Marc Bergevin's Masterpiece?

Which is Marc Bergevin's best trade?

• Total voters

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Hmm... we don't lost big time lol. Sergachev is great offensively, but not a beast at defense zone. Before that injuries, Drouin show he can be a great player. Not every player step up at 18 years old. Huberdeau, Marchand put massive number at 25 years old and more (Marchand 28 years old).
Sergachev is far superior to anything Drouin will ever amount to. We've seen Drouin stagnate for 5 straight seasons now. He is a 60 point player at BEST. (he hasn't even reached that once yet) while Sergachev has been a 40 point defensemen for 3 straight seasons and he JUST turned 22. Sometimes it's okay to admit we lost a trade. This is one of those times.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
It'd be great to edit OP to include the trade details for those of us that aren't Habs fans. @Bouboumaster

Sergachev is far superior to anything Drouin will ever amount to. We've seen Drouin stagnate for 5 straight seasons now. He is a 60 point player at BEST. (he hasn't even reached that once yet) while Sergachev has been a 40 point defensemen for 3 straight seasons and he JUST turned 22. Sometimes it's okay to admit we lost a trade. This is one of those times.

While I agree with the premise of Serg>Drouin, I feel like using their points isn't a great way to judge them. One plays on arguably the best all around team in the NHL and the best offensive team, the other plays for the Habs...

I highly doubt a player of Drouin's skill couldn't crack 65 on TBay, maybe evem more depending on usage. Unfortunately, he still has massive warts to his game.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
It'd be great to edit OP to include the trade details for those of us that aren't Habs fans. @Bouboumaster

While I agree with the premise of Serg>Drouin, I feel like using their points isn't a great way to judge them. One plays on arguably the best all around team in the NHL and the best offensive team, the other plays for the Habs...

I highly doubt a player of Drouin's skill couldn't crack 65 on TBay, maybe evem more depending on usage. Unfortunately, he still has massive warts to his game.
Even ifhe were to hit 65 points (which we're assuming is a ceiling at this point as he hasn't ever actually come close to it) he still has so many flaws to his game that he'd be considered a one-dimensional 1/2 line LW vs Sergachev who well on his way to being a top pairing defender.

One is straight up better than the other, no easy way to say it.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Tatar's trade was really good, but we gave up more than the other trades.

Voted Danault has he succeeded to turn nothing into something, and that something just happened to be at position of need at C (Danault being one of the best producer at 5v5 in the last seasons) and LD (Romanov). All that for a few games of Weise and Fleishman was a great move and great asset management.

Reactions: Eegs

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Voted Danault's trade, considering we also got Romanov with the 2nd round pick.
All of that for Dale Weise lmao.

Yeah, it's easily gotta be this deal. Danault for Weise and a castoff rental whatever is a steal already. Add the 2nd to the mix, and then potentially hit it out of the park with Romanov? Yeah, that's the best deal.

The Patches/Tatar thing, i can see the argument for it. Suzuki is a very good young player attached to that. But Patches is also still one of the elite wingers in the NHL. Gave up a ton more than just a Dale Weise in that one.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
1. Tatar & Suzuki
2. Petry
3. Danault

He's got a few outstanding deals. And it's only taken him 8 years! Oh great! He sucks as a GM. When he does make trades, he generally does OK on value, but he doesn't make meaningful trades often enough.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

"He just turned 22"
Drouin was also 22 when the habs acquired him, and yet he didnt improve much since then (unless he can replicate his performance from this season prior to his injury). There is no guarantee that Sergachev ends up much better than he currently is.

If Sergachev ends up just a 2nd pairing defenseman in his prime, then its a wash in terms of value.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
"He just turned 22"
Drouin was also 22 when the habs acquired him, and yet he didnt improve much since then (unless he can replicate his performance from this season prior to his injury). There is no guarantee that Sergachev ends up much better than he currently is.

If Sergachev ends up just a 2nd pairing defenseman in his prime, then its a wash in terms of value.
Dude, he's atleast 1-2 years away from even starting his prime and he's improved steadily every single year since he's been in the league, unlike Drouin who's been up and down ever since he entered. Your attempt at trying to prove this trade is fair is embarrassing. Admit we lost it. There's no need to wait for the results, we already know them.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
His best trade was the Tatar + Suzuki + 2nd rounder for Patch one imo, because the value was there and it was consistent with the needs of the team for once. We needed a young forward stud and Suzuki is just that (hopefully he continues to impress!). The 2nd rounder was in the line of a rebuild ("re-tool as MB calls it) and Tatar was an offensive winger that we needed to compensate for the loss of Patch. Tatar proved that his one bad year was a fluke and I'm very happy with how the trade turned out.

Close second is the Danault trade, because Weise and Fleisch were just .... useless and we got 2 assets out of them.

Petry was a big time reclamation project that really took off 3 years after the trade as a 29 years old.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
"He just turned 22"

Even if it's a wash in terms of value, we still lost big time. I'd rather have a LD like Segachev playing with Weber than Drouin. Yes, we would be lacking a top 6 winger, but we exchanged from a position of weakness to another, arguably less important position of weakness.

Reactions: alasania94

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Dude, he's atleast 1-2 years away from even starting his prime and he's improved steadily every single year since he's been in the league, unlike Drouin who's been up and down ever since he entered. Your attempt at trying to prove this trade is fair is embarrassing. Admit we lost it. There's no need to wait for the results, we already know them.

Huh? Drouin wasnt in his prime when the habs got him, and he was improving every year with tampa. In fact, even moreso than Sergachev.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Hmm... we don't lost big time lol. Sergachev is great offensively, but not a beast at defense zone. Before that injuries, Drouin show he can be a great player. Not every player step up at 18 years old. Huberdeau, Marchand put massive number at 25 years old and more (Marchand 28 years old).
Watch segs some more. He plays 20+ minutes and some big minutes defensively including some pk minutes.

Vs the bruins in a recent game he played freakin 28 min vs the best team and scored 2 points at the age of 22. The dude is a total beast and Drouin is a complete mess filled with excuses.

We lost that trade pretty badly. In fact I would wager in terms of magnitude this is his biggest trade and ended in a gigantic failure.

I would undo any trade to undo this one.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Huh? Drouin wasnt in his prime when the habs got him, and he was improving every year with tampa. In fact, even moreso than Sergachev.
LMAO well you just answered your own comment, why are you assuming Sergachev is in his prime at 22 if you claim drouin wasn't when we got him? He improved to a certain point and then reached his ceiling, which is a 55-60 point one dimensional winger. He's 26 now bud, he's not getting much better sorry to tell you.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
LMAO well you just answered your own comment, why are you assuming Sergachev is in his prime at 22 if you claim drouin wasn't when we got him? He improved to a certain point and then reached his ceiling, which is a 55-60 point one dimensional winger. He's 26 now bud, he's not getting much better sorry to tell you.

I never said Sergachev is in his prime. I said there is a possibility he doesnt improve much like Drouin so far.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Sure cuz he didn't improve this season, right?

Do you just judge by points or what?

My whole post is about how much he will or will not improve in the future, and you ask me about his past season?

Sergachev right now is nothing special. Hes a 30-40 pts defensemen who isnt good defensively and lacks consistency. Hes got great potential, but there is no guarantee he reaches it.

Drouin at the same age was coming off a breakout season and looked like he was going to become an elite player. A good reason why the trade looked so lopsided for the habs at that time.

Well he didnt improve much.

Not every player is able to take the next step, and until Sergachev does, the trade isnt a lost for the habs in terms of value.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's that rivet deal that spans gainey and Bergevin. I guess that be 2007.

Rivet for Pacioretty and gorges, then Pacioretty for Tatar, and Suzuki.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
My whole post is about how much he will or will not improve in the future, and you ask me about his past season?

Sergachev right now is nothing special. Hes a 30-40 pts defensemen who isnt good defensively and lacks consistency. Hes got great potential, but there is no guarantee he reaches it.

Drouin at the same age was coming off a breakout season and looked like he was going to become an elite player. A good reason why the trade looked so lopsided for the habs at that time.

Well he didnt improve much.

Not every player is able to take the next step, and until Sergachev does, the trade isnt a lost for the habs in terms of value.

you really have no idea who sergs is and its quite sad. Watch him play and come back to me.

Reactions: alasania94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad