't filling a $4.5M type role in Florida, so it's a bit of a gamble.

Also there's a big difference between a bottom 6 player who doesn't PK and one who does. Like league minimum for the former and Faksa type salary for the latter.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

Having said all that, this contract is an overpayment. At $4.5M for a bottom 6 player I would expect someone who kills penalties, at a minimum. For someone who doesn't PK, I would expect a meaningful 2nd line scoring option. I'm sure he will PK for the Stars, but he did none of that last season in Florida. He's getting payed based on the assumption he'll be a good PKer, which maybe isn't such a bad assumption anyway.

I’m thinking Dallas views him more as a top 6 forward

This deal, like others said is a bit risky with his first big season last year. I personally like this signing. He’s big and good on the forecheck. He has decent hands to for a big guy

Will be interesting to see who he plays with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad