Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He seems really promising, I just hope he's not another Andrew Nielsen, they even played for the same WHL team lol. Nielsen was a weird case where he had a great rookie AHL season and then just never got any better.

Going to hold my expectations for an 18 year old from Lethbridge.

I remember being really high on another Lethbridge prospect, Andrew Nielsen

Dont' think he's playing hockey anymore

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Chadwick was ranked 154th by Central scouting so somewhat below Nielsen (who still wasn't ranked in the top 100). At least he was taken around where he was rated.

The WHL players taken between 2016 and 2020 would have been mostly Derkatch people with maybe some Speltz in there because DD came in summer 2015 and Speltz the summer of 2016. Garth Malarchuk was also a western scout and may have have brought them Neilsen and probably Valiev in 2014. I am not sure how he and Derkatch divided the Dub.

Derkatch left after the 2021 draft so Lisowski. Chadwick and Malinoski are not his. Maybe Malarchuk again? Based on the western draftees I don't see the allure of Malarchuk but it is certainly possible that the players he contributed to the annual lists were later found to be good choices but just not there when the club selected.

About Chadwick he was a big offensive producer before coming to the WHL so this year would not be a complete surprise, and his draft year lack of offense would not be the reason he was a 6th round choice. Hopefully whatever else he was lacking matured with the offense. Skills with the puck were not all that he was missing.

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Chadwick was ranked 154th by Central scouting so somewhat below Nielsen (who still wasn't ranked in the top 100). At least he was taken around where he was rated.

The WHL players taken between 2016 and 2020 would have been mostly Derkatch people with maybe some Speltz in there because DD came in summer 2015 and Speltz the summer of 2016. Garth Malarchuk was also a western scout and may have have brought them Neilsen and probably Valiev in 2014. I am not sure how he and Derkatch divided the Dub.

Derkatch left after the 2021 draft so Lisowski. Chadwick and Malinoski are not his. Maybe Malarchuk again? Based on the western draftees I don't see the allure of Malarchuk but it is certainly possible that the players he contributed to the annual lists were later found to be good choices but just not there when the club selected.

About Chadwick he was a big offensive producer before coming to the WHL so this year would not be a complete surprise, and his draft year lack of offense would not be the reason he was a 6th round choice. Hopefully whatever else he was lacking matured with the offense. Skills with the puck were not all that he was missing.

Hopefully he can work out

Btw, Thanks for infor on Darkatch. Just looked him up as a scout. He was 5'5 D in Western League in the 80s
How did he make it out alive?

His numbers as a player was staggering

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Btw, Thanks for infor on Darkatch. Just looked him up as a scout. He was 5'5 D in Western League in the 80s

Yes. Born a few years too early to have gotten a real NHL chance and few years too late to become a WHA wrecking machine.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

About Chadwick he was a big offensive producer before coming to the WHL so this year would not be a complete surprise, and his draft year lack of offense would not be the reason he was a 6th round choice. Hopefully whatever else he was lacking matured with the offense. Skills with the puck were not all that he was missing
@nuck :

I’m just here to say you are on fire posting today!

All great reads.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The thing about late rounders is the Leafs never rush them. He will be given years to develop. Odds are you wont see him play in The NHL till he is 23. I remember us all getting excited about Niemela. Now he is 23 and looking like a 3rd pairing.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The thing about late rounders is the Leafs never rush them. He will be given years to develop. Odds are you wont see him play in The NHL till he is 23. I rememeber us all getting exciting about Niemela. Now is 23 and looking like a 3rd pairing.

In those last rounds ...

Matt Roy anyone?

Some do make it.

It is amazing that the last player pick does, but then unpicked players do as well.

So what's more remarkable, 6th. - 7th. rounds making it (full time) or unpicked?

Reactions: Lauro

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009

Numbers were staggering for sure... but he was a Centreman... not a Defenseman.

Reactions: Lauro and fahad203

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Nielsen had unfixable skating and bad defensive instincts, I haven’t seen much of Chadwick but as long as his weaknesses are mechanically fixable he shouldn’t run into the same wall.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Numbers were staggering for sure... but he was a Centreman... not a Defenseman.
I remember reading an article about Derkatch once. He basically admitted that, other than just his size, the reason he didn't really make it as a pro was he just didn't put in the work and by the time he realized it, it was too late

Reactions: Frostitute

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I remember reading an article about Derkatch once. He basically admitted that, other than just his size, the reason he didn't really make it as a pro was he just didn't put in the work and by the time he realized it, it was too late
He was making great money in Europe and Edmonton only offered a two way contract. He had kids already and was not going to take a pay cut to chase the NHL. He worked his butt off and was offered a contract 3 years in a row. Dale was super talented and closer to 5'3" then 5'5".

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I remember Derkatch playing for SB Rosenheim in Bavaria being one of the top players of the 1. Bundesliga in Germany at the beginning of the 90s.

Reactions: Frostitute

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
BU lost in OT and thus, Webber is now free to sign. Webber was the defenseman on that 1 v 1. His gap control there was pretty bad, he should have been a lot more aggressive on the entry instead of just letting him walk in and shoot.

Not the best look....playing defense is pretty unforgiveable at times.

I remember watching a stretch of Vegas hockey this year and often enough I was saying "Wow Pietrangelo f***ed up on that play" - I kind of wonder if he was playing hurt as he's been out a while now but it just goes to show you even the best in the world can mess it up.

Webber has some work to do, maybe 1-2 years in the AHL helps. I think we need to look at our development staff in the AHL - Futa talked about how they had a ton of confidence they could fix issues in LA when they drafted kids but we've not been able to draft and develop defenseman.

Maybe Muzzin / Gio could be apart of that.

Reactions: horner

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The thing about late rounders is the Leafs never rush them. He will be given years to develop. Odds are you wont see him play in The NHL till he is 23. I remember us all getting excited about Niemela. Now he is 23 and looking like a 3rd pairing.
Just turned 22. His floor is third pairing, ceiling up one pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad