Marlies GDT: Marlies vs Griffins - WCQF - Marlies lost 3 game to 2. It's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number13

May 21, 2007
He's been coming along well after having major question marks about his game earlier in his career. I think he'll be a nice NHLer sooner rather than later, still hesitant on upside though.

As a main piece? I dunno.

He's an NHL talent, but I think I'd prefer to go for Bertuzzi, he impressed me.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

wings will be reluctant to trade Bertuzzi, They wont trade him for Phanuef unless Phanuef brings someone else with him, Especially with how he was in Juniors, and good this series in the playoff run.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Dissappointed but not shocked. Grand Rapids have a good team and the Marlies had a pretty good run.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013

I watched him in Guelph a ton, he was a bottom 6 guy 2 years ago, than became 1st line this year. I love him but I was honestly suprised how much of an immediate impact he had and how much his physical/pest game immediately translated to AHL.

I dont think Detroit is sleeping on him but he is definitely someone I would target were I any GM.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Good thing, more time to send Nylander, Brown and Leipsic to the weight room

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan's face when Andreas Athanasiou scored the goal that put the Griffins ahead and sent the Toronto Marlies home.

https://instagram.com/p/2PSDUIIg1b/

11226858_942559502461349_1575151602_n.jpg

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
They battled to the end of each game, but youth showed in the end. Glad to see that they're learning from when it matters.

A majority of the team will be back next year.

Good year for some players on personal stand points.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
That is what happens with smaller players that play on the perimeter as bigger players go hard to the net and create space playing in traffic.

Marlies have smaller skilled players.

Maybe Dubas will trade some skill for size next year. ;)

That doesn't help your argument that you keep proposing for Strome > Marner in the Rebuilding thread. It doesn't solely rest on the skillful guys who are "undersized" (and Nylander isn't small; he's 6'0 practically 6'1 and 189). The entire team lacks size compared to a MUCH larger team in Grand Rapids. Their smaller guys were supported by the size guys. And no, there will be no trades for size next year, because that sarcastic comment is just stupid.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
lot of positives here. not too disappointed. the late run and the play of some of our future leafs was very promising and good news for the future.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think Nylander and Frattin are the only two Marlies who are NHL ready. That's just based off watching this series.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I think Nylander and Frattin are the only two Marlies who are NHL ready. That's just based off watching this series.

After watching some of the games - I'll be OK with Nylander starting next year in the AHL. As per the Dubas article where he says they only bring guys up "when they are ready to contribute" - when the game got tight in the playoffs, Willie looked to struggle a little more with the 1-1 puck battles, board battles, etc.

Give him a summer of adding some strength, then let him continue to dominate in the A for at least for the first half of next year, then bring him up (if he's ready) when we move bodies at the trade deadline.

That's my vote! It's not at all a knock against him - I think he's going to be great ... I just want him truly ready when we throw him into the spotlight.

The moment he steps on the ACC ice as part of the big club, the fans will be expecting him to be the saviour. :shakehead The kid JUST turned 19 (I beleive), he has room to grow.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Frattin will be turning 28 for next season and only a few months younger than Kessel is.

He was drafted 8 years ago by the Leafs already played for 3 NHL teams so you would have to think its now or never for Frattin and he is developed by now. ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Im fully aware Brown is a rookie and we shouldnt expect much from him, but after the year he's had, I cant help feeling disappointed in the post season. He was a nonfactor out there.

Leafs top prospects finished with;

Brown 1 goal 3 assists 4 points
Leipsic 1 goal 2 assists 3 points
Nylander 0 goals 3 assists 3 points

Combined 2 goals 8 assists and 10 points in the 5 game series.

It was their first pro playoffs so its a start.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Disappointed that they dropped 3 straight because I was considering attending a second game in they advanced but I watched Game 2 and it was a ballsy game where everyone seemed to show up. It does inspire hope for the future.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
They battled to the end of each game, but youth showed in the end. Glad to see that they're learning from when it matters.

A majority of the team will be back next year.

Good year for some players on personal stand points.

I agree, we have one of the youngest teams in the AHL and they did a great job.

Some more prospects in the system will be added next year and it's a learning experience and others will maybe make the Leafs, no complaints, that's the way the system works.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Really think they should leave Brown, Nylander, Leipsic all down in the "A" for another season - one in which they can dominate in a most certainly more positive environment than the Leafs and learn to be better pros.

Frattin has earned a spot on the big club as much as Trevor Smith ever did...Brennan had a bad game 5, but I could see him with the big club as well.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
outcoached

I'd argue that the marlies goaltending was just average as well. Goaltending is essential to a long playoff run.... Going into the postseason I was thinking that this was where management had failed the marlies. Both Gibson and bibeau had been just ok throughout the year. I think they shouldve shored up the goaltending before the post, not sure with whom though. Reimer/scrivens were essential to previous runs.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Leafs top prospects finished with;

Brown 1 goal 3 assists 4 points
Leipsic 1 goal 2 assists 3 points
Nylander 0 goals 3 assists 3 points

Combined 2 goals 8 assists and 10 points in the 5 game series.

It was their first pro playoffs so its a start.

a bad start.

Brown, Leipsic, Nylander = 2 goals in 5 games.
Pulkkinen, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi = 12 goals in 5 games

Pulkkinen 6 goals in 5 games
Athanasiou 4 goals in 5 games
Bertuzzi 2 goals in 3 games.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'd argue that the marlies goaltending was just average as well. Goaltending is essential to a long playoff run.... Going into the postseason I was thinking that this was where management had failed the marlies. Both Gibson and bibeau had been just ok throughout the year. I think they shouldve shored up the goaltending before the post, not sure with whom though. Reimer/scrivens were essential to previous runs.
I think that's still more coaching. Bibeau came through in game 7. If the coach had been sharper and switched earlier then the series might have had time to turn around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad