Marc Bergevin's Masterpiece?

Which is Marc Bergevin's best trade?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Tatar trade quite easily. It's Tatar + Suzuki.

1. Tons of drama surrounding Pacioretty at the time, lowering his value (not so much because he causes drama, but because Habs were desperate, and trading from position of weakness)
2. On-ice Pacioretty had just had a really bad season too, and was due for a big contract. Paying someone big $$ after a bad year is always worrisome, and that was part of the trade as you have to get other team to commit to him high $$
3. We got Tatar, who wasn't so much a surprise (he was pretty good minus the one year), but who Habs correctly predicted would rebound after Vegas had given up on him
4. We got Suzuki. Fantastic player, with so much potential.

I'd argue in past 2 seasons Tatar > Pacioretty as a player. And Suzuki is still the most valuable piece in my opinion.

So yeah - I think that was his best trade.

Runner up - Vanek. I know this was just a rental, but based on all the hype surrounding him at the time of the TDL, i can't believe we got him for a 2nd round pick.

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
Bergevin's made a few nice trades but he doesn't have the proper vision to lead a team. He's equally made horrible moves to offset the good moves.

Like what?
The only one i can think of is Shaw for 2 x 2nd but then he got back those picks by trading Eller
In my opinion he's one of the best GM when it comes to trades.
Tatar, Suzuki > Pacioretty
Domi > Galchenyuk
Petry > 2nd + 4th
Danault + 2nd (Romanov) > Weise
Weber > Subban
Drouin = Sergachev (Still too soon to really tell)
Got Armia and Byron for nothing
Even the smaller moves he did great. (Kulak, Weal, Scandella ..)

My only complaints would be the Radulov situation. He had to keep him and failed.
Also signing Karl Alzner to that ridiculous contract

Last edited:

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
I wish people would put a bit of effort into their threads when they decide to make them. At the very least you could put the information about what which players/picks were involved in each trade into the OP.
Maybe we can refer to them as IKEA Threads because we're expected to build them ourselves

That being said probably Tatar + Suzuki

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I wish people would put a bit of effort into their threads when they decide to make them. At the very least you could put the information about what which players/picks were involved in each trade into the OP.

you don't have every intimate detail about le club de hockey Canadien memorized and tattooed on your chest? What a sad excuse for a hockey fan you are. 24 Stanley Cups, hater.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Like what?
The only one i can think of is Shaw for 2 x 2nd but then he got back those picks by trading Eller
Domi > Galchenyuk
Petry > 2nd + 4th
Weber > Subban

My only complaints would be the Radulov situation. He had to keep him and failed.
Love how you stuck "Drouin = Sergachev" in there lol

we lost that one big time bud

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Like what?
Domi > Galchenyuk
Petry > 2nd + 4th
Weber > Subban

Those are some good moves you listed, but you forgot the cap-crippling Carey Price contract extension.

Reactions: POVERTY

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth

I agree that its leaning into that direction but Drouin still have the time to get his s*** together and become that 1st line winger he can be. The skills are there, no question about that

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
Those are some good moves you listed, but you forgot the cap-crippling Carey Price contract extension.

Top dollars for one of the best goalie in the league i can live with that.
Its heavy but at least Price contributes to the (lets hope) success of this team in the near future
Paying almost 5M$ for a 7th D ...now that is dumb

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Like what?
Domi > Galchenyuk
Petry > 2nd + 4th
Weber > Subban

No ......

Reactions: Habs Icing

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Top dollars for one of the best goalie in the league i can live with that.
Its heavy but at least Price contributes to the (lets hope) success of this team in the near future
Paying almost 5M$ for a 7th D ...now that is dumb

It's good that you can live with it, but it's still probably one of the worst contracts in the NHL. For starters, he is not "one of the best goalies in the league anymore." He hasn't been since 2017. He's middle of the pack if not bottom 1/3 of NHL starters. Considering he is already 32, his play is likely to stay at this level if not continue to go downhill.

7 more years of a 32 year old average goalie at $10.5 million is pretty rough..and will certainly become an issue once contract extensions for Tatar, Gallagher, Danault, Domi, etc are due over the next few years.

I'm not sure who you're referring to with your last sentence.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
It's good that you can live with it, but it's still probably one of the worst contracts in the NHL. For starters, he is not "one of the best goalies in the league anymore." He hasn't been since 2017. He's middle of the pack if not bottom 1/3 of NHL starters. Considering he is already 32, his play is likely to stay at this level if not continue to go downhill.

7 more years of a 32 year old average goalie at $10.5 million is pretty rough..and will certainly become an issue once contract extensions for Tatar, Gallagher, Danault, Domi, etc are due over the next few years.

I'm not sure who you're referring to with your last sentence.

I was referring to Alzner
and no, Price is not just a "middle of the pack" goalie who's regressing, i dont buy it.
He's still the toughest goalie to beat according to players around the league, and the voting wasn’t even close.
He sure had some rough moments but at the end of the day if i have to choose one goaltender to win, it would still be him.

Reactions: Peter Puck

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was referring to Alzner
and no, Price is not just a "middle of the pack" goalie who's regressing, i dont buy it.
He's still the toughest goalie to beat according to players around the league, and the voting wasn’t even close.
He sure had some rough moments but at the end of the day if i have to choose one goaltender to win, it would still be him.

He was 32nd in save percentage among goalies with at least 20 starts this past season.

36th among all goalies in Quality Start Percentge.

36th in Goals Saved Above Average

He's definitely regressed to a league-average goalie. Three straight seasons of average to below average is enough of a sample size.

Reactions: tricky

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
i mean they're good trades but none are masterpieces

voted Petry
elvisvelvet.jpg

Crow

May 19, 2014
People are fixated on his use of the work masterpiece. What was his best work. No it’s not a masterpiece but it is his masterpiece.

I voted for danault.

HM for other would be dumping Shaw back on us in a foresighted move for two picks. Perhaps more a stroke of luck than genius.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Tatar. I like more Tatar than Pacioretty (more heart and more talented). Suzuki is like a futur elite center 70-80 points with great two-way ability.

Domi trade is amazing too. Domi can put 60-70 points per season with great grit.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Hmm... we don't lost big time lol. Sergachev is great offensively, but not a beast at defense zone. Before that injuries, Drouin show he can be a great player. Not every player step up at 18 years old. Huberdeau, Marchand put massive number at 25 years old and more (Marchand 28 years old).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad