Mark Stone vs Leon Draisaitl

Who would you rather have on your team?

• Stone

• Draisaitl

Results are only viewable after voting.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
ok, let's work through this, for the slow...

p1: McDavid improves production. You just admitted that, and it would hold true if the baseline was Tkachuck or White.
p2: Draisaitl plays half his 5v5 time with Mcdavid. This is true.

Based on the three premises...
- C1: If Stone and Draisaitl switched situations over the last two years, Stone's production probably would improve, and the opposite would probably happen for Draisaitl

We can keep going...
p4: Stone and Draisaitl score at the same 5v5 rate over the last two years. This is true
P5: Even with a lowered p/60 rate, the 5v5 production difference over the last two years can be explained by Draisaitl playing about 450 extra minutes. This is also true; the difference would be about 4-6 points over the last two years if stone dropped from 2.42 to 2.00 p/60 in the extra minutes.
- C2: Since Stone is in a worse situation and doing just as good, Stone is a better 5v5 offensive player.

P6: Stone is a better defensive player. No one disagrees with this.
P7: If player X is a better 5v5 offensive player and overall defensive player than player Y, player X is probably the better player.

C: Over the last two years, Stone has probably been a better player than Draisaitl.

This really is not a complicated question. Removing subjective eye test, one piece of evidence suggests Draisaitl is better, and every other piece of evidence suggest Stone is better. That tells me Stone is probably better.

P3a. Draisaitl has better teammates over the last two years than Taylor Hall. This is also true.

C1. If Hall and Draisaitl switched places the last two years, Hall's production would probably improve.

Wait, his production with McDavid wasnt that great because they both needed to drive play.

C1... recalculating....recalculating ...

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Well, it depends... do you want the better player or the player who will help you win the cup?.

Leon Draisaitl is the better player but Mark Stone is the guy you want, if you want to win the cup,
nothing away from Draisaitl and no offence to his attributes.

My pick: Mark Stone

Did I miss Stone winning a cup?

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
P3a. Draisaitl has better teammates over the last two years than Taylor Hall. This is also true.

C1. If Hall and Draisaitl switched places the last two years, Hall's production would probably improve.

Wait, his production with McDavid wasnt that great because they both needed to drive play.

C1... recalculating....recalculating ...

Hall and McDavid played 75 minutes together at 5v5. You cannot draw any conclusion based on that sample size. Anyway, if you really want to use that sample, most of the other stats, like CF%, SF%, SCF%, xGF%, suggest Hall and McDavid were better together than without each other. They probably would have started scoring more if the Oilers let them play more than 75 minutes together.

Even if you could draw from a large sample, all you would have shown is that inductive arguments, sometimes, cannot be proven, and they can be wrong in certain situations. These are two reasons why people use the word PROBABLY when using inductive arguments. Telling me that Hall does not improve with McDavid does nothing to diminish the truth that Stone would probably see a spike in scoring rate next to McDavid.
If you want to show it is probably not the case, maybe show me a list of players that actually play significant minutes with McDavid and not improve point production rate. After that, show me that that list is longer than the one of the players that McDavid does improve. Since McDavid is generally considered a top 3 offensive player in the world, the burden of proof is on you to show that Stone would probably not improve point production playing with him.

In any event, Stone really does not need to show his production would increase with McDavid. Much of the difference in production over the last two years can be explained by Draisaitl playing more minutes, and it can be explained the fact that Draisaitl ran a near 20% shooting rate this year, which is well above his norm.

A tip, if you are going to be condescending, which I love, truly, come up with some better arguments.

In the end, this thread is pretty simple. If you value the "advanced stats" approach, you will probably prefer Stone. If you prefer the "points scored" approach, you will probably prefer Drasiaitl.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Hall and McDavid played 75 minutes together at 5v5. You cannot draw any conclusion based on that sample size. Anyway, if you really want to use that sample, most of the other stats, like CF%, SF%, SCF%, xGF%, suggest Hall and McDavid were better together than without each other. They probably would have started scoring more if the Oilers let them play more than 75 minutes together.

Even if you could draw from a large sample, all you would have shown is that inductive arguments, sometimes, cannot be proven, and they can be wrong in certain situations. These are two reasons why people use the word PROBABLY when using inductive arguments. Telling me that Hall does not improve with McDavid does nothing to diminish the truth that Stone would probably see a spike in scoring rate next to McDavid.
If you want to show it is probably not the case, maybe show me a list of players that actually play significant minutes with McDavid and not improve point production rate. After that, show me that that list is longer than the one of the players that McDavid does improve. Since McDavid is generally considered a top 3 offensive player in the world, the burden of proof is on you to show that Stone would probably not improve point production playing with him.

In any event, Stone really does not need to show his production would increase with McDavid. Much of the difference in production over the last two years can be explained by Draisaitl playing more minutes, and it can be explained the fact that Draisaitl ran a near 20% shooting rate this year, which is well above his norm.

A tip, if you are going to be condescending, which I love, truly, come up with some better arguments.

In the end, this thread is pretty simple. If you value the "advanced stats" approach, you will probably prefer Stone. If you prefer the "points scored" approach, you will probably prefer Drasiaitl.

I was only being condescending because you started your original post off with - "Let's work through this, for the slow..." No reason to try and play the sarcastic victim card.

The burden of proof is not on me, this is the same circular logic religious people fall back on. You made the assertion Stone's production would probably improve, change the word from probably to maybe and we will agree. It's nowhere near definitive enough to make a positive assertion - "probably". Furthermore, it's impossible for me to prove non-existence.

I can draw a larger conclusion from Hall's 75 minutes with McDavid than you can from Stone's 0 minutes with McDavid, yes?

Again, your logic makes no sense. So the sample size was too small, but if found a larger sample size it wouldn't matter, because sometimes the 'inductive' argument doesn't work. Still, the burden is on me to find a list of players to disprove the argument, that still works when disproved because it's expected that sometimes the argument fails. Yeah...no.

Thread was asking which player is better, so if Stone's production increased by 5 points (proving your argument correct) he's still too far behind Draisaitl offensively. Sounds like your argument switched gears at the end and is now reliant on Stone playing the same distribution of minutes if he were on McDavid's wing. Too many what-ifs, too much speculation.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I think every team in the NHL would easily like to have this problem. I'd personally take Leon, since he's younger and has a better contract, and should continue to improve his game. Mark Stone is a beast though.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I was only being condescending because you started your original post off with - "Let's work through this, for the slow..." No reason to try and play the sarcastic victim card.

The burden of proof is not on me, this is the same circular logic religious people fall back on. You made the assertion Stone's production would probably improve, change the word from probably to maybe and we will agree. It's nowhere near definitive enough to make a positive assertion - "probably". Furthermore, it's impossible for me to prove non-existence.

I can draw a larger conclusion from Hall's 75 minutes with McDavid than you can from Stone's 0 minutes with McDavid, yes?

Again, your logic makes no sense. So the sample size was too small, but if found a larger sample size it wouldn't matter, because sometimes the 'inductive' argument doesn't work. Still, the burden is on me to find a list of players to disprove the argument, that still works when disproved because it's expected that sometimes the argument fails. Yeah...no.

Thread was asking which player is better, so if Stone's production increased by 5 points (proving your argument correct) he's still too far behind Draisaitl offensively. Sounds like your argument switched gears at the end and is now reliant on Stone playing the same distribution of minutes if he were on McDavid's wing. Too many what-ifs, too much speculation.

I am not playing the victim card. I said I love sarcasm. How can someone say they love sarcasm while playing the victim card? I would never play the victim card. Anecdotally, I have argued that ad hominems should be used in arguments; it makes it fun. If someone is throwing insults, I know they are engaged. That being said, I probably was not super clear in my previous post, so hopefully, I can be more clear this time.

Sure, Stone has never played with McDavid, but if most players improve playing with McDavid, it stands to reason that it is probably the case that Stone would as well. If most players did not improve playing with Mcdavid, then it would probably not be the case. If it was about even, then it would be maybe. This is not very hard. You need to show the probably is not the case. You have failed to do so.

I'll pull the data on wowy...
Player/ with 97/ overall (so the number would be worse if it was a without)

drait/ 3.35/ 2.45
hopkins/ 3.18/ 1.76
Maroon/ 2.6/ 1.8
Lucic/ 2.3/ 1.19
Kassian/ 2.9/ 1.31
Rattie/ 3.12/ 1.52
Pulj/ 2.59/ 1.08
Cagiula/ 3.96/ 1.34
Hall/ whatever he doesn't improve in a 75 minute sample, but let's assume they played 200 minutes, and there was no improvement

Even if we include the fake 200 minute sample of Hall, 8/9 forwards that played 200 minutes with McDavid over the past two years saw massive spikes in scoring rates, but you seem to think that using one example over a 75 minute sample, where all predictive metrics saw a spike, suggests that it is not probably the case that Stone would improve; it is only a maybe to you. In other words, you think it is 50/50. I think it is at least above a 51% chance that McDavid improves Stone's production rate. Generally, to show an inductive argument as weak, you need to show the probability statement is wrong or too strong. Providing one counter to the many that show X to be true, does not make a probability statement about X incorrect or too strong. For example, If 75% of males own a truck, and Tom is male, Tom probably owns a truck. The fact that you can point to a guy that does not have a truck does nothing to diminish the probability claim. Now, if you found 80% of guys did not have a truck, that would diminish the probability claim.

Let me ask you this. Here is a bet: 5 dollars if Mcdavid does not improve Stone's production, and 5 dollars if he does. Are you indifferent to this bet? In other words, if I was standing in front of you, would you allow me to place your five dollars on either option? If not, at what ratio would you be indifferent? Is it 1/9, 2/8 etc. Whatever your answer is, that is your degree of belief that Stone would see an improvement. For example, I'd be indifferent at about 8.5, so my degree of belief is that there is about an 85% chance that Stone would see an increase in production if he played with Mcdavid in comparison to past/present situations. If I was offered the bet at 1.5/8.5, I would let you place my money on either option. If you are indifferent at 5 dollars on each, then I guess you truly do think that it is a "maybe" and not a "probably". Since we can, potentially, never see these two play together, we can use hypothetical betting ratios, and we can tease out a degree of belief; this is basic decision theory.

Unless I formulated something wrong previously, this is not a circular argument. To be clear, most people do not know what a circular argument is, so I just want to make sure we are on the same page. This is not to be condescending, so to be clear, it occurs when someone asserts what they set out to conclude. In other words, your conclusion is in your premise.
That did not happen here, but just in case it did, I will re-formulate. If I did provide a logically fallacious argument, that is totally my bad. I'm sorry about that.

P1: McDavid is a top offensive player
P2: Stone does not play with a top offensive
P3: Mcdavid improves every forwards scoring rate he has played with at least 200 minutes

C: Therefore, Stone would probably see a spike in production playing alongside McDavid.

The conclusion is not stated anywhere in the premise, and now you can clearly see where I am getting the probably from. Now, if most players did not improve playing with McDavid, I would not make the claim I did. If it was a near 50/50 split or minor changes, I would switch my claim to maybe.

Side note: Also, your five-point increase makes no sense. Even without McDavid, if Stone played equal minutes to Draisaitl, he probably adds another 14 points.
1433.97-1184.82=ES time difference= 249.15/60*2.00 (stone scored at a 2.23 rate, but I'll assume a drop because of fatigue) = about 8.

271.42-192.3= PP time difference = 79.12/60*6 (scored at an actual 6.24 rate) = about 6

8+6 = 14 + your generous 5= 19
Now Stone is at 92 points. 105 vs 92 doesn't seem like a huge gap, especially when one player is a Selke level player, and once we regress Draisaitl's insane 20% shooting to his normal 12-13%, the entire offensive gap, in terms of points, is basically gone. This makes sense to me because if Draisiatl was truly that much of a better player (offensive or otherwise) he would produce better on-ice results than Stone; however, he cannot do that while playing with better teammates on a better team. There is a reason why Stone runs consistently better shot, goal, and expected goal results, both raw and relative, and WAR/GAR models. The simple answer is because Stone is better. The dumb answer is to double down on a single variable

In any event, I know you will not agree with my adjustments, or someone will say "well Draisaitl actually did it" or "Stone would score even less than two points per 60", so keep all your points, forget the what ifs and the speculation.
I'll take the guy who is superior in every metric except points based metrics. You can keep the guy who is worse in everything except points based metrics.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Stone is awesome but gotta go with Draisaitl here.
Still wish K.Gretzky had the balls to trade from Stone at deadline.
Puljujarvi+ 1st + Bear\Russell for Stone might have gotten the Oilers close to\into playoffs.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I remember you Chicago people saying Panarin is nothing without Kane and his point totals will drop

Turns out he improved so I guess Kane was just a worse linemate

The impacts of line mates are massively exaggerated on HF.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The impacts of line mates are massively exaggerated on HF.
The main issue is HF posters get hyper focused on one line mate for a guy and don't look at the 3 other guys on the ice (yes defenceman actually exist and play a significant role in creating offence and spending more time in the offensive end, crazy concept I know). People also love to focus on time spent with that one player while not taking into account the time spent with other players. Lets just say outside of McDavid, there isn't much support that Draisaitl gets offensively outside of RNH on the power play. Sure McDavid is amazing and the best talent in the league, but playing consistently with 4 good players instead of 1 or 2 good offensive players offers a major advantage in its own right.

Any thread involving an Oiler not named McDavid always devolves into this where some posters act like other top line players in the league get absolutely no help from their line mates or dmen.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I take Leon, he's more of a skill player. Stone is great don't get me wrong, but he's like a super talented "low talent" player, whereas Draisaitl is an unreal passer, and with 50 goals he can light the lamp too. Can play center or power forward wing is a big plus too.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
The main issue is HF posters get hyper focused on one line mate for a guy and don't look at the 3 other guys on the ice (yes defenceman actually exist and play a significant role in creating offence and spending more time in the offensive end, crazy concept I know). People also love to focus on time spent with that one player while not taking into account the time spent with other players. Lets just say outside of McDavid, there isn't much support that Draisaitl gets offensively outside of RNH on the power play. Sure McDavid is amazing and the best talent in the league, but playing consistently with 4 good players instead of 1 or 2 good offensive players offers a major advantage in its own right.

Any thread involving an Oiler not named McDavid always devolves into this where some posters act like other top line players in the league get absolutely no help from their line mates or dmen.

I do agree some posters do latch onto to McDavid to bring down Draisaitl; however, to act like no adjustment needs to be made, at least in comparison to Stone, is intellectually dishonest. If we are comparing Drasaitl to Point, then McDavid probably does not matter because Point gets Kucherov. Stone's most common linemate is Ceci. Refusing to make any kind of adjustment is the opposite side of saying Draisaitl would be nothing without McDavid. Oiler fans need to accept that McDavid has a giant positive impact on Draisiatl's stats, and if the player in comparison does not get that benefit, an adjustment needs to be made.

Anyway, you claim the Oilers are so bad that if Draisaitl is not playing with Mcdavid, he is playing with garbage, and that is fair.

Without both of them on the ice, the Oilers had a CF% of 48.48 and an xGF% of 48.00.
Stone QoT CF% 45.96
Stone QoT xGF% 45.54
The Oilers without Draisaitl or McDavid had better numbers than Stone's teammates, and Stone still produces better on ice results than Draisaitl. Even if we do not focus on McDavid, Draisaitl still plays with better players. This is probably due to the fact that Stone plays with a lot of players. Draisiatl has played with 6 skaters over 700 minutes. Stone has not played with a single skater over 650 minutes. Draisaitl has played with 14 skaters over 200 minutes. Stone has done that with 18 skaters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regal

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
I do agree some posters do latch onto to McDavid to bring down Draisaitl; however, to act like no adjustment needs to be made, at least in comparison to Stone, is intellectually dishonest. If we are comparing Drasaitl to Point, then McDavid probably does not matter because Point gets Kucherov. Stone's most common linemate is Ceci. Refusing to make any kind of adjustment is the opposite side of saying Draisaitl would be nothing without McDavid. Oiler fans need to accept that McDavid has a giant positive impact on Draisiatl's stats, and if the player in comparison does not get that benefit, an adjustment needs to be made.

Anyway, you claim the Oilers are so bad that if Draisaitl is not playing with Mcdavid, he is playing with garbage, and that is fair.

Without both of them on the ice, the Oilers had a CF% of 48.48 and an xGF% of 48.00.
Stone QoT CF% 45.96
Stone QoT xGF% 45.54
The Oilers without Draisaitl or McDavid had better numbers than Stone's teammates, and Stone still produces better on ice results than Draisaitl. Even if we do not focus on McDavid, Draisaitl still plays with better players. This is probably due to the fact that Stone plays with a lot of players. Draisiatl has played with 6 skaters over 700 minutes. Stone has not played with a single skater over 650 minutes. Draisaitl has played with 14 skaters over 200 minutes. Stone has done that with 18 skaters.

What a load of nonsense. You are trying so hard to make Stone better than Drasaitl that you would do anything to discount his performance while at the same time trying to boost Stone's. Please show me the McDavid compensation factor in Corsi. Is there one for Crosby, Tavares, and Mackinnon? Surely there must be because you keep saying adjustments must be made.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Stone QoT CF% 45.96
Stone QoT xGF% 45.54

My post had absolutely nothing to do with Stone and rather the rhetoric around here regarding McDavid's impact on anything Oilers. However, sure I'll discuss what you want to discuss.

For starters your most common line mate of Stone is wrong. At 5v5, even strength, and all situations Stone's most common line mate is not Ceci. It's Brady Tkachuk, Colin White, Thomas Chabot, and Cody Ceci in that order. Beyond that his next most common forward line mates were Duchene, Dzingel, Tierney, Stastny, Pacioretty in that order. So, in his time in Ottawa he put up 62P in 59GP (86 point pace) while spending between 40-50% of his even strength minutes with two rookies on pace for ~50P each, and a Dman who was on pace for 60+P. Outside of that he spent about 25% with Duchene, 20% with Dzingel, and 20% with Tierney, or in other words guys who put up 58P in 50GP, 44P in 57GP, and 48P in 81GP while with Ottawa. He's essentially almost always playing with 50P players as his forward linemates while his most common D pairing had 55P in 70GP and 26P in 74GP.

So what your QOT argument accounts for is just how bad the team was overall from a corsi and xGF% perspective (xGF% being a stat indicative of defensive play as well, not just offence). What it doesn't account for is the actual offensive talent that he was playing with. I'll take your word for those stats being right in the first place because I'm too lazy to look them up, but I'm curious how your most common line mate measure is that far off his actual most common line mate.

So yes, Draisaitl benefits from McDavid as any player would. But let's look at the offensive production of Draisaitl's next most common line mates after McDavid (who he spent about 60% of his even strength minutes with). Next most common at even strength in order: Nurse (41%), Larsson (41%), Chiasson (40%), Klefbom (32%), Russell (30%) Kassian (24%), Rieder (19%). So his most common D partners scored 41P and 20P both playing all 82 games. His three most common forward linemates after McDavid scored 38P in 73GP, 26P in 79GP, and 11P in 67GP. Can you really look at those numbers and tell me that your QOT numbers are actually reflective of Draisaitl's most common line mates compared to Stone?

Here's the reality of this comparison. Stone gets nobody even close to McDavid to play with, but every other forward that Stone gets is better than Draisaitl's 2nd best most common line mate (Nuge being the only exception who Draisaitl spent only 11% of his even strength minutes with). Stone also got a much more gifted offensive Dman than Draisaitl has ever seen in his career in Chabot.

So, sure say we are willing to say playing with McDavid for 60% of your even strength minutes (and all of the PP) is more impactful than playing with significantly better players at the 3 other positions on the ice pretty much all the time. How much of an impact on point production do you think that has? Well we could use Patrick Maroon as a case study. Over the past 3 seasons lets look at Maroon's numbers in Edmonton playing significant amount of time with McDavid vs. his time with the Blues playing bottom 6 (I'm excluding his short samples after being traded to Edmonton/NJ because he found some sort of unsustainable scoring both times after being traded). In his time with Edmonton he scored 72P in 138 games (43P/82) and in St Louis he scored 28P in 72GP (31P/82). So he saw an uptick of 12P over 82 in Edmonton playing a lot with McDavid, while getting significantly more ice-time. Similarly, his last 3 seasons in Anaheim where he was also getting far less ice time than in Edmonton he scored 76P in 189GP (33P/82).

Are we sure McDavid (and in Maroon's case Draisaitl as well as he spent a lot of time with the duo) really have that big of an impact on production when the rest of the lineup isn't doing much offensively? Is it enough to account for the difference between 105P in 82GP vs. 73P in 77GP? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayBloodyPurchase

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
My post had absolutely nothing to do with Stone and rather the rhetoric around here regarding McDavid's impact on anything Oilers. However, sure I'll discuss what you want to discuss.

For starters your most common line mate of Stone is wrong. At 5v5, even strength, and all situations Stone's most common line mate is not Ceci. It's Brady Tkachuk, Colin White, Thomas Chabot, and Cody Ceci in that order. Beyond that his next most common forward line mates were Duchene, Dzingel, Tierney, Stastny, Pacioretty in that order. So, in his time in Ottawa he put up 62P in 59GP (86 point pace) while spending between 40-50% of his even strength minutes with two rookies on pace for ~50P each, and a Dman who was on pace for 60+P. Outside of that he spent about 25% with Duchene, 20% with Dzingel, and 20% with Tierney, or in other words guys who put up 58P in 50GP, 44P in 57GP, and 48P in 81GP while with Ottawa. He's essentially almost always playing with 50P players as his forward linemates while his most common D pairing had 55P in 70GP and 26P in 74GP.

So what your QOT argument accounts for is just how bad the team was overall from a corsi and xGF% perspective (xGF% being a stat indicative of defensive play as well, not just offence). What it doesn't account for is the actual offensive talent that he was playing with. I'll take your word for those stats being right in the first place because I'm too lazy to look them up, but I'm curious how your most common line mate measure is that far off his actual most common line mate.

So yes, Draisaitl benefits from McDavid as any player would. But let's look at the offensive production of Draisaitl's next most common line mates after McDavid (who he spent about 60% of his even strength minutes with). Next most common at even strength in order: Nurse (41%), Larsson (41%), Chiasson (40%), Klefbom (32%), Russell (30%) Kassian (24%), Rieder (19%). So his most common D partners scored 41P and 20P both playing all 82 games. His three most common forward linemates after McDavid scored 38P in 73GP, 26P in 79GP, and 11P in 67GP. Can you really look at those numbers and tell me that your QOT numbers are actually reflective of Draisaitl's most common line mates compared to Stone?

Here's the reality of this comparison. Stone gets nobody even close to McDavid to play with, but every other forward that Stone gets is better than Draisaitl's 2nd best most common line mate (Nuge being the only exception who Draisaitl spent only 11% of his even strength minutes with). Stone also got a much more gifted offensive Dman than Draisaitl has ever seen in his career in Chabot.

So, sure say we are willing to say playing with McDavid for 60% of your even strength minutes (and all of the PP) is more impactful than playing with significantly better players at the 3 other positions on the ice pretty much all the time. How much of an impact on point production do you think that has? Well we could use Patrick Maroon as a case study. Over the past 3 seasons lets look at Maroon's numbers in Edmonton playing significant amount of time with McDavid vs. his time with the Blues playing bottom 6 (I'm excluding his short samples after being traded to Edmonton/NJ because he found some sort of unsustainable scoring both times after being traded). In his time with Edmonton he scored 72P in 138 games (43P/82) and in St Louis he scored 28P in 72GP (31P/82). So he saw an uptick of 12P over 82 in Edmonton playing a lot with McDavid, while getting significantly more ice-time. Similarly, his last 3 seasons in Anaheim where he was also getting far less ice time than in Edmonton he scored 76P in 189GP (33P/82).

Are we sure McDavid (and in Maroon's case Draisaitl as well as he spent a lot of time with the duo) really have that big of an impact on production when the rest of the lineup isn't doing much offensively? Is it enough to account for the difference between 105P in 82GP vs. 73P in 77GP? I doubt it.

First, I used a two-year sample size, so no, I was not wrong. This should have been evident when I said Draisaitl played with many players over 700 minutes; however, I should have been more clear, so I will take the blame for that. Also, I appreciate you defending your guy in a coherent manner.

Second, xGF% does take into account both sides of the puck, but even then, Stone produces much better defensive results than Draisaitl. If Stone plays with worse defensive players and still produces much better defensive results, maybe his defensive impact is a lot higher than you think. There has to be a reason why Draisailt trades goals at 5v5, and Stone outscores people 5v5 (over the last two years). This is the drum I keep beating: No adjustments, if Draisaitl is better than Stone, and all his points help produce so many goals, why does he never run better GF% or xGF% or CF% or micro level stats or gar/war numbers? My answer is stats lie, and a single variable (point totals) does not reflect the true ability of these players. For example, this year, Draisiaitl ran a very high shooting percentage, about 7% above his norm. On 140 5v5 shots, that is an extra 10 goals. Getting lucky does not mean you got better, and as such, I do not value Draisiatl as a 50 goal scorer, just like I don't think Kopitar is 90 point player or Kadri is a near ppg player, or Clarkson is a 30 goal scorer, or Eberle is 35 goal scorer. Second, if we give Stone the same amount of minutes, that drops the gap. Playing more minutes does not make you a better player, so that needs to be adjusted for. However, if you adjust, you need to drop the rate, due to fatigue or whatever. In another post I made, using McDavid giving an extra 5 points, the gap dropped to about 10 points without a SH% regression. If Drasiaitl does not get incredibly lucky, plays the same amount of minutes as Stone, and has the same level of teammates, they are probably within 10 points of each other. Over the last two years, they have a 2.42 and 2.45 p/60 minutes at 5v5. The difference in production is almost entirely because Drasiailt played nearly 500 more minutes. The same goes for the PP. Draisaitl has played about an extra 120 minutes on the PP. The issue is people are using point totals as correlates for skill level, but you are refusing to take any context into account whether it is McDavid, ice time, or sh%. if we want to compare players, we need to estimate what would happen IF they played in the exact same situation. This basically what schools do. They never just compare grades straight across. You would never do a raw grade comparison between two students where one got to study more (play more), had easier tests (random variance in your SH%), and better teachers (if you think McDavid is making an impact, all else equal). If the worse situation student got a B+ and the other got an A, you can't just say the A student is better because he had a better grade. You would need to adjust. Getting a benefit from any of those things does not make you a better player, so they need to be accounted for. Once we make those adjustments, it becomes very clear why Stone produces better on ice-results.

Third, look at the wowy with the players you mention. You will see that Stone is dragging players around. This is why not only does he have better raw numbers, he also has better relative numbers. Usually, with comparable players, one is better raw and one is better relative. When a player is better in both, by a fair margin, that should tell you something.

I'll say this again. Forget the adjustments, and the what if's. Stone ACTUALLY produces better on ice results both raw and relative, shots, goals, expected goals, and WAR/GAR models; therefore, I think he is better.
If Draisaitl is better, explain why he does not produce better results, and I'm fine with you saying they play with exactly equal teammates. The only reason I am making adjustments is to try and show the points crowd why looking at a singular variable can be misleading. I do not need any adjustment to make an argument.

Last edited:

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
What a load of nonsense. You are trying so hard to make Stone better than Drasaitl that you would do anything to discount his performance while at the same time trying to boost Stone's. Please show me the McDavid compensation factor in Corsi. Is there one for Crosby, Tavares, and Mackinnon? Surely there must be because you keep saying adjustments must be made.

Saying it is nonsense is a lot different than picking out a premise and displaying why it is wrong.

No adjustment can be made until McDavid runs up in a poll against Kucherov. Then all you will hear is "Kuch only had more points because he was on Tampa" or "McDavid would have 150 on Tampa".

Everyone knows adjustments need to made in basically any comparison as players play in many different situations; however, people bitch, moan and complain when it is their guy getting devalued because of very logical adjustments. Also, in many posts, I have said I do not need any adjustments.

I am not trying to make Draisaitl look bad. Looking at 3 different GAR models, which I think is somewhat fair if you have any belief in subjective Bayesian epistemology, he is a T-20 forward. He ranks 16th, right between Couts and Barkov. I think he is a terrific player, but by those same models, Stone only trails two players: Nikita Kucherov and Connor McDavid.

I think L.D is a great player, terrific, a great deal at 8.5, but he does not have the same impact on the game as Stone, and that is shown by every macro stat we have available. Stone has NEVER been outscored at 5v5 over a season, not once. For example, Stone has never had GF% lower than 51% over a full season. Draisaitl only has GF of over 51% 2/4 times. In other words, Stone always seems to outscore his opposition, and Drasiaitl does it sometimes; his last two years were 49.17 and 50.34, both worse than any of Stone's year, and Stone has better relative numbers, so you cannot even appeal to playing on a bad team. Stone was running a 57% goal rate on the f***ing Ottawa Senators, then he went to 60% playing on Vegas. Think about that; this guy was on the worst team in the league, and he still destroyed everyone he played against.

This year at 5v5:
Connor McDavid + Leon Draisiatl GF% 56.44
Mark Stone GF% (if I did my math right) GF% 57.85

Last edited:

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
A mod can delete this. I accidentally quoted myself while trying to edit.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Saying it is nonsense is a lot different than picking out a premise and displaying why it is wrong.

No adjustment can be made until McDavid runs up in a poll against Kucherov. Then all you will hear is "Kuch only had more points because he was on Tampa" or "McDavid would have 150 on Tampa".

Everyone knows adjustments need to made in basically any comparison as players play in many different situations; however, people *****, moan and complain when it is their guy getting devalued because of very logical adjustments. Also, in many posts, I have said I do not need any adjustments.

I am not trying to make Draisaitl look bad. Looking at 3 different GAR models, which I think is somewhat fair if you have any belief in subjective Bayesian epistemology, he is a T-20 forward. He ranks 16th, right between Couts and Barkov. I think he is a terrific player, but by those same models, Stone only trails two players: Nikita Kucherov and Connor McDavid.

I think L.D is a great player, terrific, a great deal at 8.5, but he does not have the same impact on the game as Stone, and that is shown by every macro stat we have available. Stone has NEVER been outscored at 5v5 over a season, not once. For example, Stone has never had GF% lower than 51% over a full season. Draisaitl only has GF of over 51% 2/4 times. In other words, Stone always seems to outscore his opposition, and Drasiaitl does it sometimes; his last two years were 49.17 and 50.34, both worse than any of Stone's year, and Stone has better relative numbers, so you cannot even appeal to playing on a bad team. Stone was running a 57% goal rate on the ****ing Ottawa Senators, then he went to 60% playing on Vegas. Think about that; this guy was on the worst team in the league, and he still destroyed everyone he played against.

This year at 5v5:
Connor McDavid + Leon Draisiatl GF% 56.44
Mark Stone GF% (if I did my math right) GF% 57.85

Eye test has been proving this for years just no one ever watches the sens and if they do they dont get any credit.

Too bad the GM and owner were too dumb to recognize either.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Stone.
I can put him on any line and know that I'm getting a PPG winger who will be a takeaway machine, shot generating machine and defensively sound.

Draisaitl, I can't take him away from his Batman, or I know his production will be severely impacted.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Stone.
I can put him on any line and know that I'm getting a PPG winger who will be a takeaway machine, shot generating machine and defensively sound.

Draisaitl, I can't take him away from his Batman, or I know his production will be severely impacted.

Just like doing pullups impacted Sam 'Gilmour 2.0' Bennett eh?

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
If Drai was Canadian this thread would get shit on and wouldve been closed for loopsided result in his favor way back.

Career high 73p VS 105p. If Stones was by far The best defensive foward ever, maybe you could have a debate. This is not close at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad