Marlies GDT: Marlies Calder Cup Champions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Please don't make this another Babcock thread, focus on how well the Marlies are doing.

Anyone know much about the Texas Stars roster?
I got carried away, but PromiseLand kept taking shots at him. Felt he should be set straight. I think I did well.

Just had a quick look at the season stats. They are average in basically all categories, but have made it this far, so they must be good.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Can't argue there. Despite Babcock's obvious flaws (which can be strengths at times, as with many flaws), few rational people can honestly say we aren't lucky to have him, just as we are lucky to have Keefe to prepare our best prospects to push him into gradually making the right decisions. Yay Keefe!

Where's Bylsma when we need him to replace Babcock? He did a pretty awesome job with the rebuilding Sabres. :sarcasm:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Sparks is in such an awkward situation. Yes, he’s doing great, but no, he probably can’t steal Andersen’s job. If you play him as a back-up, you risk him stagnating, if you leave him with the marlies, he might get claimed.
i doubt he'll stagnate if he gets 25-30 NHL games next year, like he should

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Who's the next Johnson?

What I mean is who will take his minutes on the Marlies next year?

Kapanen graduated late last season/ this year, and Johnson ran with the torch as the scoring minutes opened up.

Tima? Brooks? Engvall? Bracco? Moore? Lots of options. This is a HUGE summer for these kids.
Likely Bracco - he went PPG once he got more time & offensive opportunity once Johnsson & Kapanen were called up.

Others would be Grundstrom & Engvall being huge pieces next ear, think Brooks can be a decent 3C in some time.
Sparks is in such an awkward situation. Yes, he’s doing great, but no, he probably can’t steal Andersen’s job. If you play him as a back-up, you risk him stagnating, if you leave him with the marlies, he might get claimed.
Doesn't really seem that awkward to me. Any team with a goalie putting up his AHL stats would bring him up as the backup, he's too good for it to develop more. Also not sure why you think being a backup is stagnating, he would definitely develop more in NHL games than AHL. And he would most definitely be claimed.

Run Andersen-Sparks next year with a 50/30 split, and if Sparks dominates then we look to maybe moving Andersen, and doing it all over again when we get Woll to Sparks' standard in a couple years.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Likely Bracco - he went PPG once he got more time & offensive opportunity once Johnsson & Kapanen were called up.

Others would be Grundstrom & Engvall being huge pieces next ear, think Brooks can be a decent 3C in some time.

Doesn't really seem that awkward to me. Any team with a goalie putting up his AHL stats would bring him up as the backup, he's too good for it to develop more. Also not sure why you think being a backup is stagnating, he would definitely develop more in NHL games than AHL. And he would most definitely be claimed.

Run Andersen-Sparks next year with a 50/30 split, and if Sparks dominates then we look to maybe moving Andersen, and doing it all over again when we get Woll to Sparks' standard in a couple years.

Grundstrom will likely be on the Leafs. Engvall could be back in Sweden depending on his contract. Brooks was also a PPG player when paired with Smith and Mueller on the wing. Regardless, I think the Marlies have enough talent to make a similar run for the Calder next year with the secondary players vying to become the next leader like Johnsson has been this time around.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Actually Babcock changed those strategies, but your preciois players werent executing.
Clearly Babcock is to blame. Freddy five afterall cant do wrong.

so you have the inside track on how babcock had perfect strategies while players weren't executing?

It took babcock

• 2 losses to realize that "may be" Plek should be matched against Bergeron line
  • Komarov injury to insert Johnsson in the line up (couldn't have made that decision for the 15-20 game sample from Johnsson? that f***ING laughable)
  • Did not change the lines despite being down in the 3rd period of game 7
  • 2 of 3 games Leafs won were inspite of babcock and more because of Freddie going god mode
Freddie's game log
Frederik Andersen Stats and News

He faced 40+ shots in 3 games; 32+ shots in 2 games and was pulled in the 2nd game

Here is the link for SA/G for all the playoff teams
NHL.com - Stats

Clearly, babock had the perfect streategy it is the guys who let boston team take shots on net; after all, they are a Canadian team and in Canada we are all "nice" so babcock was just being nice too i guess

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Mikeyg

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I will give him that. You want a coach who doesn't give up on players at the drop of his hat. Komarov deserved to the time to get his game back, and when he didn't, Babcock made the choices that were most fair all things considered. And Johnsson didn't really start finding the gears he has now until this season and he didn't really start exploding until Aaltonnen found his feet and could support his rise.

Komaorv sucked ass entire year its not like he started playing bad late in the season; if a coach doesn't recognize that or gives a soundbite in the presser "whats the corsi on that" for a polak hit while polak has consistently been a :facepalm: worthy d-man

then........................

Reactions: Mikeyg

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Grundstrom will likely be on the Leafs. Engvall could be back in Sweden depending on his contract. Brooks was also a PPG player when paired with Smith and Mueller on the wing. Regardless, I think the Marlies have enough talent to make a similar run for the Calder next year with the secondary players vying to become the next leader like Johnsson has been this time around.
I'm projecting Grundstrom to make it as well but just mentioned him in case he doesn't. Think this could be the depth chart next season:

C: Lindholm (1), Brooks (2), Gauthier (3), Greening (4)
LW: Engvall, Timashov, Marchment, Moore
RW: Bracco, Smith, Baun, Dzierkals

LD: Marincin, Rosen, Borgman
RD: Liljegren, Holl, Loverde

Any disagreements on that list from the consistent Marlies watchers?

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
so you have the inside track on how babcock had perfect strategies while players weren't executing?

It took babcock

• 2 losses to realize that "may be" Plek should be matched against Bergeron line
  • Komarov injury to insert Johnsson in the line up (couldn't have made that decision for the 15-20 game sample from Johnsson? that ****ING laughable)
  • Did not change the lines despite being down in the 3rd period of game 7
  • 2 of 3 games Leafs won were inspite of babcock and more because of Freddie going god mode
Freddie's game log
Frederik Andersen Stats and News

He faced 40+ shots in 3 games; 32+ shots in 2 games and was pulled in the 2nd game

Here is the link for SA/G for all the playoff teams
NHL.com - Stats

Clearly, babock had the perfect streategy it is the guys who let boston team take shots on net; after all, they are a Canadian team and in Canada we are all "nice" so babcock was just being nice too i guess

Man you need some help. The fact you go on a rant about a guy whose not even part of the Marlies is :shakehead: worthy.
You can live in your fantasy world, where Babcock is the blame for every problem on this team, but I will live in reality and logic.
If you want to list every fault of Babcock, well I could list every good thing, but you will ignore that because hey "Babcock is the biggest disgrace to this league":sarcasm:
Hopefully Freddy five stops failing in the playoffs

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm projecting Grundstrom to make it as well but just mentioned him in case he doesn't. Think this could be the depth chart next season:

Baun's a UFA who has done little to earn a contract going forward. I'd replace him with Pospisil or perhaps one of the better performing NCAA ATOs we had like Ferguson or Plouffe (who can also play center).

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Man you need some help. The fact you go on a rant about a guy whose not even part of the Marlies is :shakehead: worthy.
You can live in your fantasy world, where Babcock is the blame for every problem on this team, but I will live in reality and logic.
If you want to list every fault of Babcock, well I could list every good thing, but you will ignore that because hey "Babcock is the biggest disgrace to this league":sarcasm:
Hopefully Freddy five stops failing in the playoffs

I made a joke about Johnsson being a "man" and asked right babcock? and then you came in defending the honour of your knight in shining armour. Should I go through your post history and post the links to all your posts of you worshipping babcock?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

looks pretty good (don't watch marlies often); I was hoping Korshkov could come play for the Marlies but that hope boat has sailed......

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Baun's a UFA who has done little to earn a contract going forward. I'd replace him with Pospisil or perhaps one of the better performing NCAA ATOs we had like Ferguson or Plouffe (who can also play center).
Ah thought he showed promise but guess not. I didn't list Mueller so I guess replace Baun with Mueller or one of the guys you mentioned.

Also forgot Ozhiganov, so he's probably ahead of Loverde on the depth chart.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it would do the org well for Marincin to be qualified and anchor the best D in the AHL for another year. Is there any compelling reason not to?

He might want a chance to make an NHL team which won't happen with Babcock. He could also just go back to Europe and potentially make more money.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Hey Mike "how can you let your d man get beat, and Andersen not bail them out"
Babcock is so bad

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Lindholm could be on the Leafs... but otherwise no disagreements.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Lindholm could be on the Leafs... but otherwise no disagreements.
Yeah, it's essentially Lindholm or Aaltonen being the 4C in my eyes (with the 4th line Ws being Grundstrom-Brown)

Hey Mike "how can you let your d man get beat, and Andersen not bail them out"
Babcock is so bad

Enough.

This is a Marlies thread. Not a defend Babcock thread. I'd mention that it is Mike's fault that he didn't challenge offsides on that play which would've negated the goal, but then I'd get a Babcult rant.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
He might want a chance to make an NHL team which won't happen with Babcock. He could also just go back to Europe and potentially make more money.

Since he will be available on waivers, every team in the NHL will have a shot at him. Who in Europe will pay him $1.3 million a year? (that's how much he will
make if the leafs qualify him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad