Injury Report: Mark Giordano, torn bicep.UPDATE 3: Basically 100%

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I see no reason to be optimistic, not with how Hartley manages ice-time. Brodie, Wideman and Russell at close to 30 minutes a night can only last for so long.

I am crossing my fingers that Schlemko can at least decrease some of that time. Won't be too hopeful though, he was only a 5/6/7 on the Coyotes.

However, he was a 5/6 on a stacked Coyotes defense. This could possibly be another "Russell" occurring, where when given the opportunity, he excels.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I am crossing my fingers that Schlemko can at least decrease some of that time. Won't be too hopeful though, he was only a 5/6/7 on the Coyotes.

However, he was a 5/6 on a stacked Coyotes defense. This could possibly be another "Russell" occurring, where when given the opportunity, he excels.

His past few seasons he's been playing anywhere between 15 and 20 minutes. Not too shabby.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

I suspect his 15-20 minutes is a lot like Butler's 20 minutes with Buffalo. They can play that long but it won't be pretty.

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
I guess my support won't mean much to you, but you were my "bandwagon team" in the west. I can't imagine how you guys are feeling right now. Hopefully you'll be back next year. I am still mad at you for drafting Poirier so early.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Sorry guys, I know how badly this must hurt. I'm a life-long Canucks fan that recently moved to Calgary and was excited to see this city get jacked up for a well-deserved playoff run. It's even more disappointing when you consider the career year Gio was having and how involved he is with the community, definitely hard not to root for the guy.

Hopefully at the very least this team can keep the wheels on the bus and get the young guys some valuable playoff experience. The future is still very bright for Calgary, I'm looking forward to having a few beers in the belt line and enjoying a lengthy Flames playoff run next year.

Aug 21, 2014
Can't believe Roger Millions said that with a straight face. Flame will have to look at Corey Potter and Schlemko to help head the load. :laugh:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I've seen a couple people on CP spell Monahan like you did... I don't get it? :laugh:

Must have been autocorrect, I wouldn't have spelled it that way.

Completely sucks Gio is down. Though it does make slipping in the draft seem more likely and makes guys like Hanifin, Provorov and Kylington VERY attainable.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Might seem harsh...but the best part about this injury is that Giordano is actually being acknowledged. I mean he was acknowledged already but now more people are realizing how important he was to the team and that he is actually good and not some fluke. They made it breaking news on Tradecentre, at the beginning of the season it wouldn't have happened. Just would have mentioned he was out and his injury hurts the team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Might seem harsh...but the best part about this injury is that Giordano is actually being acknowledged. I mean he was acknowledged already but now more people are realizing how important he was to the team and that he is actually good and not some fluke. They made it breaking news on Tradecentre, at the beginning of the season it wouldn't have happened. Just would have mentioned he was out and his injury hurts the team.

It's a good point, everyone said it was the biggest news of the day.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It just occurred to me why I found this picture of Gio so funny.

giordano.jpg

It reminded me of this :laugh:

who-has-the-best-hair-in-fiction-2657.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Truly sorry that you guys lost Gio for the season. The guy was having a career year at 31 years of age. That is incredible.

Aug 3, 2010
If the Flames were to extend their playoffs long enough for a somewhat-healed Giordano to make it back into the lineup, I think I'd like to see:

Wideman-Russell
Giordano-Engelland
Brodie-Schlemko/Wotherspoon/etc.

I'd really want Giordano to play reduced minutes because while it's obvious his healing time has been accelerated, it's also obvious he won't be at 100%. No point in him re-injuring himself or getting gassed on first-line minutes because he's out of game shape.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
If the Flames were to extend their playoffs long enough for a somewhat-healed Giordano to make it back into the lineup, I think I'd like to see:

Wideman-Russell
Giordano-Engelland

I'd really want Giordano to play reduced minutes because while it's obvious his healing time has been accelerated, it's also obvious he won't be at 100%. No point in him re-injuring himself or getting gassed on first-line minutes because he's out of game shape.

No. Gio on the bottom pair with Schlemko. Bottom pair doesn't play as much, we would be able to play them more with Gio there without completely overworking him, and he would prob elevate Schlemko to better play, allowing Russell/Wideman to get a few minutes less per game. If we aren't going to reunite Brodano then don't split up Brodie/Engelland, they've formed their own chemistry now.not to mention as much as Engelland has stepped up, Brodie has carried the pairing. No way to tell what would happen putting Gio with him.

Russell-Wideman
Brodie-Engelland
Giordano-Schlemko

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
No. Gio on the bottom pair with Schlemko. Bottom pair doesn't play as much, we would be able to play them more with Gio there without completely overworking him, and he would prob elevate Schlemko to better play, allowing Russell/Wideman to get a few minutes less per game. If we aren't going to reunite Brodano then don't split up Brodie/Engelland, they've formed their own chemistry now.not to mention as much as Engelland has stepped up, Brodie has carried the pairing. No way to tell what would happen putting Gio with him.

Russell-Wideman
Brodie-Engelland
Giordano-Schlemko

Only thing id worry about would be if you are down a goal in the 3rd period, or heck, even up a goal, is the temptation to throw Gio out there TONS even if he isnt 100%?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Wideman-Russell
Giordano-Engelland

Wideman - Russell
Brodie - Engelland
Giordano - Schlemko

Top two pairings get about 25 minutes each. Bottom pair gets about 10. Ease Gio back in. Brodie and Engelland have been great together. I'd rather not split them up. We've seen how Engelland does without Brodie/Wideman/Russell. It hasn't been pretty.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think what it is is there isn't really a great deal of danger of injury, but his strength simply isn't there yet, and there's probably a great deal of pain, too.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Wideman - Russell
Brodie - Engelland
Giordano - Schlemko

Top two pairings get about 25 minutes each. Bottom pair gets about 10. Ease Gio back in. Brodie and Engelland have been great together. I'd rather not split them up. We've seen how Engelland does without Brodie/Wideman/Russell. It hasn't been pretty.

Yeah but Engelland has turned out to be a pretty good signing. He is not bad.

Heck even Schlemko is contributing. I dont mind him coming back next year as a 7th dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad