Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Liljegren with his second GWG of the year on a nice snap shot from the slot.

He’s been the Marlies’ best D on the season so far. Got to think he’s on pace for a nomination to the AHL all-star game if he can keep up his current level of play, like Rosen last year.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Liljegren with his second GWG of the year on a nice snap shot from the slot.

He’s been the Marlies’ best D on the season so far. Got to think he’s on pace for a nomination to the AHL all-star game if he can keep up his current level of play, like Rosen last year.
It could happen. He almost had another knee on knee collision.
Sandin has also been really good after a slow start when he was sent down.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You have to at least check the facts.

On one hand, SDA has scored 6 points in 7 games, but 4 of them came in one game. So that's 2 points in the 6 other games, which is not great for him.

On the other hand, Robertson is really their only other super talented offensive player and very much like Bracco and Marner, he does need someone to finish off the plays he starts. Doesn't make him a poor player, but the guy is not a shooter and likely never will be a shooter. If he's not having a guy capable of scoring, he can set up the most beautiful plays and get nothing out of it on the scoresheet.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
It could happen. He almost had another knee on knee collision.
Sandin has also been really good after a slow start when he was sent down.

Yeah they have both been good this year. Sandin is starting to clean things up in his own end more consistently too, but I think he’s missed too many games already to get serious consideration, between joining the team late at the start and with his latest injury. I think he’s likely departing for the WJC as well in a couple weeks.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah they have both been good this year. Sandin is starting to clean things up in his own end more consistently too, but I think he’s missed too many games already to get serious consideration, between joining the team late at the start and with his latest injury. I think he’s likely departing for the WJC as well in a couple weeks.
Agreed. I do think he needs more time. If Lilly keeps playing like this, Keefe might want him in the NHL.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
On one hand, SDA has scored 6 points in 7 games, but 4 of them came in one game. So that's 2 points in the 6 other games, which is not great for him.

On the other hand, Robertson is really their only other super talented offensive player and very much like Bracco and Marner, he does need someone to finish off the plays he starts. Doesn't make him a poor player, but the guy is not a shooter and likely never will be a shooter. If he's not having a guy capable of scoring, he can set up the most beautiful plays and get nothing out of it on the scoresheet.
Sure all said and done, he hasn't performed poorly.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

As long as he can focus on not being a liability on D, not having someone to pass to should never be a problem in this system.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Agreed. I do think he needs more time. If Lilly keeps playing like this, Keefe might want him in the NHL.

Liljegren needs to be playing 20 mins a night. We need to keep as many ELC years as possible because it’s gonna get messy given the cap situation Dubas has put us in. Plus Holl has be more than passable as a third pairing RHD IMO.

I think we likely have 3-4 Marlies on our team full time next year. If that happens that’s great but that’s a lot of players attempting to play in the NHL full time in a roster that is supposed to be competing for a SC.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Liljegren needs to be playing 20 mins a night. We need to keep as many ELC years as possible because it’s gonna get messy given the cap situation Dubas has put us in. Plus Holl has be more than passable as a third pairing RHD IMO.

I think we likely have 3-4 Marlies on our team full time next year. If that happens that’s great but that’s a lot of players attempting to play in the NHL full time in a roster that is supposed to be competing for a SC.

I don’t get the relation of that to Liljegren. His ELC has started regardless of where he plays.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

For sure, I’d say he needs until mid February or so. If everything goes smoothly and there are no injuries, he should be ready before the TDL.

I do think it’s great that when he does move up he won’t have to deal with Babcock, who managed to crush his confidence in the first 5 minutes of preseason this year.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Liljegren's ELC starts this year regardless of him being in the AHL or NHL.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
My apologies, still playing 20 mins vs 10-12 on the third pairing is the main issue for me.
I think with Keefe here they would try to play him a little more than that. Probably closer to 17-18 minutes.

He's not going to play 25-30 here obviously at the start but if we can get him semi-regular minutes it would be great for him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
For sure, I’d say he needs until mid February or so. If everything goes smoothly and there are no injuries, he should be ready before the TDL.

I do think it’s great that when he does move up he won’t have to deal with Babcock, who managed to crush his confidence in the first 5 minutes of preseason this year.
His comments were pretty telling when he technically made the team. He said he felt that he let one mistake affect him the rest of the game. When he was asked about what makes Keefe good, he kept bringing up he makes you confident. Even with a mistake, Keefe would encourage him. It really makes Babcock look bad. He pretty much made up his mind about Lilly in the 1st game.

As the above poster mentioned, I think Keefe would give 16-17 minutes in the NHL. It's not like Babcock, who would play Sandin 10-12 minutes, where you may as well send him down.

Reactions: chamchibap

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
His comments were pretty telling when he technically made the team. He said he felt that he let one mistake affect him the rest of the game. When he was asked about what makes Keefe good, he kept bringing up he makes you confident. Even with a mistake, Keefe would encourage him. It really makes Babcock look bad. He pretty much made up his mind about Lilly in the 1st game.

As the above poster mentioned, I think Keefe would give 16-17 minutes in the NHL. It's not like Babcock, who would play Sandin 10-12 minutes, where you may as well send him down.
That certainly sounds like the book on Keefe: teaching, encouraging, challenging. He’s been developing on the farm just like the players.
Pretty good bet that Sandin/Lili are the third pair next year, reaping that benefit, with less sheltering than they would have been given under Babs.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
That certainly sounds like the book on Keefe: teaching, encouraging, challenging. He’s been developing on the farm just like the players.
Pretty good bet that Sandin/Lili are the third pair next year, reaping that benefit, with less sheltering than they would have been given under Babs.
I think we'll probably see more of a seudo-second pair if Holl is retained and we upgrade the right side with a guy that can handle heavy minutes.

Rielly-??? -24-25 minutes
Sandin-Liljegren 17-18 minutes
Dermott-Holl 17-18 minutes.

Could play them more or less depending on the game but by the end of the year hopefully you have yourselves what looks to be the next Ekholm-Ellis type 2nd pair

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I think we'll probably see more of a seudo-second pair if Holl is retained and we upgrade the right side with a guy that can handle heavy minutes.

Could play them more or less depending on the game but by the end of the year hopefully you have yourselves what looks to be the next Ekholm-Ellis type 2nd pair
That’s a better description....almost exactly what I envision.
Of course, finding the ‘???’ is the hard part.
A right handed Jake Muzzin signed at term sounds like the ‘???’.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
That’s a better description....almost exactly what I envision.
Of course, finding the ‘???’ is the hard part.
A right handed Jake Muzzin signed at term sounds like the ‘???’.
I mean if we can pry one of those two St.Louis guys not named Faulk loose that would work too.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

I like that as a possibility. I also remember Liljegren and Dermott had pretty good chemistry together on the Marlies. Keefe might prefer that on the second pair rather than two rookies together in the NHL:

Rielly - XXX
Dermott - Liljegren
Sandin - Holl

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I like that as a possibility. I also remember Liljegren and Dermott had pretty good chemistry together on the Marlies. Keefe might prefer that on the second pair rather than two rookies together in the NHL:

Rielly - XXX
Dermott - Liljegren
Sandin - Holl
Could go that route as well and I wouldn't mind it. Dermott still has upside as a top 4 guy as well once he gets his legs under him again.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Agostino-Brooks-Bracco
Wilson-Gaudet-Read
Korshkov-MacMaster-Aberg
Archibald-Elynuk-Pooley

Sandin-Liljegren
Kivihalme-Schmaltz
Rubins-Lindgren

Woll
Lineup changes: Rubins in for Harpur, Lindgren in for Hollowell who was also sent down. Archibald in for Baptiste.
Woll to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad