March to the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I think this much OOT scoreboard watching is unhealthy for Jets fan :)

Take a breather folks - there will be ebbs and flows in the remaining 8 games. Save the nail biting to the last 3-4 games of the season.

It will literally come down to that, unless Calgary or LA does us the favour of losing their next 4 games straight.

It could happen too. Calgary's schedule is the easiest, but if you look at their next 4 games it's almost as hard as ours. Minnesota, Nashville, Dallas, St. Louis.

LA's isnt' any easier. Islanders, Minnesota, Chicago, (edmonton)

I think we have to put our mojo against Calgary to get hammered in this next four games. I'd gladly take a clean Minnesota win against them at this point, especially since I don't care what Wild Card spot the Jets finish in as long as they get one.

If the Jets beat the Habs tonight and the Kings beat the Islanders, a Calgary loss to Minnesota and Nashville means they find themselves looking at a schedule where anything but winning out could put them out of the playoffs if LA and Winnipeg play .500 hockey the rest of the way.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I'd rather Minnesota go undefeated the rest of the way, even if it means beating us in the process....as long as we can get 5 points in these next 4 games

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm in favor of a different system as well. When you have such a difference in divisional strength like we saw with the Central & Pacific this year, it offers a huge advantage to teams in the weak division.

Not only can they (the Pacific teams) get in to the 2 & 3 slots with fewer points than it takes for teams from the Central to even get a wild card spot, but they get to play a total of 8 extra games against the weak sisters (Ariz & Edm).

That's huge, amounts to probably 4-8 extra points there alone. Take into account that their entire division, top to bottom, is a lot weaker than ours & that probably accounts for a dozen extra points.

Yeah it is definitely flawed, and it is one of the reasons Calgary is in at the moment as they are 19-6-1 against the Pacific. You do well enough within your division and in one that is a bit weak and you are probably getting a 2nd or 3rd seed. I believe one of their reasons for going to a more inter-division format was to try and reignate some of the classic rivalries from the 80s-early 90s, like the ones in the Smythe and Norris. Or to spark new ones at the very least.

I think it should be amended slightly, perhaps back to a more inter-conference format with the top 2 teams in each division as the 1-4 seeds with 4 wild card spots available to the rest of the conference? The only way to make things truly "fair" is to go back to the 70s way of seeding throughout the league regardless of division/conference. But back then there was no alignment of geographical location with division/conference so not sure it would work.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
She's a nail biter alright, it's gonna be close.

photo-finish.jpg

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
I like the divisional set up, and hey, if we do end up in the playoffs, I doubt anyone will complain about some of the 1st round series that could end up happening. I mean, if the post-season were today CGY-VAN, WPG-STL, MTL-OTT...not to mention the absolute gem of a series NYI-PIT could be...this could be one heck of a 1st round, Winnipeg just needs to get there of course!!

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Who said Calgary has an easy schedule. I see 1 win and a tie in the next 4 games.

It seems to be the consensus that their remaining schedule is much easier compared to Winnipeg and Minnesota. I disagree. They have also leveled off a bit, I believe the Flames are 2-2-2 in their last 6?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
It seems to be the consensus that their remaining schedule is much easier compared to Winnipeg and Minnesota. I disagree. They have also leveled off a bit, I believe the Flames are 2-2-2 in their last 6?

They have 8 left including the 2 softies. Beyond those 2, yes they play a lot of teams in the heat of the battle (Minn, Dall, LA, Wpg, plus Nash & StL).

I'm hoping & be happy to be wrong, but at their present pace I'd give them 9-10 pts out of those 8 games (or 96+ points in the end).

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
96 seems most likely. 1996 was the last time Winnipeg was in the NHL playoffs, maybe that number is fate. I'd feel more comfy with 97-98 though

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm hesitant to call Edmonton a "softie" any longer, they have been playing better. Maybe not as their record indicates, but they are putting an effort into every game and can surprise you. They were a bit of a handful for us at times on Monday. I'm sure they would also LOVE to spoil the party for Calgary if they can so I'd expect them to be playing them pretty hard. Arizona is in full tank mode though, that is almost a gimmie for the Flames.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I'm hesitant to call Edmonton a "softie" any longer, they have been playing better. Maybe not as their record indicates, but they are putting an effort into every game and can surprise you. They were a bit of a handful for us at times on Monday. I'm sure they would also LOVE to spoil the party for Calgary if they can so I'd expect them to be playing them pretty hard. Arizona is in full tank mode though, that is almost a gimmie for the Flames.

Calgary will beat the Kings in one of the last two games they play them in, and they'll definitely beat Calgary. ESPECIALLY if 4 games from now Calgary has only collected 3-4 pts and is in danger of falling behind the rest of the pack. The Oilers would play their hardest game of the year if they knew they could bury the Flames.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
There's nine games left, and the Jets have 88 points. I say go for 100 - six wins in the nine games, and we hit triple digits.

That's the best way to approach things; with 100 points, there's no way they don't make the playoffs. Set their sights on 100, and what the other teams do becomes absolutely irrelevant. There's enough stress concentrating on the Jets alone these days; I don't need to have to think about the Wild, the Kings, the Flames, and the Canucks as well. Just get 100 points.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There's nine games left, and the Jets have 88 points. I say go for 100 - six wins in the nine games, and we hit triple digits.

That's the best way to approach things; with 100 points, there's no way they don't make the playoffs. Set their sights on 100, and what the other teams do becomes absolutely irrelevant. There's enough stress concentrating on the Jets alone these days; I don't need to have to think about the Wild, the Kings, the Flames, and the Canucks as well. Just get 100 points.

Only 8 games left.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think 97 does it for the Jets... 4-3-1 would be just fine.

I think it would be a slam-dunk if one of those wins is against the Flames in the final game. It's hard to see the Flames winning 5 of their other 7 remaining games.

I could see the Flames going 0-4 in their next 4 games

@Wild, @Nash, @Dal, @StL.

The Dallas game is back-to-back with the Preds, and 3rd game in 4 nights.

If so, the Flames would need to sweep their final 4 to reach 96. The Oilers won't be a gimme (5th game on a tough road trip). Their second-last game is against the Kings, before closing it out against the Jets.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
You're right - they have eight games left, not nine.

My point still stands. Go for 100, and there's nothing to worry about. Heck, with 100 points they probably finish ahead of Minnesota.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Yep - I'd agree. Let the Pacific beat themselves up over that 3rd spot in the Pacific - I'd be more than happy slipping into one of the WC spots.

I don't know if my CC will be able to handle all this, 2015-16 renewal by 15 April, then playoff birth(?).

I might have to increase my limit lol :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad