Prospect Info: Mark McNeill, the (Re-)Forgotten Man

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
4th? Good for him. He'll definitely be a nice, big presence on the team next year. My personal pick to replace Bickell (in terms of physicality and play, not position).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would have been bothered cause getting 6 minutes a night will hurt his development IMO

A guy like Ross/Nordstrom can play 6 minutes and be fine, Of course we are stuck with Regin/Morin instead

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
And of course when eventually McNeill gets his chance in the show,Q will Rhine him...because he will teach McNeill that if he wants to be on the Hawks : 1. He cannot score a lot because that would show up the 2 "superstar " $10.5 million guys and besides if he scored a lot we would have to pay big bucks to him too and that eventually will be a can problem.. 2.He cannot be allowed to score because that would show up the other "stars" on the team who like the 2 superstars fail to score enough compared to all the other leading scorersnof.other teams.who seem to have little trouble scoring...3.He cannot be allowed to have a high shooting% because that would show up everyone else.on the team and certainly is un-Blackhawk-like...and 4. He cannot be allowed to get3 or more shots a game because that would embarrass the 2 guys we will give $10.5 million each starting next year and would obviously be seen as trying to score and "work" which apparently the 2 supermillionarios find too boring to attempt very often..so Q will definitely ruin him and instead teach him that if you want to be a Blackjack player you gotta Fail as a scorer except for the occasional one or two goal game. ..but the marketing dept. Will still fabricate greatness myths forhim in the wonderful Q Country Club.. Q will remove all ability to get pure shot goals unless you are within a foot of the net...so if McNeill has a pro shot...be assured Q will soon make him unable to beat oalie with it..Only 5-6% shooters will be tolerated and if you still manage to be better than that you must reduce your shot attempts to compensate..

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Man, McNeill to me is like finding a $20 in my winter coat pocket. I didn't expect anything more than a bottom 6er and now he could be more than that.

Hockey is crazy. Preseason would anyone have bet that TVR would be playing meaningful minutes, a journeyman named Scott Darling would push to be our 2nd goalie and McNeill was outplaying Teravainen?

Nothingman*

I was hoping it would be him instead of Regin. Q loves his vets though and I guess Regin was playing well.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Icehogs are stacked which is a good thing because the hawks will need the cap relief the next few years.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Icehogs are stacked which is a good thing because the hawks will need the cap relief the next few years.

Absolutely. As I literally just said in another topic regarding the upcoming salary cap crunch....

A few guys will need to be dealt and we'd have to rely on Teravainen, McNeill, Danault, Johns, Clendening, and Pokka being NHL ready and cheap for a few years (TVR as well, but he'll obviously have a year, or part of a year, up on them).

McNeill seems to have taken a step forward as of late, which is a very, very good thing for our prospects next year and beyond.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I was never a fan of drafting McNeill. I have to admit, I'm more optimistic now than ever about him. Hopefully I was wrong and in a big way.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The whole Rockford team have taken strong steps forward. The only guys on the team last year that hasn't been better this year than last is Broadhurst.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I was never a fan of drafting McNeill. I have to admit, I'm more optimistic now than ever about him. Hopefully I was wrong and in a big way.
Hindsight is 20/20 but there aren't a lot of guys taken behind McNeill that are that much better. Boone Jenner and Jurco, I guess. Saad is the big one and he is ours.

That draft is looking unreal.

Saad
Shaw
Clendening
McNeill
Danault
Dahlbeck
Paliotta

Might be 7 NHLers in that draft, just hit after hit for Stan in his first true draft. A good draft is 2 MAYBE 3.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
McNeill is looking really good right now. His skating has really improved. My only knock on him is he looks nowhere near as big as he's listed. Every time I watch him I'm surprised how small he looks, which makes me a little concerned about him being a power forward in the NHL.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
if even 1 of danault or mcneil contribute anything of substance at the NHL level, that's a GREAT draft.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
McNeill is looking really good right now. His skating has really improved. My only knock on him is he looks nowhere near as big as he's listed. Every time I watch him I'm surprised how small he looks, which makes me a little concerned about him being a power forward in the NHL.

Couldn't care less if he fits the PWF 'prototype build'. As long as he's an effective two-way player who can skate, play with skill and bring it every night, I'm fine with that. It's not like Shaw is anywhere near PWF size and he plays the biggest out of anybody in the lineup. That pure size stuff matters less than heart and a desire to play physical, in my opinion, as seen by many of our big players in the past including Buff, Bick, Hayes, etc.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Couldn't care less if he fits the PWF 'prototype build'. As long as he's an effective two-way player who can skate, play with skill and bring it every night, I'm fine with that. It's not like Shaw is anywhere near PWF size and he plays the biggest out of anybody in the lineup. That pure size stuff matters less than heart and a desire to play physical, in my opinion, as seen by many of our big players in the past including Buff, Bick, Hayes, etc.

The trick is to find character players with good size. Hawks are lacking that right now, and admit or not, it is a weakness. Especially so in the marathon NHL season, size (with character) matters down the stretch, and in the playoffs even more. Every scout will tell you that size, and the ability to use that size, is a significant consideration when evaluating players. Queue the sceptical.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
[/B]

The trick is to find character players with good size. Hawks are lacking that right now, and admit or not, it is a weakness. Especially so in the marathon NHL season, size (with character) matters down the stretch, and in the playoffs even more. Every scout will tell you that size, and the ability to use that size, is a significant consideration when evaluating players. Queue the sceptical.

No, size doesn't really matter.
Even if it did, the Hawks are right in the middle of the pack.
These numbers are from 2013-14, but Chicago has almost exactly the same roster as last year so I don't imagine very much has changed: http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/10/2013-14-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
[/B]

Yea we should look to find a guy with high character... Like maybe a Notre Dame graduate... With size... Maybe 6'3 230... Maybe this mythical guy could have been a viral video star for destroying opponents with hits throughout his career?... I donno, I'm sure that guy doesn't exist.

Edit: wait! I've got it, scrap the dream player I just described, what if instead the guy came from Yale, was 4 years younger and played wing? Ridiculous... I know.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad