Value of: Mark Scheifele

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Only a matter of time till Jets fans were doing the Shef > McDavid.

At least they waited for a few days after they were nearly swept.
Only a matter of time until Jets haters came out of the woodwork to make ridiculous statements about things that were never said. Convenient that they waited until the team wasn’t one of the 4 final NHL teams playing to begin to bash the team

Reactions: Pongs21

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Only a matter of time till Jets fans were doing the Shef > McDavid.

At least they waited for a few days after they were nearly swept.
McDavid is the superior player there's no question about that. It's Schiefele's contract which significantly closes the gap with regards to overall value.

Reactions: libertarian

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
My center won art Ross last two seasons tee hee.

And cost you twice as much starting next season without being twice as good as Scheifele. I love McD and believe he will probably be considered better then Crosby ever was but he is not worth 2 Scheifele's. I would not trade Scheifele for McD because it takes a good team to win the Cup and Scheifele contract and overall attitude to be the best he can be makes this much more likely then having McD making 12.5m a year does.

Scheifele is untouchable. Much rather my team win the Cup then having bragging rights that my team has the best player.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I'm not saying he isn't "any good"

It's just pure insanity so say his value is anywhere near McDavid.

Chevy would trade Scheifele++ for McDavid in an absolute heartbeat

In a hockey world without a cap you are right. In the cap world you are wrong. Having the best player does not guarantee team success which the Oilers prove in 2017/18.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Ehlers isn't a good example though because you could dump guys like little, perreault, Myers long before thinking about moving ehlers. Even if you used Ehlers, Mcdavid has already shown that he can make just about anyone produce at a high level when playing with him. Even your maroon example still outproduces ehlers+scheif for basically the same amount and you can get that production without using Mcdavids winger on the top PP. That means more skilled guys aren't losing PP minutes and production in that combined cap hit.

With Scheifele's contract you don't have to dump those players that help the team be better. That is the point.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
With Scheifele's contract you don't have to dump those players that help the team be better. That is the point.
Yes you will though. Guys like Myers and Perreault aren't going to fit under the cap once Wheeler, Laine and Connor get new contracts, and thats ok because they aren't important pieces and are pieces you should be replacing internally through prospect development.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
And cost you twice as much starting next season without being twice as good as Scheifele. I love McD and believe he will probably be considered better then Crosby ever was but he is not worth 2 Scheifele's. I would not trade Scheifele for McD because it takes a good team to win the Cup and Scheifele contract and overall attitude to be the best he can be makes this much more likely then having McD making 12.5m a year does.

Scheifele is untouchable. Much rather my team win the Cup then having bragging rights that my team has the best player.
Ok, but there's a major flaw in this argument. You don't have 2 Scheifele's so you can't somehow equate 1 Scheifele to having 2. Yes you get the extra cap space, but you don't fill that with a player as good as Scheifele, you fill that space with players like Perreault and Myers instead of players like Benning or Caggiula. Yes, that adds value, but think of it this way. McDavid could play with 2 players making under 2M and still outproduce Scheifele, aka create more goals. Now, those players would likely not be contributing on your power play, but there's only so much PP time to go around to your highly paid players so you're not wasting PP scoring by having McDavid at an extra 6M. You are however able to score more goals at even strength without having to have guys like Wheeler and Connor on the wing who will easily be making 14M combined on their next deals.

Its nice to think of it as simple as 2 Scheifeles vs 1 McDavid, but that doesn't actually exist in reality. Having a player who can be involved in 100+ goals in a season without having to feed him highly skilled wingers is quite easily worth the extra dollars.

Additionally, even if you want to put a higher paid winger on McDavid's line which is sometimes the case, you're still saving that extra 5 or 6M by being able to throw a cheap guy on the other wing like they have for the entirety of McDavid's NHL career.

Reactions: CarlWising

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
McDavid > Scheifele, of course he is.

But $6.1 million > $12.5 million.

In a salary cap world, I’d take Scheifele and Stastny over McDavid for roughly the same cost.

Superstars kill budgets.

How about we not criminalise the best players for being paid what they're worth. Why not instead blame the GMs for handing out bloated contracts to ineffectual players?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Ok, but there's a major flaw in this argument. You don't have 2 Scheifele's so you can't somehow equate 1 Scheifele to having 2. Yes you get the extra cap space, but you don't fill that with a player as good as Scheifele, you fill that space with players like Perreault and Myers instead of players like Benning or Caggiula. Yes, that adds value, but think of it this way. McDavid could play with 2 players making under 2M and still outproduce Scheifele, aka create more goals. Now, those players would likely not be contributing on your power play, but there's only so much PP time to go around to your highly paid players so you're not wasting PP scoring by having McDavid at an extra 6M. You are however able to score more goals at even strength without having to have guys like Wheeler and Connor on the wing who will easily be making 14M combined on their next deals.

Its nice to think of it as simple as 2 Scheifeles vs 1 McDavid, but that doesn't actually exist in reality. Having a player who can be involved in 100+ goals in a season without having to feed him highly skilled wingers is quite easily worth the extra dollars.

Additionally, even if you want to put a higher paid winger on McDavid's line which is sometimes the case, you're still saving that extra 5 or 6M by being able to throw a cheap guy on the other wing like they have for the entirety of McDavid's NHL career.
So you want to say a Scheifele and an Ehlers? Do you want to say you have the luxury of a Tyler Myers as your 3rd RD? A Perreault on your 3rd line? Or the Jets 1st line is less money than McDavid alone and yes they out score McDavid’s line. Etc etc etc.

You want to say McDavid can carry 2 3rd liners like a Maroon but that’s false. Sure you can have one but you still need a $6 million RNH or a $8.5 million Draisaitl to help him.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So you want to say a Scheifele and an Ehlers? Do you want to say you have the luxury of a Tyler Myers as your 3rd RD? A Perreault on your 3rd line? Or the Jets 1st line is less money than McDavid alone and yes they out score McDavid’s line. Etc etc etc.

You want to say McDavid can carry 2 3rd liners like a Maroon but that’s false. Sure you can have one but you still need a $6 million RNH or a $8.5 million Draisaitl to help him.
No because you can still afford an Ehlers with McDavid's contract. The Oilers GM is just a moron who spent that money on a Lucic. Yes I'd rather have an RNH-McDavid-Rattie for example than a Wheeler-Scheifele-Connor line at evens because McDavid still produces more goals at even strength than that line. If I didn't have other skilled players for the PP then yeah I'd prefer the Jets trio, but as it stands now McDavid produced 84 goals at evens, how many did that line produce at evens? Now consider that line will likely be making more money than McDavid's line when contracts are up and you see why McDavid's more valuable even at 12.5M. The extra 6M shouldn't change much for team power play scoring if you have the talent, which you can still afford with McDavid's contract. Unfortunately the teams PP was an absolute mess last year, in large part due to coaching, but also in large part due to a PP Dman. McDavid's contract doesn't prevent the team from having a PP Dman, the teams horrible drafting in previous years and poor asset management has prevented that.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
We may find out that Mark Scheifele's contract is the most team-friendly contract in the history of the NHL. After setting a road record for playoff goals (and likely breaking the overall record if his team advanced to the final), this point-per game player is on the cusp of the next big step. Don't be surprised to see him consistently among the top three point producers in the league for the next several years.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
McDavid is significantly better than any other player in the league, but the cap hit difference of 6.375 between him and Scheifele at least allows one to have a case in regards to which one is actually better for a team to have. The thing is, claiming that McDavids and Kanes cause cap problems is often quite far from the truth, for it is the middle range guys who cause the bulk of the issues. See: Lucic, Milan.

Also, smart management might just be the best asset any team could ever ask for.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not criminalizing at all. Just stating that two very good players are likely better than one superstar in the cap world.
But what if those players play together and don't actually outproduce the offence that McDavid brings with a b level replacement alternative? Because that's the reality. McDavid is involved in more goals playing with players like Maroon, Rattie, or Caggiula on one of his wings than Scheifele is playing with guys like Kyle Connor who will make up the salary difference once his ELC ends.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sick.

Scheifele is not up for discussion, regardless of what is offered.

This^.
For past couple of years as he has developed, extensive interest in Sch. but remains almost impossible to envision a package that delivers him.

He's not elite, but he is clearly premium and it would be more than hurt to acquire. Would be extreme wince at minimum.

Nov 24, 2006
But what if those players play together and don't actually outproduce the offence that McDavid brings with a b level replacement alternative? Because that's the reality. McDavid is involved in more goals playing with players like Maroon, Rattie, or Caggiula on one of his wings than Scheifele is playing with guys like Kyle Connor who will make up the salary difference once his ELC ends.
Okay, but what if one of those teams had the second best record in the NHL, and made it to the Western Conference Final, and the other one didn't make the playoffs?

It's really only the NBA where a single player can literally lead a team to a championship. so I would take two very good assets over one great one any day. Just my opinion though. McDavid is still incredible.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
No because you can still afford an Ehlers with McDavid's contract. The Oilers GM is just a moron who spent that money on a Lucic. Yes I'd rather have an RNH-McDavid-Rattie for example than a Wheeler-Scheifele-Connor line at evens because McDavid still produces more goals at even strength than that line. If I didn't have other skilled players for the PP then yeah I'd prefer the Jets trio, but as it stands now McDavid produced 84 goals at evens, how many did that line produce at evens? Now consider that line will likely be making more money than McDavid's line when contracts are up and you see why McDavid's more valuable even at 12.5M. The extra 6M shouldn't change much for team power play scoring if you have the talent, which you can still afford with McDavid's contract. Unfortunately the teams PP was an absolute mess last year, in large part due to coaching, but also in large part due to a PP Dman. McDavid's contract doesn't prevent the team from having a PP Dman, the teams horrible drafting in previous years and poor asset management has prevented that.
PP goals don’t count, having cap space that allows you to either have another high end player or more depth doesn’t matter, who cares what their salaries are because they will be worth more in 2 YEARS, excuses about a Oiler PP. Got it. That is some incredible mental gymnastics to arrive at your conclusion.

Reactions: Flyerfan52
Nov 24, 2006

But I gave you a very similar example. McDavid vs Scheifele and Stastny. The $ cost was about the same. This happened this past year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
But I gave you a very similar example. McDavid vs Scheifele and Stastny. This happened this past year.
Well not really a good example given that Stastny's cap his did not come at full value because he was acquired at the trade deadline. But for arguments sake lets say Stastny on a different line, sure. So by taking on his money you lose one of Scheifele's wingers that is/will be making 6M and replace them with a 900k AHL tweeter like Rattie. Do you think that Scheifele scores the same with a winger like that? I sincerely doubt it.
Okay, but what if one of those teams had the second best record in the NHL, and made it to the Western Conference Final, and the other one didn't make the playoffs?

It's really only the NBA where a single player can literally lead a team to a championship. so I would take two very good assets over one great one any day. Just my opinion though. McDavid is still incredible.
This argument is a fallacy though considering that McDavid was still on his ELC this past season. Jets success has everything to do with good drafting and management choices, while the Oilers failures this year have everything to do with poor drafting and management choices, not McDavid's salary.

Nov 24, 2006
Well not really a good example given that Stastny's cap his did not come at full value because he was acquired at the trade deadline. But for arguments sake lets say Stastny on a different line, sure. So by taking on his money you lose one of Scheifele's wingers that is/will be making 6M and replace them with a 900k AHL tweeter like Rattie. Do you think that Scheifele scores the same with a winger like that? I sincerely doubt it.
I think it's a perfect example.

Team A has a choice on where to spend ~ $12 million in a total salary cap of $75 million. They could spend it all on McDavid, or they could spend it on Scheifele and Stastny. It really doesn't have anything to do with who's wingers are playing with who and at what cost. The question to me is, would you spread that ~$12 million over two very good centres, or one incredible centre?

I know my answer, and you know yours. Neither is wrong, but I would always take two very good lines in the NHL over one.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There's only a handful of players in the NHL with more value than him atm.

McDavid is an easy one
Crosby too (debatable with age depending on team needs maybe)

Few other centers have high value too, such as Matthews.

Dahlin, maybe.

Don't see Jets trading him though, absolute no reason to

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
PP goals don’t count, having cap space that allows you to either have another high end player or more depth doesn’t matter, who cares what their salaries are because they will be worth more in 2 YEARS, excuses about a Oiler PP. Got it. That is some incredible mental gymnastics to arrive at your conclusion.
Well power play goals have nothing to do with this argument because 6M in cap space isn't what is preventing the Oilers from having a good PP. They had the personnel to be 5th in the league on the PP in 2016-17. If the Oilers lacked the money to actually ice a good group of players on the PP due to McDavid's contract then you'd have a point. Thats not a restriction though, the restriction is poor contracts to other players, and poor management/drafting to find a) a good PP coach, and b) a good PP dman. McDavid's extra 6M doesn't stop Edmonton from having a good PP. It also can't be an excuse about the Oilers PP because McDavid hasn't played a single season yet making 12.5M.

There's no mental gymnastics. The reality is that you can either have a Wheeler-Scheifele-Connor line or you can have a Nuge-McDavid-Rattie line making similar money once Connor is off his ELC. The McDavid line will produce more goals, just like I suspect the Scheifele line would produce even less than they already do if you spent that 6M on another line and gave Scheifele an AHL tweener type on his other wing. In order for the Jets to make that up on the PP, then their 6M player would need to be producing close to 20 goals on the PP above whatever player the Oilers throw on their PP instead to make up the difference McDavid provides at evens.

If the Oilers PP continues to be awful in the coming years then you may have a point. But you'd also have to look through the lineup first and see if there are bad contracts taking up cap space, or if all the contracts are good and the extra 6M from McDavid is the limiting factor. Its not McDavid's fault that the Jets have better management that limit bad contracts like Lucic, Russell, Benoit Pouliot (buyout), and the list goes on.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it's a perfect example.

Team A has a choice on where to spend ~ $12 million in a total salary cap of $75 million. They could spend it all on McDavid, or they could spend it on Scheifele and Stastny. It really doesn't have anything to do with who's wingers are playing with who and at what cost. The question to me is, would you spread that ~$12 million over two very good centres, or one incredible centre?

I know my answer, and you know yours. Neither is wrong, but I would always take two very good lines in the NHL over one.
But your stance implies that the Oilers aren't able to ice a good 2nd line due to McDavid's contract which is entirely false. I've already laid out how you can spend less on wingers on McDavid's line and still have superior results from that line to cover the difference in salary. Do you think Scheifele could yield similar results as he is right now if you swapped Wheeler for Rattie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad