Islanders Point Blank: Martin still wants Isles to succeed.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/martin-still-wants-islanders-to-succeed/207600974

Say what you want but Matty Marts will always be an islander at heart. He was a good soldier for us. Very classy by him.

"If the Leafs can't win the Stanley Cup, then I want the Islanders to win it. Heck, if we're out, I'd probably be in the stands at Barclays in a Casey Cizikas jersey. I made Long Island my home."

It's extremely classy and probably true. I've always liked Martin as a person and wouldn't mind him coming back to the organization when his playing days are done.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
He is a great person and I hope he's successful everywhere he goes. I'd love to bring him back one day.
Its hard enough to get players to love playing for this team and actually wanting to stay here, so we should have signed him, using some of the money we threw around elsewhere. Great guy on and off the ice, who deserved to be paid more than what some of our guys are getting. He was to a lesser extent a Bobby Nystrom type player who wore the Islanders jersey with pride and you really can't put a price on that, but good luck to him in TO :cheers:

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
love matt martin, and was kinda surprised we didn't bring him back. he deserved to get paid tho.

chimera might be a little better overall, but he doesn't bring the same locker room dynamic MM did

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I want the Isles to bring him back now. We miss his energy. Chemistry is off with this team. Ladd and Chimera just aren't clicking here. I now it's early, but I just don't see it happening.

Listen I think it was a good try by Snow, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I found it interesting that he refused to say why he left the Isles.
got really uncomfortable with Stan's question about money and he wanted to say more, but didn't.

I want the Isles to bring him back now. We miss his energy. Chemistry is off with this team. Ladd and Chimera just aren't clicking here. I now it's early, but I just don't see it happening.

I don't think there's room for Martin at that price, unfortunately. He's been terrible with the Leafs so far, he's invisible, not hitting, hardly playing. Babcock says he's happy with Marty's leadership and how his presence protects the young players but I don't see it.

Don Cherry made a comment about Marty cutting his hair (A Lou rule) which has taken away his identity -- and I kinda agree. On the Isles he (and that line) has an identity and some presence - on the Leafs, he looks like an expensive Colton Orr.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I found it interesting that he refused to say why he left the Isles.

Probably about $750,000. The isles top offer was probably something like 1.75 per and Toronto offered 2.5. Over the life of the contract, that's an additional 2.5 million. That's a lot of money to leave on the table.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Probably about $750,000. The isles top offer was probably something like 1.75 per and Toronto offered 2.5. Over the life of the contract, that's an additional 2.5 million. That's a lot of money to leave on the table.

no doubt.

but say something like "I did what was best for me and my family long term" - --

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I won't be surprised if we have him back here by season's end. I'm not saying it will happen, but if we're in a playoff position, I could see Toronto moving him for assets.

Am I wrong about this? It's almost a certainty that I am, but I wouldn't be surprised.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I won't be surprised if we have him back here by season's end. I'm not saying it will happen, but if we're in a playoff position, I could see Toronto moving him for assets.

Am I wrong about this? It's almost a certainty that I am, but I wouldn't be surprised.

That doesn't make sense. Why in the world would we trade anything for him?

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
got really uncomfortable with Stan's question about money and he wanted to say more, but didn't.

I don't think there's room for Martin at that price, unfortunately. He's been terrible with the Leafs so far, he's invisible, not hitting, hardly playing. Babcock says he's happy with Marty's leadership and how his presence protects the young players but I don't see it.

Don Cherry made a comment about Marty cutting his hair (A Lou rule) which has taken away his identity -- and I kinda agree. On the Isles he (and that line) has an identity and some presence - on the Leafs, he looks like an expensive Colton Orr.

He's tied for 1st in the league in hits.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. If the islanders are making a trade at the deadline for a playoff push, it won't be for Matt Martin. If Garth snow trades anything for Matt Martin, he should be fired immediately!!!

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
no doubt.

but say something like "I did what was best for me and my family long term" - --

You're right, he could've given the generic "what's best for me and my family" line. It's kinda weird to say nothing at all.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Great guy and I'll always like MM but have seen nothing this year to indicate that Snow made a mistake in not paying him and giving a 4 year deal. This team has enough issues and doesn't need another expensive bottom 6 forward taking up cap room.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Nielsen getting away was really the only "mistake" out of the three IMO, even though nobody saw that coming at all. KO is debatable. Martin was definitely the right move, I love him but it was too much and Casey and Cal are still playing very well without him.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

Not a good try IMO. It was too predictable that this would happen by gutting the team chemistry and leadership. If they wanted experience and a new culture... try the coach first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad