Marlies GDT: Marlies vs Griffins - WCQF - Marlies lost 3 game to 2. It's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
a bad start.

Brown, Leipsic, Nylander = 2 goals in 5 games.
Pulkkinen, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi = 12 goals in 5 games

Pulkkinen 6 goals in 5 games
Athanasiou 4 goals in 5 games
Bertuzzi 2 goals in 3 games.

Marlies skilled players that lacked size were kept to the perimeter for the most part while Griffins players with size had bigger impact on the outcome while playing in traffic.

Size matters even at the AHL level as I thought Connor Brown was fairly ineffective in the series while Bertuzzi jumped right from the OHL playoffs to AHL playoffs and was a bigger factor instantly helping his team advance.

mikebel111*

Still a good series. Got beaten by veterans for most part
They all got their 1st pro playoff experience. Not like Pulkkinen is special and hasnt cracked the NHL at 23.
We have a nice future in here. I will take our youngsters over Detroit youngsters

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
It's a learning process. The Griffins are a damn good team, and the Marlies gave it their all.

Our offence wasn't great, but we know they're talented. Hopefully this lights a fire in their bellies for next year!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Marlies skilled players that lacked size were kept to the perimeter for the most part while Griffins players with size had bigger impact on the outcome while playing in traffic.

Size matters even at the AHL level as I thought Connor Brown was fairly ineffective in the series while Bertuzzi jumped right from the OHL playoffs to AHL playoffs and was a bigger factor instantly helping his team advance.
Agreed, Teemu Pulkkinen's size was a huge advantage for him. :facepalm:

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Lol this size guys are just noobs to the new era of hockey. They should just stop watching this game anymore. All the key guys who jumped from griffins to wings are small and skilled. Talk about size noobs.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
So any time a Toronto team loses, It's a collapse?

alright...

Marlies up 2-0, lose the next 3. That's a collapse.
Leafs come back to force game 7 against the Bruins, are up by 3 goals, then lose in OT. That's a collapse.
Leafs are sitting in the top 3 of the atlantic division, lose I don't even remember how many straight, finish 4th last. That's a collapse.
Toronto Raptors are expected to at least get to round 2, get swept in the first round. That's a collapse.
Toronto FC is in the playoffs through the first half of the season, lose the rest of the games and miss the playoffs. That's a collapse.

I'm not sure how many more examples it'll take to illustrate my point, so to answer your cheeky question, no every time a Toronto team loses is not a collapse. It is just the circumstances the loss comes in that makes it considered a collapse.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The home team won every game in the series, that's not exactly a collapse.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

You dont think that perhaps it has just a teeny little bit to do with the fact that the 3 Toronto players are all Rookies and yet were called upon to lead the team??????

or the fact that one team is older, and better overall, and the other barely made the playoffs?

btw, Bertuzzi has as many points as Nylander, and i doubt Berty will have as much of an impact in the NHL as Nylander.

Size has less to do with it, as the better team won. ...not to mention Gibson actually sucks!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You dont think that perhaps it has just a teeny little bit to do with the fact that the 3 Toronto players are all Rookies and yet were called upon to lead the team??????

or the fact that one team is older, and better overall, and the other barely made the playoffs?

btw, Bertuzzi has as many points as Nylander, and i doubt Berty will have as much of an impact in the NHL as Nylander.

Size has less to do with it, as the better team won. ...not to mention Gibson actually sucks!

Agreed it was a good learning experience for some of the younger Marlies.

Their season ending drive for the playoffs is something they can look back on with pride this year as a nice accomplishment.

If you watched the series you could see the Griffins kept the Marlie skilled players fairly well contained and kept them on the perimeter. Smaller players simply don't have the size nor strength to battle down low and in the heavy traffic areas to score enough greasy or dirty goals to win. IMO

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Take it for what it's worth, but from NHL.com:

Connor Brown 5'11 160lbs

Tyler Bertuzzi 6'0 178lbs

Not a big size difference there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Agreed it was a good learning experience for some of the younger Marlies.

Their season ending drive for the playoffs is something they can look back on with pride this year as a nice accomplishment.

If you watched the series you could see the Griffins kept the Marlie skilled players fairly well contained and kept them on the perimeter. Smaller players simply don't have the size nor strength to battle down low and in the heavy traffic areas to score enough greasy or dirty goals to win. IMO

Uh size or strength was not an issue at all in this series.

They had some scoring issues in the last 3 games and had shakey goaltending from Gibson in game 3 and 4.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Uh size or strength was not an issue at all in this series.

They had some scoring issues in the last 3 games and had shakey goaltending from Gibson in game 3 and 4.

Bibeau a big factor in game 5 to flattery the final score for the Marlies and Gibson was good in games #1 and 2 to get the Marlies off to a good start.

If one evaluated unbiasedly Marlies leading scorer Connor Brown you wouldn't say he was very effective. Nylander was scoreless in the 5 games and Leipsic also not a big factor either and those are Leafs top 3 forward prospects. The experience the biggest take away from this years playoffs for the youngsters.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bibeau a big factor in game 5 to flattery the final score for the Marlies and Gibson was good in games #1 and 2 to get the Marlies off to a good start.

If one evaluated unbiasedly Marlies leading scorer Connor Brown you wouldn't say he was very effective. Nylander was scoreless in the 5 games and Leipsic also not a big factor either and those are Leafs top 3 forward prospects. The experience the biggest take away from this years playoffs for the youngsters.

Simply because those rookies have a bit of a slump in the playoffs, it wasn't because their size limited their scoring opportunities or overall effectiveness. I thought Brown and Nylander were very good despite not scoring or putting up a lot of points. The whole top line was shut down effectively as the series went along, whereas the Marlies couldn't shutdown Pulkkinen.

The main reason they were able to even get into the playoffs was because of the rookies. They ran out of juice but I fail to see why it would be any different if they were a little bigger or taller. It makes no difference.

Leivo had one good game but then was pretty invisible the rest of the way and he's definitely not small. Bodie is a huge player and he was also pretty useless.

Overall, I think Marlies put up a good fight but showed a lot good signs of development throughout the lineup. Inexperience and a bad special teams along with some bad games here and there from certain key players wasn't good enough to win 3.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Simply because those rookies have a bit of a slump in the playoffs, it wasn't because their size limited their scoring opportunities or overall effectiveness. I thought Brown and Nylander were very good despite not scoring or putting up a lot of points. The whole top line was shut down effectively as the series went along.

The main reason they were able to even get into the playoffs was because of the rookies. They ran out of juice but I fail to see why it would be any different if they were a little bigger or taller. It makes no difference.

Leivo had one good game but then was pretty invisible the rest of the way and he's definitely not small. Bodie is a huge player and he was also pretty useless.

Overall, I think Marlies put up a good fight but showed a lot good signs of development throughout the lineup. Inexperience and a bad special teams along with some bad games here and there from certain key players wasn't good enough to win 3.

Marlies leading scorer Brown mustered just 5 shots on goal in 5 games and Nylander recorded just 10 and they combined for 1 goal and 7 points in the series.

Teemu Pulkkinen recorded 24 shots himself in the series and scored 6 goals. He doesn't have much of a height advantage but is much stronger already now and was a huge factor in the series.

I thought Tyer Bertuzzi airlifted in from the OHL was very effective as a rookie in the games he played and outplayed our Marlies kids in the series.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
Marlies leading scorer Brown mustered just 5 shots on goal in 5 games and Nylander recorded just 10 and they combined for 1 goal and 7 points in the series.

Teemu Pulkkinen recorded 24 shots himself in the series and scored 6 goals. He doesn't have much of a height advantage but is much stronger already now and was a huge factor in the series.

I thought Tyer Bertuzzi airlifted in from the OHL was very effective as a rookie in the games he played and outplayed our Marlies kids in the series.

It's easier to play well in the playoffs as a rookie behind veterans than it is to be the leader on your team as a rookie. First AHL playoffs for both Brown and Nylander as the two biggest threats for the marlies. Pulkkinen is 23 years old so him being stronger and more noticeable in the playoffs than Brown and Nylander is expected.

mikebel111*

I knew size fanatics would be out in full force. We lost because some shaky goaltending not because those so called giants.
Sorry but size is so secondary its not even funny. I will easily take our forward prospects over Red wings ones

It was a nice season and our youngsters leading the charge shows size isnt a big factor
Lol at we lose because of size

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I knew size fanatics would be out in full force. We lost because some shaky goaltending not because those so called giants.
Sorry but size is so secondary its not even funny. I will easily take our forward prospects over Red wings ones

It was a nice season and our youngsters leading the charge shows size isnt a big factor
Lol at we lose because of size

easily better? I dunno about that

Larkin, Pulkinenen, Mantha are about equal to Nylander, Brown, Leipsic or whoever you feel are the leafs top 3. Tyler Bertuzzi is a beauty though, I can see him rising through the ranks (HF has him at 12th) - Nosek also impressed. Detroit just has a larger pool where as Toronto has a few nice pieces.

Detroit had many guys up or graduated this year too.

Marlies were outclassed this round and I feel out-coached - They got lucky pulling those 2 wins early on, it wasn't sustainable.

I think we should be happy they were able to make the playoffs to begin with, it was looking grim before nylander and leipsic were added. Hoping Bibeau takes the next step and takes the starting role next year.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga

That's where the problem is. You're not unbiased, you are against any player who is under 6'0 and throw general statements (soft, weak, perimeter players) hoping something sticks (you've missed almost every time)

Considering you're pointing at player's shot stats, height and weight I seriously doubt you watched any Marlies games.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012

Pulkkinen scored a hat trick last night in Game 1 of their 2nd round matchup.

Gives him 9 goals in 6 games.

The kid can certainly find the back of the net at the AHL level, that's for sure.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pulkkinen scored a hat trick last night in Game 1 of their 2nd round matchup.

Gives him 9 goals in 6 games.

The kid can certainly find the back of the net at the AHL level, that's for sure.

Apparently he is the player Nonis turned down at the trade deadline in the potential Phaneuf trade holding out for a higher valued prospect.

But if the Marlies had Pulkkinen in the series the results would likely be the Marlies moving on.

He might be that next Nyqvist, Tatar type player for the Wings to come through their development system.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

Just when we were getting excited about the Marlies (youngest team in the AHL) and their incredible run to make the play-offs along comes Mess with his usual anti-Leaf diatribe.

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Apparently he is the player Nonis turned down at the trade deadline in the potential Phaneuf trade holding out for a higher valued prospect.

But if the Marlies had Pulkkinen in the series the results would likely be the Marlies moving on.

He might be that next Nyqvist, Tatar type player for the Wings to come through their development system.

Boosting the Marlies playoff run seems like an odd motivation to consider when trading one of your core players.

I'm quite fine with him holding out for a better prospect. Especially considering a very similar prospect is already in the pipeline in Andreas Johnson.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I'd rather they make the Leafs a better Team than the Marlies as would any Leaf fan.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
I'd rather they make the Leafs a better Team than the Marlies as would any Leaf fan.

I don't understand your argument... Pulkkinen could have helped both the Marlies and the Leafs immediately.

Had they taken Pulkkinen in the trade, he would have been NHL bound next season regardless as he is not waiver-exempt next season. He could have been used in the NHL or the AHL this season and would have surely been up with the Leafs next season.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't understand your argument... Pulkkinen could have helped both the Marlies and the Leafs immediately.

Had they taken Pulkkinen in the trade, he would have been NHL bound next season regardless as he is not waiver-exempt next season. He could have been used in the NHL or the AHL this season and would have surely been up with the Leafs next season.

Re-read Mess's comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad