March to the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Unless the Flames go into a nosedive, I don't think 96 points will be enough. I would be shooting for 98.

Yeah, 96 is still a little sketchy, however if one of our wins to get to 96 is against the Flames then it's a different story.

That means that we only win 3 of our next 7 games. I don't see that being enough to guarantee us a spot but it gives us a realistic chance of getting us into the playoffs if Calgary only goes 4-4 in their last 8 (bringing them to 95 points)

I'd rather go 4-3-1 in our next seven, taking us to 99 points. That means Calgary would have to go 6-2 to TIE us and I'm guessing that Minnesota, LA and the Jets in the last game of the season would have something to say about those chances, not to mention Nashville and St Louis, jockeying for first place.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Hypothetically, it's not impossible to catch the Blackhawks for the 3rd seed in the Western Conference. Sunday's game will be big.

Sure mathematically possible but highly improbable given the remaining number of games. They have a 4 point lead with 2 games in hand and better ROW. We'd need to make up at least 5 points, potentially 9 if you factor in their Jackets and Sabres games. Additionally, they play LA, Vancouver, and the Wild down the stretch. So if they're dropping points, it's only going to the wildcard teams and pushing the magic number higher.

If you're a Jets fan, you want Chicago to win their remaining games except for the one against us :)

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Another night where, if want something done around here, you've got to do it yourself. The OOT scoreboard won't help. We won, but the most important OOT game-that-matters went against us. Los Angeles won; that's negative. Vancouver lost, but they're further up the standings.

It's magic-number-tracking time. Winnipeg has 7 games left and Calgary has 8. Any combination of Winnipeg wins and Calgary losses totalling 7 will get us into the playoffs. An OT loss counts as 1/2. That last game of the season on April 11, versus Calgary, could be critical. If the Wild start coming down to earth, the game in Minnesota on April 6th could determine the order of the 2 wildcard spots. Speaking of the Wild, I hope they get a regulation win over Calgary on Friday, to move us 1 step closer to the playoffs.

Team | GP | Pts | PPG | Extr | Max | ROW | GBW | PPGx96 CENTRAL |
St Louis|74|99|1.338|110|115|37||
Nashville|75|100|1.333|109|114|40||
Chicago|73|94|1.288|106|112|35||0.222
PACIFIC
Anaheim|76|101|1.329|109|113|39||
Vancouver|74|90|1.216|100|106|39||0.75
Los Angeles|74|88|1.189|98|104|35||1
WILD CARD |
Minnesota|74|91|1.23|101|107|38|-1|0.625
Winnipeg|75|90|1.2|98|104|32|0|0.857
Calgary|74|87|1.176|96|103|36|1|1.125
Dallas|74|82|1.108|91|98|32|3.5|1.75
San Jose|74|80|1.081|89|96|33|4.5|2
Colorado|74|80|1.081|89|96|25|4.5|2
Edmonton|74|55|0.743|61|71|16|17|
Arizona|75|54|0.72|59|68|18|18|

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
Last 10 games the Jets, Wild, and Kings each got 14 points. Flames with 13. Unbelievable race... just hope it doesn't come down to April 11th vs. Flames. I don't think my heart could take it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah I really hope it doesn't come down to the last game against the flames. I want it sealed before that...It would just absolutely suck to have it end on a shoot out loss or something stupid like that.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah, 96 is still a little sketchy, however if one of our wins to get to 96 is against the Flames then it's a different story.

I'd rather go 4-3-1 in our next seven

I'd love to go 4-3-1 over seven games too, but it's just not in the cards, unless Tim Peel goes from refereeing to updating the league standings ;)

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Want to get really depressed?Imagine if we had won the Vancouver game. We would have been four points up on Vancouver... five up on Calgary...four up on Los Angeles...one ahead of Minnesota.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Want to get really depressed?Imagine if we had won the Vancouver game. We would have been four points up on Vancouver... five up on Calgary...four up on Los Angeles...one ahead of Minnesota.

Can't win 'em all. I' not depressed at all. The Jets just played 6 games in 10 days and won 5 of them losing only the B2B game. That's encouraging, not depressing.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013

No point in thinking like that. What if we didn't go 7-3-0 in our last 10, but wen't 6-4-0 or 6-3-1 (which are both respectable records). There are many plausible alternative outcomes to most of our 75 games so far, and some of the plausible outcomes included us not getting points when we did.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

heck, imagine if we'd won 1 of the games we lost right out of the asb, and then not given up the goal from center ice against the Blues and got 2 points there. 4 points to the good and we'd be looking like a lock for the playoffs...a guy could drive himself nuts thinking about that stuff! :)

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
heck, imagine if we'd won 1 of the games we lost right out of the asb, and then not given up the goal from center ice against the Blues and got 2 points there. 4 points to the good and we'd be looking like a lock for the playoffs...a guy could drive himself nuts thinking about that stuff! :)

Imagine if the Jets had crumbled :) after losing all their defencemen

imagine if they had crumbled after losing Buff, Little and Perrault.. Mr. Pavelec stayed to his previous form

Imagine

after all of that, the team is on a driver seat

out of the 7 games, if they get 8 points, with those a clean win againts the Flames, Canucks and Wilds.

Imagine

Jets might be part of the dance after 2 weeks.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Last 10 games the Jets, Wild, and Kings each got 14 points. Flames with 13. Unbelievable race... just hope it doesn't come down to April 11th vs. Flames. I don't think my heart could take it.

I think we need to keep reminding ourselves about this, again and again and again...

It's so easy to look at the other teams winning and get all depressed, thinking that we can't possibly keep up with their consistent winning - until we realize that we're doing exactly the same thing! Every one of those teams - the Wild, the Kings, the Flames - have at least as good a chance as the Jets do of falling apart in the last two weeks. I'd even go so far as to say that two of the three (the Wild and the Flames) have a considerably bigger chance of falling apart - the Wild because they've been relying on one player for 35 games now, and the Flames because...well, because they've been playing above their level all season, and it's actually already starting to show.

Will the Jets catch Minnesota? Probably not. Are they a better team than Minnesota? No doubt.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Will the Jets catch Minnesota? Probably not. Are they a better team than Minnesota? No doubt.

Better record = better team.

In the playoffs, everything resets to zero. You only need to be a better team than your opponent for a seven game series. Rinse, repeat.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
We cheer for Minny tonight, yes?

I am. I'm only going to start getting concerned about Minnesota if Winnipeg leaves Calgary in the rear-view mirror with a few games left and Winnipeg is still right on their tail like they are now. Then I'll start rooting for them to lose. Their games against Calgary and Los Angeles, though? Well you go out and win, neighbourino to the south.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Better record = better team.

In the playoffs, everything resets to zero. You only need to be a better team than your opponent for a seven game series. Rinse, repeat.

That's my point, really. In the playoffs, everything resets to zero. The Jets are, by most measurable facts, an overall better team than Minnesota. The Jets have a better defense. The Jets have better forwards. Minnesota has better goaltending, although not so much over the past few games, now that Pavelec's found his groove.

Minnesota has rode their unbelievable goaltending to a position where they're (barely) ahead of the Jets, and if they finish the season that way, they deserve it. That doesn't make the a "better" team; the playoffs, when everything resets to zero, will determine that.

Notice, also, that during Minnesota's hot streak, they haven't played the Jets at all. This makes a direct comparison hard to make. Ask yourself, though...which team would you like to have, going forward for the next few years? To me, it's not even close. Minnesota has nowhere to go but down, because Dubnyk can't do this forever, and the rest of his team is really not sensational. Good, but not sensational. The Jets, on the other hand, are only getting better.

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
Sporstclub stats shows very little impact no matter who wins. But instinctively it would seem we should want Calgary to stay 3 points behind.

That's what I was thinking too, but then on Saturday they play L.A. so then I was thinking perhaps it would be nice to see them drop both to CGY and L.A. :whaaa?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad