Marlies / Prospects Thread Spring 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Agreed, I thought both had really good games. It's nice to see that Spott has so much confidence in them, makes you think they aren't too far away from the NHL.

2 Rookie defencemen shutting down the best team in the league in the conference final. D'Amigo with the highest PPG in the playoffs. Leivo, Holland, Mckegg & Carrick playing big roles, producing and defending well.

Grim indeed. This narrative spewed by a couple people around here about how MacIntyre, Marshall and Smith are carrying this team is wearing thin.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
“Look who is winning it for so many teams, guys such as Brandon Bollig, Brian Boyle, Dale Weise, the impact of third and fourth-liners. Everyone has two or three top-line players. It’s the balance you need.

Doesn't surprise me that someone from Leafs management chooses to highlight the contributions of three role-players but ignores all the players with skill really making an impact out there. I don't want to completely crap on those players because they have been effective in their roles but it's this mentality that really ticks me off. It's at the core of the flawed thinking that this organization has clung too for a long time....

I totally agree. It's really bad. It's been going on for at least a decade, it needs to stop. I get it...role players are needed, but they shouldn't at the core of your team, they shouldn't the core pieces that you go after. And prime example is David Clarkson, the way Nonis and the whole organization pleaded and praised him...like holy crap, the guy is a third liner who had a career year. I'll never understand the absolute love of 3rd line players with this fan base and the organization. It's amazing.

I remember years ago certain people would say things like " We could use 9 Tuckers out there...if we had 9 Tuckers in our line-up we'd be in last place. That's how deluded people are in this city when it comes to checkers. Let's forget about skill and scoring goals,,,nah let's all go out and fill our team with a bunch of grinders who score 10-20 goals a year.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
I only watched the last 5 minutes, but I could have sworn I saw Holzer.

Nope. And unfortunately for the marlies Spott said post game that he's going to be out awhile with a lower body injury. Also mentioned he that he thought Biggs was good in game 3

Number13

May 21, 2007
I totally agree. It's really bad. It's been going on for at least a decade, it needs to stop. I get it...role players are needed, but they shouldn't at the core of your team, they shouldn't the core pieces that you go after. And prime example is David Clarkson, the way Nonis and the whole organization pleaded and praised him...like holy crap, the guy is a third liner who had a career year. I'll never understand the absolute love of 3rd line players with this fan base and the organization. It's amazing.

I remember years ago certain people would say things like " We could use 9 Tuckers out there...if we had 9 Tuckers in our line-up we'd be in last place. That's how deluded people are in this city when it comes to checkers. Let's forget about skill and scoring goals,,,nah let's all go out and fill our team with a bunch of grinders who score 10-20 goals a year.

Scoring isn't our problem, that's what you guys seem to be missing. We have a very skilled top 6, we need DEFENSE. And a big part of that is having defensive forwards who compete hard, like Tucker did or like Boyle, Bollig and Weise do now. So yeah, it is exciting to see our young prospects compete hard in the Calder Cup playoffs, especially prospects that would fill needs on the Leafs as bottom 6 forwards. But like you guys said, lets not promote our hard working youth so we can just add more skill in our bottom six and make us even worse defensively, that should TOTALLY solve our problems. :shakehead

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Scoring isn't our problem, that's what you guys seem to be missing. We have a very skilled top 6, we need DEFENSE. And a big part of that is having defensive forwards who compete hard, like Tucker did or like Boyle, Bollig and Weise do now. So yeah, it is exciting to see our young prospects compete hard in the Calder Cup playoffs, especially prospects that would fill needs on the Leafs as bottom 6 forwards. But like you guys said, lets not promote our hard working youth so we can just add more skill in our bottom six and make us even worse defensively, that should TOTALLY solve our problems. :shakehead

Bottom two lines play what, a combined 16 minutes a night? I too would like a 4th line that can actually play hockey, unlike whatever abomination of a line Carlyle rolls out for 3 minutes a game, but it's hard to improve your overall results by improving 1/4 of your on ice-personnel. No, this team could benefit a lot more from more two-way top 6 forwards and and defensemen. Upgrading marginal players is, well, a marginal upgrade. IMO.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Nope. And unfortunately for the marlies Spott said post game that he's going to be out awhile with a lower body injury. Also mentioned he that he thought Biggs was good in game 3

Maybe Knodel will get into the lineup instead of Yeo, it's not he'd be taking that spot away from a regular (Knodel played 9 games at the end of the season, Yeo played 12 games thoughout the season). If he really thought Biggs was good then he should be in the lineup more

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
Bumped into Damigo and Ryan drinking a pitcher of water at a pub downtown last night.

Damigo was a little cocky, but cool and Ryan was more friendly.

They were pushing to let everyone know to come to the games.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
How is the Marlies D looking for next year? Does Matt Finn have a shot at playing on the top 2 pairings?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have a feeling Tom Nilsson is going to really impress in training camp

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
How is the Marlies D looking for next year? Does Matt Finn have a shot at playing on the top 2 pairings?

I would think so.

But it's dependant on who's with the big club and who's kept.

Brennen and Holzer are question marks. Brennen is a UFA, And Holzer should probably be given a shot some where else if he's not going to get another look here.

Granberg could be a bottoming pairing guy with the Leafs as well. MacWilliam may push for a spot as well.

So it could look like.

Percy - Loov
Finn - Marshall
Knodel - Nilsson

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
AV runs New York (and had Run Vancouver) the same no line played more than 18 minutes. so if we can build 2 lines that can play this side of 15 and this side of 12 - that would be fantastic.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
He's good, but I think he'll need a season to get used to the rink among other things. I think Nilsson will become a nice bottom pairing physical shutdown D for us though.

I think the smaller ice would be better for him the way he plays. He's already a really good hitter on the big ice and I can't wait until next year seeing him and possibly Macwilliam laying people out.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Bottom two lines play what, a combined 16 minutes a night? I too would like a 4th line that can actually play hockey, unlike whatever abomination of a line Carlyle rolls out for 3 minutes a game, but it's hard to improve your overall results by improving 1/4 of your on ice-personnel. No, this team could benefit a lot more from more two-way top 6 forwards and and defensemen. Upgrading marginal players is, well, a marginal upgrade. IMO.

With how fast hockey is, any given 16 minutes can make or break a game. I agree we need probably one more top 6 player (I'm rooting for Abbott), but after that it's our bottom six that needs the most work. Bringing in some hungry, competitive youngsters and a hard hitting vet or two like Komarov will do wonders for this team.

Yes the minutes are marginal in comparison to the top six forward group, but the impact a well put together bottom six can have should not be understated. Just look at Boston and the Blackhawks for examples.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

I think it depends on how many current Marlies return. If none of Percy/Granberg/MacWilliam make the Leafs out of training camp, there would be max 1 open top4 spot, and he would be competing against 3 other prospects for said spot, all of whom have experience playing professionally.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I would think so.

Brennen and Holzer are question marks. Brennen is a UFA, And Holzer should probably be given a shot some where else if he's not going to get another look here.

Granberg could be a bottoming pairing guy with the Leafs as well. MacWilliam may push for a spot as well.

So it could look like.

Percy - Loov
Finn - Marshall
Knodel - Nilsson

I've gone to all but 1 playoff game and I think Percy could make the Leafs. He's got a great stick, is calm and makes some solid/safe passes.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I've gone to all but 1 playoff game and I think Percy could make the Leafs. He's got a great stick, is calm and makes some solid/safe passes.

He probably could, But could he in the top 4? I think he's a bit too green at the moment.

I'd rather him play 25+ minutes down there, Then 10-12 on the 3rd pairing with the Leafs.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
He probably could, But could he in the top 4? I think he's a bit too green at the moment.

I'd rather him play 25+ minutes down there, Then 10-12 on the 3rd pairing with the Leafs.

We'll see how he looks in training camp. One more year in the AHL shouldn't hurt him.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
With how fast hockey is, any given 16 minutes can make or break a game. I agree we need probably one more top 6 player (I'm rooting for Abbott), but after that it's our bottom six that needs the most work. Bringing in some hungry, competitive youngsters and a hard hitting vet or two like Komarov will do wonders for this team.

Yes the minutes are marginal in comparison to the top six forward group, but the impact a well put together bottom six can have should not be understated. Just look at Boston and the Blackhawks for examples.
... I don't think 16 minutes is enough for the bottom 2 lines to play.Id prefer 20-24 minutes depending on the circumstances in a given game.Your bottom two lines should be hard working, fast skating, forechecking type lines that can give you sufficient offensive zone time. This cuts down on the shots against and, theoretically, goals against. Some offensive production would be expected also which I believe can be done with the players at our disposal (Some returning players, some Marlies)... The Bozak line has to become more defensively responsible to some extent which can be aided with a better system and better positional play in their own end.The Kadri line has to be improved with a return to form by Lupul and the addition of a responsible 2 way winger... Okay, I've solved our problems..Am I hired?...lol.....P.S. I'd rather try the above, see some effort, and miss the playoffs and get a good pick in a deep draft than continue to try the "patchwork" game we've kept trying for decades with trades for veterans and free agent signings..These things are done to augment a good team not build one.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
AV runs New York (and had Run Vancouver) the same no line played more than 18 minutes. so if we can build 2 lines that can play this side of 15 and this side of 12 - that would be fantastic.

You have to be able to run 4 lines for long term success. Not just a 4th line of face punchers but all 4 lines need to have a balance of offense,defense and compete.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You have to be able to run 4 lines for long term success. Not just a 4th line of face punchers but all 4 lines need to have a balance of offense,defense and compete.

well that's my point. i mean people keep saying we can't spend x on our 3-4 lines - but if we just redevelop 1 first line and 2 2nnd lines does that change the $ or the mentality?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I would think so.

So it could look like.

Percy - Loov
Finn - Marshall
Knodel - Nilsson

I see Percy and Nilsson as a pairing for the marlies next year

MilanKraft*

Jamie Devane. ..

Is he going to play on the leafs next year?

I know he's a goon prospect but what are his long term chances of staying with the team?
Fighting is so down in the NHL but maybe he can bring back some excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad