Confirmed with Link: Marian Gaborik and Nick Shore to OTT for Dion Phaneuf (25% retained) and Nate Thompson

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
This is a garbage trade unless the plan is to trade Martinez.

Phaneuf isn't exactly a defensive stalwart, we get EVEN MORE loaded up on Left D, we take on cap, and we lost Shore who I thought was a very, very solid young 4th/3rd liner.

Muzzin
Martinez
Phanuef
Forbort
Gravel
MacDermid
Fatanenberg

All on the left

Doughty
LaDue
Folin

On the right.
Doesn't Phaneuf play the right side? Or he can. No idea if he's any good at it though.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I also feel like this trade pretty much seals the fate of one of Gravel or Fantenberg, if not both. No room for either of those guys.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Dion fills more of a need than Gaborik does, for sure. Kings can use a bit of veteran toughness back there and, while this isn't Sutter's Kings, it seems like he should fit in just fine.

Totally get it from Ottawa's POV since they are cheap and save actual dollars here while getting the only player in the deal that still has potential and is serviceable at a low cap hit.

Before seeing Dion play, I have to give credit to Blake here. I've been saying we can start judging him based on the deadline. So far, so good.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Lots of things to think about:

The Kings add $325K in cap hit to add a veteran to the blueline. Whether or not you like Phaneuf, it's still someone who will force Forbort, LaDue, and Folin to up their game since spots aren't guaranteed for all of them. Conversely, the Senators retain $2.5M in cap hit. Imagine having Gaborik for the next three years at his cap hit + $2.5 million.

Thompson is older and thus the Kings are trying to make a push for the playoffs. Maybe he'll push Mitchell out. I can only hope Carter comes back soon, regardless.

Shore was unappreciated here, but didn't fit in any long term plans.

Reactions: KingTrouty

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
A Martinez, Muzzin, or Forbort trade seems possible for a forward. Does Thompson fit anywhere? I think it’s a contract we agreed to suck up.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dion Phaneuf is a shit human being and I am quite disappointed he is on a favourite team of mine. Don't really think this helps the Kings either since he is pretty bad at this point (and has never been all that good his whole career).

Reactions: SensFactor

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
Dion fills more of a need than Gaborik does, for sure. Kings can use a bit of veteran toughness back there and, while this isn't Sutter's Kings, it seems like he should fit in just fine.

Totally get it from Ottawa's POV since they are cheap and save actual dollars here while getting the only player in the deal that still has potential and is serviceable at a low cap hit.

Before seeing Dion play, I have to give credit to Blake here. I've been saying we can start judging him based on the deadline. So far, so good.

Yup, Dion's obviously not the same player he used to be but he can still provide that. This team is ultra-soft without Brown in the lineup.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Stuck with Gaborik or Phaneuf either way. At the very least it changes things up. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. And Shore has been one of the most bland players I've ever seen.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
remember you guys how much i bash Gaborik & Shore???

this is the christmas i was hoping for!!

now... i'm circling Andreoff... if we can somehow trade him for an actual NHLer :D

tenor.gif

Reactions: Reaper45

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Well, despite the doom and gloom of the game tonight, and the prospect of having Phaneuf on our blueline for a few years, this actually isn't that bad for the Kings. We get rid of Gaborik, who was an awesome pickup for our cup run but whose re-signing and eternal injuries were hamstringing the team.

It sucks to lose Shore but it is not like his skill set was completely unique. Nate is a decent veteran to have out there. Phaneuf will be a decent blueline addition like it or not and our bottom 6 logjam gets alleviated a little bit.

The Kings came out the victors in terms of salary and cap hit which is an improvement for a change. In the end, I think the team is better so it is hard to criticize the move. Gaborik needed to go. There were a lot worse options out there for him than Phaneuf.

Last edited:

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
LaDue gets sent back down? Gravel requires waivers now.

Phaneuf and Thompson are already in Pittsburgh since Ottawa played them tonight haha

Reactions: efhank

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Addition by subtraction. Only a few of us were willing to call Gaborik toast after his 43rd surgery last summer. He’s done. Has been.

Shore was a never was.

Phaneuf is somewhere in between. But he at least fills a need.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
listen to me guys, for i am ever wise, ever merciful

we need to pluck Galchenyuk out of Montreal on da cheap

we just need some goalsssssss f*** whatever else he can't do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad