Mark Scheifele (Part II)

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Hull's best goal scoring seasons were from 1989-90 to 1991-92. Each year, Hull managed to score over 70 goals. Oates was always the set up man. Zezel was not even part of the Blues organization after the 89-90 season.

Zezel was his centre in 89-90 I stand corrected on the next 2 years though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oates may have been a terrible head coach but why does that disqualify him from being an individual skills coach?

It doesn't, but crediting him with Scheifele's development and dismissing the role Maurice might have played is a bit simplistic. Scheifele really took off when he started playing consistently with Wheeler in a first line role. I doubt his skills improved that much between December and now, but his usage and approach to the game have.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It doesn't, but crediting him with Scheifele's development and dismissing the role Maurice might have played is a bit simplistic. Scheifele really took off when he started playing consistently with Wheeler in a first line role. I doubt his skills improved that much between December and now, but his usage and approach to the game have.

If Scheifele feels he's getting good value for his $ from Oates then that's really all that matters. I'm sure many other people have played a role in Marks development as well.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What's the big fuss with Oates? Here's one for ya.....why does each team have goalie coaches who can make them better or worse, but they don't have skill coaches? No offense to Vincent or Huddy but I don't think they could coach up a young offensive guy on certain offensive skill things like face offs, where their hands should be on stick in certain situations, etc. I think it only makes sense, this game is too system oriented, hire more coaches who can help guys develop in certain skill areas.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I wasn't claiming any of that. And I don't want Oates hired.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wasn't claiming any of that. And I don't want Oates hired.

He might be fine as a skills coach, but my view is that Scheifele's progression isn't necessarily a huge credit to him, as some have claimed.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Oates may have been a terrible head coach but why does that disqualify him from being an individual skills coach?

Just call me skeptical, but I remember a lot of the issues with him in Washington was with some of the advice he was giving players. People blamed him for making players try to play a game not befitting of their strengths and more along the lines of what he envisioned for his team.

Maybe he's learned, maybe he isn't... But the Cap fans I know and respect their opinion do not respect him at all.

I also say head coach is probably more transferable than player to skills coach.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
No. I was around then. But I'm talking about Oates the coach, not Oates the player. While Oates the player had a positive impact on everyone, we can look at Washington and see how Oates the Coach had a negative impact on most everyone.

Gretzky was an amazing player and many noted him being one of the worst coaches they ever played under.

Same was said about The Rocket. On the other hand Toe Blake was a great player and maybe the best coach ever.
Washington was a coach's graveyard before Barry. Anyhow I was arguing his impact on 55. As a skills coach he could have an impact on our other offensive players. PP, PK, Faceoffs all suck and could use a guy like him.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand

Maurice got him to 3rd overall in scoring since Allstar break but can't get the PP out of 30th. Right, 555
(The Thai word for 5 is pronounced ha)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just call me skeptical, but I remember a lot of the issues with him in Washington was with some of the advice he was giving players. People blamed him for making players try to play a game not befitting of their strengths and more along the lines of what he envisioned for his team.

Maybe he's learned, maybe he isn't... But the Cap fans I know and respect their opinion do not respect him at all.

I also say head coach is probably more transferable than player to skills coach.

I read that Yeo had a problem with Oates relationship with a couple of his players and it created tension. I don't get the sense any of this Oates stuff is against the Jets wishes, but that's just a guess on my part.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice got him to 3rd overall in scoring since Allstar break but can't get the PP out of 30th. Right, 555
(The Thai word for 5 is pronounced ha)

You think Oates' skills coaching all of a sudden put Scheifele on a tear since the All-Star break? 555

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
All 3 are quite different and you can't generalize. A great player does not make a great coach, but there is no reason to think a bad coach could not be a great skills coach. I wouldn't carry a bias about Oates' coaching ability into the discussion.
You think Oates' skills coaching all of a sudden put Scheifele on a tear since the All-Star break? 555
It's not so much about Oates as about the fit between him and Scheifele. IMO, if Scheifele becomes great it will be less about innate skill and more because of his dedication to his craft and his ability to learn from others--including Roberts, Oates, Maurice, Wheeler...the list is long because Scheif is an open and willing learner.
I wouldn't minimize Oates' role in the overall scheme of things, but it's always as much about the student as the teacher.

DHHJ

Dec 11, 2014
Mark Scheifele

Does anyone know who the agent is for Mark Scheifele? Thanks for any help!

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I sure as hell wish mark would have saved this leap forward until after we had him signed long term.....His bank has gone through the roof now

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I sure as hell wish mark would have saved this leap forward until after we had him signed long term.....His bank has gone through the roof now

Chevy needs to be careful with this signing, I am confident that Schiefele is atleast a 55 point player, I am not 100% sure he is player who can put up 70 points year after year, he may or maynot be, samples size is too small to say for sure. Chevy needs to be careful and be sure before he pays Scheifele like a 70 point player and gives him Tarasenko money

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I think this guy is pretty much a lock for captain unless they draft Matthews and give it to Wheeler for a few years. Second choice would be Myers

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Chevy needs to be careful with this signing, I am confident that Schiefele is atleast a 55 point player, I am not 100% sure he is player who can put up 70 points year after year, he may or maynot be, samples size is too small to say for sure. Chevy needs to be careful and be sure before he pays Scheifele like a 70 point player and gives him Tarasenko money

A player like Schief has to be worth that much to a team and market like WPG. He is AS important to WPG as Tarasenko is to StLoo.

Just pay the guy already. The message that sends will ring loudly within the dressing room and echo off the walls of the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad