Islanders Point Blank: Martin still wants Isles to succeed.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Don Cherry made a comment about Marty cutting his hair (A Lou rule) which has taken away his identity -- and I kinda agree. On the Isles he (and that line) has an identity and some presence - on the Leafs, he looks like an expensive Colton Orr.

Honestly.. just let the growing pains happen. He will settle in with his role eventually and stable line mates will help.

And LOL at the stats guy on this board who said it was Matty who drove the line and not Casey. Dude was the third wheel and it shows with his lack of immediate success and Casey and Cals continuance.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Honestly.. just let the growing pains happen. He will settle in with his role eventually and stable line mates will help.

And LOL at the stats guy on this board who said it was Matty who drove the line and not Casey. Dude was the third wheel and it shows with his lack of immediate success and Casey and Cals continuance.

I love Martin but driving a line? I don't see it.

Cal and Casey have both become really good hockey players. In my eyes they are a second line, not a 4th line. Outside the top line, I trust them the most when they are out there.

I hate Kulemin's salary but if he was at 1.5MM he'd be amazing. So strong defensively, rarely outworked or out of position and although he possesses zero offense, he's very trustworthy. How he scored 30 as a Leaf is one of the world's biggest mysteries to this day.

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
Really wish we brought him back, I realize the leafs gave him a really big deal for his role on a team but i always looked at him as a heart and soul type of guy for our team. Was probably my favorite player on the team or top 3 atleast. Wish him nothing but success the rest of his career (unless hes playing us :) )

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Of course I do, I've seen Back to the Future.

aaaaaand now I will listen to huey at work. Didn't want to go there this morning, but it happens.

as for Martin...kid is a class act, always has been. Got himself paid, part of me feels like he regrets it (but wont regret that extra 2.5 mil over 4 years).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I love Martin but driving a line? I don't see it.

Cal and Casey have both become really good hockey players. In my eyes they are a second line, not a 4th line. Outside the top line, I trust them the most when they are out there.

I hate Kulemin's salary but if he was at 1.5MM he'd be amazing. So strong defensively, rarely outworked or out of position and although he possesses zero offense, he's very trustworthy. How he scored 30 as a Leaf is one of the world's biggest mysteries to this day.

Don't know the numbers for sure but it was something along the lines that Cal and Casey had a sub 50% Corsi hit when they had someone else on the left versus Martin who had a higher number or something.

But if you watch then, or see the difference now, you know. I don't make it a habit of hating numbers, and even then I still like the numbers as more info is better for me but also why I don't go a full one hundred.

But yes, I have stopped calling them the fourth line. They simply are not, too damn good.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Don't know the numbers for sure but it was something along the lines that Cal and Casey had a sub 50% Corsi hit when they had someone else on the left versus Martin who had a higher number or something.

But if you watch then, or see the difference now, you know. I don't make it a habit of hating numbers, and even then I still like the numbers as more info is better for me but also why I don't go a full one hundred.

But yes, I have stopped calling them the fourth line. They simply are not, too damn good.

If they replace Martin with Tavares on that wing then what would that do to Cal & Casey's numbers VERSUS if they replace Martin with Boulton?

And you'd need a lot of data to see a noticeable difference in CORSI.

I like the numbers I just really think they are so often mis-used on these boards.

Back to Marty, I hope he does well in Toronto. He's not playing much and hasn't found his spot. I'd like to see him with Matthews & Nylander to be honest - they have Zach Hyman there now and he's got zero offensive talent - believe it or not, Matt Martin would be an offensive upgrade!

Look at these numbers:
29 William Nylander C 9 4 7 11
34 Auston Matthews C 9 6 4 10
11 Zach Hyman F 9 0 1 1

shades of Cory Conacher with JT !

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
The Isles mess up with Martin was similar as with Frans. 2 Guys who they probably could have kept with market reasonable contracts if they offered them longer term and BEFORE last season started. Both of those guys bleed Blue and Orange and deserved it.

They could have got the AAV down on Martin if they negotiated long term and early. They also got smoked unnecessarily on the Casey deal.

Snow seems to have an issue with negotiating with players heading into UFA prices, like he gets married to the idea of certain internal players at certain price points. But if you are trying to build a certain culture, you need the continuity. Players under controlled contracts are usually underpaid and then later on you have to over pay. It's not rocket science...

Or you can throw money at outside shiny toys and regret it when they sign or get lucky when they say no... like Vanek, Boyle, Grabovski, Kulemin, Ladd.

I think JT would have been a lifer here if not for gross mismanagement. Now I think he leaves. I would if I were him.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Great dude, said the right things, but he was the third best forward of that line and easily replaceable.

Not sure if I would even bring him back after he's done with the Leafs, as he'll be 31 with a lot of wear on the tires.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Isles mess up with Martin was similar as with Frans. 2 Guys who they probably could have kept with market reasonable contracts if they offered them longer term and BEFORE last season started. Both of those guys bleed Blue and Orange and deserved it.

They could have got the AAV down on Martin if they negotiated long term and early. They also got smoked unnecessarily on the Casey deal.

Snow seems to have an issue with negotiating with players heading into UFA prices, like he gets married to the idea of certain internal players at certain price points. But if you are trying to build a certain culture, you need the continuity. Players under controlled contracts are usually underpaid and then later on you have to over pay. It's not rocket science...

Or you can throw money at outside shiny toys and regret it when they sign or get lucky when they say no... like Vanek, Boyle, Grabovski, Kulemin, Ladd.

I think JT would have been a lifer here if not for gross mismanagement. Now I think he leaves. I would if I were him.

Martin isn't worth the money and you don't need 10 years of the same guy. Martin was here long enough and priced himself off the team. Overpaying for Martin is a mistake. All of the players you just listed are better than Martin, so what's the point?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
If they replace Martin with Tavares on that wing then what would that do to Cal & Casey's numbers VERSUS if they replace Martin with Boulton?

I like the numbers I just really think they are so often mis-used on these boards.

Back to Marty, I hope he does well in Toronto. He's not playing much and hasn't found his spot. I'd like to see him with Matthews & Nylander to be honest - they have Zach Hyman there now and he's got zero offensive talent - believe it or not, Matt Martin would be an offensive upgrade!

Look at these numbers:
29 William Nylander C 9 4 7 11
34 Auston Matthews C 9 6 4 10
11 Zach Hyman F 9 0 1 1

shades of Cory Conacher with JT !

Over the last two seasons where they were a line, Cizikas only played about 275 of his almost 1600 5 on 5 minutes without Martin, and more than half of that was with either Boulton or Colin McDonald. So I'd have to agree you that the drop in CF% that we see here isn't terribly meaningful, other than to suggest that Martin is a better linemate than Boulton or McDonald (which I assume no one would argue against, regardless of the stats).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Agreed.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
marts and his energy was contagious ... our team could def use him ... wish we could have signed him

Great team guy but he couldn't keep up with the CCs. He held that line back. Kulemin is a much better option with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad