Marlies GDT: Marlies Calder Cup Champions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lilly got benched when the Marlies were protecting the lead.
Imagine if Babcock did that
Nevermind I forgot, Babcock told Keefe to bench him

Reactions: saltming

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I still have hope for Marincin; he could be a late bloomer. The "tank" season he was terrific with Rielly as a top pair. I think he just lacks self-confidence; he needs to get his head in the game and believe in his abilities; he will be fine IMO

The good news is that I think there could be a few teams out there who will believe the same thing and be willing to give us a late round pick for him.

We paid a 4th and Ross for him. Ross is whatever, but I think he's been worth the 4th rounder. 100 or so games of what I think was mostly a solid body of work, especially given he was put in some high end spots for a good stretch of time, and then a full season where he was a rock for the Marlies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Don't count Texas out if they win. McKenna has been Sparks level in net all post season and they have a deep lineup as well. We are the better team and should be the favourites, but it would not be the first time Toronto teams have had mental lapses against inferior teams.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
This is fair. Its just annoying that one poster has to bring Babcock into this thread. Some posters agendas against him are cringe worthy.
But yeah im the "insecure one"

Can't argue there. Despite Babcock's obvious flaws (which can be strengths at times, as with many flaws), few rational people can honestly say we aren't lucky to have him, just as we are lucky to have Keefe to prepare our best prospects to push him into gradually making the right decisions. Yay Keefe!

Reactions: stickty111

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
We all knew that it would take Johnsson playing 3x better than Komarov for Babcock to reluctantly decide to pencil him in to the Leafs lineup. That is the way Babcock rolls. The very fact that was put in over Komarov told anyone who knows hockey how good Johnson actually is and can be.
Yep, there was nothing special about Babcock recognizing how good Johnsson was, anyone with a brain would see the difference. It's actually a negative on how long he took to switch someone in that made the team better.
Congrats to the Marlies. They will win the Calder Cup. They don't make mistakes. Extremely polished team. I sense that Lou is going to be coming after Sparks in the off-season.
Hopefully Dubas doesn't let Sparks go, Pickard and McBackup should be made available instead.
But is Johnsson a "Man"?

:sarcasm:

:laugh:
:laugh: how someone can praise a coach for not being sure who was better in the 15-20 game stretch at the end of the season when Johnsson was easily better eye test and stats wise putting up the top Corsi rel and xGf rel with Komarov at the bottom, and then ends up choosing Komarov until he's injured. Maybe we don't lose the first 2 games with Komaplug on the bench

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The good news is that I think there could be a few teams out there who will believe the same thing and be willing to give us a late round pick for him.

We paid a 4th and Ross for him. Ross is whatever, but I think he's been worth the 4th rounder. 100 or so games of what I think was mostly a solid body of work, especially given he was put in some high end spots for a good stretch of time, and then a full season where he was a rock for the Marlies.

I think Marincin is done after this season and is a UFA; if am not mistaken

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Don't count Texas out if they win. McKenna has been Sparks level in net all post season and they have a deep lineup as well. We are the better team and should be the favourites, but it would not be the first time Toronto teams have had mental lapses against inferior teams.

Rockford does seem to be climbing back into it, though, so we might end up playing them. I would prefer Rockford, as I'd like to see how Chris DiDimenico is doing and if he might be worth picking up as some additional center depth for the franchise.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks. Sparks is great and the Islanders need goaltending, but hopefully Dubas will be able to use his experience as Marlies GM to keep Sparks here
I see that as Dubas knows what he's worth and a price can either be met or he can be an important part of the team as a backup next year -- you never truly know when or how your next #1 can emerge.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No you are right. Babcock told Freddy to be terrible half the series, and told him to callapse in game 7.

actually Babcock used Freddie's breakouts and stretch pass strategies and also tried full well to score on Boston's weak lines

Clearly Freddie is to blame; babcock afterall can't do wrong.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Can't argue there. Despite Babcock's obvious flaws (which can be strengths at times, as with many flaws), few rational people can honestly say we aren't lucky to have him, just as we are lucky to have Keefe to prepare our best prospects to push him into gradually making the right decisions. Yay Keefe!

Yup. How someone can hate on Babcock after leading us to the playoffs, and game 7 this year despite the goalie not showing up is sad.
Thank you Saltming for the like, shows which people are the logical ones.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Lilly was benched with the extra attacker on for the Phantoms. Let's not pretend that he wasn't played for the entire 30 minutes the Marlies held the lead for the second time. I don't think any rookie would see ice time in the final two minutes. They have LoVerde, Holl, Dermy and Marty specifically for that role.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
actually Babcock used Freddie's breakouts and stretch pass strategies and also tried full well to score on Boston's weak lines

Clearly Freddie is to blame; babcock afterall can't do wrong.

Actually Babcock changed those strategies, but your preciois players werent executing.
Clearly Babcock is to blame. Freddy five afterall cant do wrong.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lilly was benched with the extra attacker on for the Phantoms. Let's not pretend that he wasn't played for the entire 30 minutes the Marlies held the lead for the second time. I don't think any rookie would see ice time in the final two minutes. They have LoVerde, Holl, Dermy and Marty specifically for that role.
Not correct. Lilly didnt see a shift in the last 10 minutes.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Who's the next Johnson?

What I mean is who will take his minutes on the Marlies next year?

Kapanen graduated late last season/ this year, and Johnson ran with the torch as the scoring minutes opened up.

Tima? Brooks? Engvall? Bracco? Moore? Lots of options. This is a HUGE summer for these kids.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I see that as Dubas knows what he's worth and a price can either be met or he can be an important part of the team as a backup next year -- you never truly know when or how your next #1 can emerge.

Funny you mention this. I was watching a youtube video the other day (tried to search cant find it now); there was a guy who was showing statistics on what percentage of players drafted 2nd round and after make the NHL (play X number of games); and he showed some consistency in the data for a 10 year draft period

then he said the "goalies" are voodoo :laugh:

in his data he could not find any statistical evidence that goalies picked in "X" round would be your defacto no.1 choice :laugh:

so yes...completely agree with your last sentence

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Who's the next Johnson?

What I mean is who will take his minutes on the Marlies next year?

Kapanen graduated late last season/ this year, and Johnson ran with the torch as the scoring minutes opened up.

Tima? Brooks? Engvall? Bracco? Moore? Lots of options. This is a HUGE summer for these kids.
Bracco will probably shine next year

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
To be fair to Babs, Leo was a pretty big piece of the puzzle before this season and Johnsson wasn't looked at like he is now to start the year. He eventually figured it out.

I will give him that. You want a coach who doesn't give up on players at the drop of his hat. Komarov deserved to the time to get his game back, and when he didn't, Babcock made the choices that were most fair all things considered. And Johnsson didn't really start finding the gears he has now until this season and he didn't really start exploding until Aaltonnen found his feet and could support his rise.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Please don't make this another Babcock thread, focus on how well the Marlies are doing.

Anyone know much about the Texas Stars roster?

Reactions: Lauro

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
All need to be on the NHL team next szn
Sparks is in such an awkward situation. Yes, he’s doing great, but no, he probably can’t steal Andersen’s job. If you play him as a back-up, you risk him stagnating, if you leave him with the marlies, he might get claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad