Prospect Info: Mark McNeill, the (Re-)Forgotten Man

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
With Motte out and the hit that Hinostroza took last night, if he misses significant time, the Hawks will be in a position to bring someone up and McNeill has to be on the short list.
The only other guy that has played well in Rockford is Spencer Abbott.

Oh yeah, there is some Mashinter guy that got a hat trick the other night.
Nvm - I answered my own question.

Please, God, no. Unless he looks like 5 times the player he was last year... I don't want him anywhere near the Hawks lineup. Period. Should be McNeill that comes up for his last chance at cracking the Hawks roster.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Maybe his spirit was broken. Not an excuse just maybe an explanation.

Definitely. Not nearly the same player he was last season even in effort from the few games I've seen. (Although to be fair, I can name a couple of other guys who have fallen off in their play as well. A bad team overall doesn't help either)

I mean the Hawks essentially gave up on him by waiving him. Like Beach, noone wanted him. And I'm sure like Beach, he will be playing overseas in the not too distant future.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I can't call him a bust considering where he was picked..... Absolutely he would be if he was a top 10 pick.

He was 18th overall pick in draft and has played 1 NHL game and looks like he will struggle to play another NHL game at this point (No NHL teams wanted him when he was on waivers for free)

He is a bust ,, A 1st rounder especially mid round pick who performs as he has is a bust

Just because he wasn't a top 10 selection doesn't change that

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
He was 18th overall pick in draft and has played 1 NHL game and looks like he will struggle to play another NHL game at this point (No NHL teams wanted him when he was on waivers for free)

He is a bust ,, A 1st rounder especially mid round pick who performs as he has is a bust

I think it does, because outside of the first round there are usually a few players (if not more) that never make the NHL or only end up playing a few games...

You know who was a bust? Kyle Beach.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Look at the 2011 first round and who crapped out...

11th overall Duncan Siemens 1GP
18th overall Mark McNeill 1GP
21st overall Stefan Noesen 21GP
22nd overall Tyler Biggs 0GP
25th overall Stuart Percy 22GP
28th overall Zack Phillips 0GP

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
I dont understand the love for a guy who has played 1 NHL game and was on waivers and NO team in the NHL claimed him

Sux that the Hawks wasted a 1st round pick

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What defines a bust exactly?

Is Jack Skille a bust? 350+ NHL games and he has not carved a role out as a speed/energy type 4th liner.

Beech is a bust for sure.

McNeil looks like he had his spirit broken this year by not making the team. Would he be better than Desi or Tootoo? Is he a bust if he ends up playing 300 games in another organization as a 4th line grinder who is solid around the net?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What defines a bust exactly?

Is Jack Skille a bust? 350+ NHL games and he has not carved a role out as a speed/energy type 4th liner.

Beech is a bust for sure.

McNeil looks like he had his spirit broken this year by not making the team. Would he be better than Desi or Tootoo? Is he a bust if he ends up playing 300 games in another organization as a 4th line grinder who is solid around the net?

He went unclaimed on waivers to start year so debatable if he's even valued by other orgs at this point. Probably safe to say the pick is approaching bust territory.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
We need to let him walk after this year. Although I am hoping that he is traded at the deadline just so I can watch other people play instead of him

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He's a UFA after season, no? Can't imagine he will resign with Hawks even if they offered. It just isn't working out for him here.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

For me, there is a pretty massive difference between being a massive bust, and a bust. McNeil is barely a bust, considering he was picked in the last half of the 1st round.

A massive bust is a top 5 guy not making the NHL, a sure bust is a top 15 guy not making the NHL.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Maybe his spirit was broken. Not an excuse just maybe an explanation.

Can't help but think this has something to do with it. I think the Hawks organization strung him along. They should have given him his walking card two years ago, so he could latch onto another organization while still reasonably young.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
It took Panik until he was 25 to find an organization that would put him in a position to succeed. Still a small chance McNeil finds a niche somewhere. Have to imagine there is not much interest in him around the league as I don't think Bowman would bury someone in the minors for that long if he knew he wouldn't have a future in the organization. Bad business and bad asset utilization.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
The real problem (for McNeill) is that the Hawks just drafted better versions of him, and got better versions of him via trade.....

Hartman basically made McNeill redundant.

I'm sure some NHL team will sign him to a 2-way contract this summer or he will get a job in Europe somewhere....

The guy is still pretty young so you never know.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
The real problem (for McNeill) is that the Hawks just drafted better versions of him, and got better versions of him via trade.....

Hartman basically made McNeill redundant.

I'm sure some NHL team will sign him to a 2-way contract this summer or he will get a job in Europe somewhere....

The guy is still pretty young so you never know.

I am always baffled by these types of comments/arguments. So if the team had another Hartman on the ice that would not benefit the team? Shmaltz does not replace TT and Hartman does not replace McNeil, it would actually be nice to have both TT and another Hartman on the team right about now and would make the team much STRONGER and thus they would not be REDUNDANT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad