Rumor: Marner expected to get 12.5$ million offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would much rather pursue Kapanen who would be significantly cheaper to acquire and pay.

The most fun option would be if someone OS's Marner, Toronto matches, Isles OS Kapanen. :)

Kapanen would only cost a 2nd rd pick. 4-4.5 range x 5 years. Leafs match Marner's OS, they would be in no position to match a Kapanen OS. Lou can get Kapanen for a mere 2nd rd pick. Nicely thought out PW!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
OS Kapanen is a waste of an OS, IMO. Sure, the comp is reasonable, but why make an enemy over....Kapanen? No offense to him - he's a solid player, but hardly the game-breaker that we're in need of.

If we're gonna OS someone, just go all in on one of the big boys.
The Flyers made an OS to Ryan Kesler back when he was a 23 point player and the compensation was a 2nd rounder. The Canucks matched....and that turned out great for them.

And on the flipside, if the Canucks had of let him go and Kesler went on to the career he had, it would have been seen as a brilliant move.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Well, we didn't win so like 30 other teams, we won't have one this year. Why does your team have a loser parade?

My team won 3 Stanley cups went to 5 western conference finals and dominated the league from 2008 through 2016 . That's more than any leafs fan or team has accomplished.

Chicago was never expected to win the cup last year , however the leafs where considered strong cup contenders.

Not to mention the leafs blew their best chance to win a cup while their team had all that talent still on entry level contracts.

Anyone who is being honest about the Future of the leafs will tell you , they overpaid and did a horrible job managing salaries and contracts.

Signing Tavares didn't win you a cup and it just blew a hole through your salary cap for all these RFA who need to be resigned.

Not to mention over paying Nylander who sat out and when he came back was a bust for the money he signed for.

GOOD LUCK GUYS LOL

Reactions: KingKrug47

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Flyers made an OS to Ryan Kesler back when he was a 23 point player and the compensation was a 2nd rounder. The Canucks matched....and that turned out great for them.

And on the flipside, if the Canucks had of let him go and Kesler went on to the career he had, it would have been seen as a brilliant move.
A 2nd round comp is nothing...easy match, 4 1sts? That might look bad either way...if the Leafs decline and Marner continues to be a great player? Looks bad on them. But if he regresses...even by 10-15 points...is he worth 12.5 and 4 1sts? What if said team has a injury riddled season and one of those 1sts is a lottery pick?

Risks are there both ways.

Reactions: TheNewKid

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think that GMs have actively not offersheeted players becuase they didn't want to drive the price of players- which is pretty much indisputable at this time

for sure (i said that)

And yes I believe another reason for not offer sheeting was they didnt want to piss off their buddies.

lol sure these hyper competitive people are **** scared of pissing off their buddies. y'all are weird.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This was my thought as well. If MM would sign a 4 year deal at $10.5M the team would just give up 2x1st, 2nd, 3rd round DP's. At that level, I assume the Leafs would match, and then figure out what has to happen on the other end.

The big thing is - would MM sign a $10.5M contract? And if he signed a 4 year deal, that gets him his UFA as soon as possible, so he might go down that road instead of having to give up prime UFA years by signing a longer term deal.

I don't think a team would sign him to a 4 x 10.5m, because it's too easy to match. And you wouldn't do an offer sheet if you thought there was a good chance it would be matched. I think it will be more than $10.5m per, that or no offer sheet at all. I'm not persuaded that the taboo about it has changed.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Players contracts are signed to be grown into. He's expecting to get paid like the best not for his performance to date, but for the performance he's likely to give, and everyone is expecting to come from him during his next contract. Especially one 7-8 years in length.

Players should be measured by 1 result winning a Stanley cup, anything else a player does is just numbers.

The goal of a team is to draft and develop and those young Players you want them to directly help impact your team in its 1 goal winning a cup.

Remember it's the era of a salary cap that is designed to create parity.

With the leafs already near the ceiling of the cap and they have quite a few players that are talent it's clear that they will need to trade away quite few players and won't be able to afford to resign all their free agents.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
My team won 3 Stanley cups went to 5 western conference finals and dominated the league from 2008 through 2016 . That's more than any leafs fan or team has accomplished.

Chicago was never expected to win the cup last year , however the leafs where considered strong cup contenders.

Not to mention the leafs blew their best chance to win a cup while their team had all that talent still on entry level contracts.

Anyone who is being honest about the Future of the leafs will tell you , they overpaid and did a horrible job managing salaries and contracts.

Signing Tavares didn't win you a cup and it just blew a hole through your salary cap for all these RFA who need to be resigned.

Not to mention over paying Nylander who sat out and when he came back was a bust for the money he signed for.

GOOD LUCK GUYS LOL
Hey....Thanks man!:thumbu:

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Yeah, there's 6 guys who put up 100 and 10 who put up over 95. 100 points isn't a top-5 forward anymore, especially if it's a playmaking winger.

He’s 22 years old. Do you think he has reached his peak. When he is the same age as Kucherov and in his prime he certainly will be a top 5 forward getting 125 points a year just like Kucherov is doing. When Kucherov finished his ELC his highest point total was 66 points. Marner just has 94=at 22 ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad