Marlies GDT: Marlies vs Crunch-ECSF- Game 7 - May 17 LEAFS TV

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
hows nielsen and dermott's skating and defensive game look?

cant look too much into plus minus but nielsen's -13 in the playoffs is horrible

Nielson is a couple years away, he is weak defensively. I have seen get undressed quite a bit this season. He has an NHL-ready shot

Last edited:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Well we lost to a really good team. Too bad! I was hoping for at least one more round. I didn't get to watch many of the games this series.
Next year boys!

Yup, they have a deep roster and The Marlies are a patchwork on defence but I don't mind saying I hope Dotchin gets a taste of the crap he's been dishing out sometime soon. I will applaud loudly.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yup, they have a deep roster and The Marlies are a patchwork on defence but I don't mind saying I hope Dotchin gets a taste of the crap he's been dishing out sometime soon. I will applaud loudly.

Ya agreed. Even this game kapanen took him out against the boards and yet he still managed to hit kk in the face with his stick!

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
We badly need some defensive help. Other than Dermott there is no defensive help. Nielson has NHL shot but that's about it.

Our goalie depth is the same. I hope Woll can turn out to be a decent keeper

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
We badly need some defensive help. Other than Dermott there is no defensive help. Nielson has NHL shot but that's about it.

Our goalie depth is the same. I hope Woll can turn out to be a decent keeper

Woll looks good, but we need ourselves at least one or two more picks invested in the position. Too many good young goalies is a "good problem".

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I agree with Ernie that picking a goalie or two in the draft is advisable. A free agent Euro or college signee would be another good move, IMO. The development of Goalies is hard to predict and the best response would be to increase the number of prospects in the pipeline

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
been saying it for a long time.

once you get past Andersen we have NOTHING behind him, not a thing

Andersen is great but there is no backup

there is nothing on the farm

there is nothing in junior

There is a reason I want Mcbackup replaced, there is also a reason I wanted Carter Hart or Tyler Parsons

tonight you saw why if Andersen goes down this team is screwed because there is NOTHING in the pipeline at any level.

Huh? Sparks is a very good AHL goalie by any standard (.922SV% this year) and Kaskisuo did a solid job filling in for him.

As valid as your point may be about lack of goaltending depth, it was far down the list as to why the Marlies lost this game and series.

Quality defenseman and centermen are glaring needs at the lower ranks.

This is the right observation to take out of it, IMO.

Our best center prospect is either Frederick Gauthier or Adam Brooks and the latter may yet switch to wing. Beyond that? Pierre Engvall, maybe? We're that bare. It's not as bad as it could be because obviously the tandem of Matthews+Nylander+Kadri+Bozak has us sitting pretty at the NHL level but it does leave the Marlies wanting. Management needs to get some AHL veterans signed as a stop-gap measure and then find a way to get some young centers in the system. A team built around wingers is going to find it difficult to have success, as the Leafs found out under Burke.

Similarly, we really have one legit defense prospect in Dermott. Nielsen may be something one day, Valiev's taken a step back, and the rest of the roster is AHL filler. The Marlies took a page from the Leafs today and blew a 3-1 lead and then gave up the GWG 8 seconds into the 3rd. If they end up with the Marlies next year, the additions of Rosén and Borgman would be a big boost but either way, we desperately need to snag at least one or two quality D prospects in this upcoming draft.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Huh? Sparks is a very good AHL goalie by any standard (.922SV% this year) and Kaskisuo did a solid job filling in for him.

As valid as your point may be about lack of goaltending depth, it was far down the list as to why the Marlies lost this game and series.

This is the right observation to take out of it, IMO.

Our best center prospect is either Frederick Gauthier or Adam Brooks and the latter may yet switch to wing. Beyond that? Pierre Engvall, maybe? We're that bare. It's not as bad as it could be because obviously the tandem of Matthews+Nylander+Kadri+Bozak has us sitting pretty at the NHL level but it does leave the Marlies wanting. Management needs to get some AHL veterans signed as a stop-gap measure and then find a way to get some young centers in the system. A team built around wingers is going to find it difficult to have success, as the Leafs found out under Burke.

Similarly, we really have one legit defense prospect in Dermott. Nielsen may be something one day, Valiev's taken a step back, and the rest of the roster is AHL filler. The Marlies took a page from the Leafs today and blew a 3-1 lead and then gave up the GWG 8 seconds into the 3rd. If they end up with the Marlies next year, the additions of Rosén and Borgman would be a big boost but either way, we desperately need to snag at least one or two quality D prospects in this upcoming draft.

Sparks numbers are good but how much stock can be put into those numbers when he only played 31 games?

I don't think the body of work is enough to say Sparks is the guy and considering he was drafted nearly 6 years ago that is a problem

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Quality defenseman and centermen are glaring needs at the lower ranks.

Something that badly needs to be addressed in upcoming entry drafts, with less small skilled wingers taken, and more D and C and G taken to stockpile the prospect pool.

The Marlies lack both quality dmen and centres in the pipeline as not much help is coming from the junior ranks for next year based on past drafts.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Kid is tough on himself wow. He played better than anyone else on defence. Shows his commitment level to excellence.

He shouldn't be hard on himself but hopefully this gives him drive and his offseason is an aggressive one.

Good season Marlies!

Good on him to accountability for his own play. Although, he played better than other D but it's nice to see he has higher self expectations.

I hope he works on his skating and strength more.

He had a good first pro season

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Does Holl look like a guy that be called up at all next season. I know that there's a log jam on the bottom right side but could he be a better fit than MM or AM?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Does Holl look like a guy that be called up at all next season. I know that there's a log jam on the bottom right side but could he be a better fit than MM or AM?

He could be a call up for sure. Dermott is ahead of him imo right now but holl took a step this year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I would love for him to get a chance. I think he deserves it. He's been pretty good for the Marlies.

He needs a big summer though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad