• Be patient

• Keep him is doing a good job

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas with Perron , Marchessault and fleury?

That's fair. I'm just not really sure you're going to expect Bergevin to go after guys like that. Fleury was a lock for Vegas and Montreal has Price. Perron, if I recall correctly, didn't want to play in Montreal when he was a UFA last. And Marchessault on the surface looked like a one hit wonder. Habs don't have the people that can do deep dives into the data and point out that Marchessault underlying numbers are amazing and have been since even before he broke out. And I'm not sure their scouts took him seriously either.

On the list of things wrong with this team, not enough local talent should be near the very bottom.

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
That's fair. I'm just not really sure you're going to expect Bergevin to go after guys like that. Fleury was a lock for Vegas and Montreal has Price. Perron, if I recall correctly, didn't want to play in Montreal when he was a UFA last. And Marchessault on the surface looked like a one hit wonder. Habs don't have the people that can do deep dives into the data and point out that Marchessault underlying numbers are amazing and have been since even before he broke out. And I'm not sure their scouts took him seriously either.

On the list of things wrong with this team, not enough local talent should be near the very bottom.

It's funny that Bergevin has always been obsessed with attitude, because it's precisely his shitty attitude that makes him such a bad GM. How an organization as wealthy as the Montreal Canadiens can't have a full-time staff of analytics nerds and professional scouts who actually operate like it's 2018 comes down to Bergevin's hubris.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
It's funny that Bergevin has always been obsessed with attitude, because it's precisely his ****ty attitude that makes him such a bad GM. How an organization as wealthy as the Montreal Canadiens can't have a full-time staff of analytics nerds and professional scouts who actually operate like it's 2018 comes down to Bergevin's hubris.

sure is funny that Bergevin is always talking about attitude

when he probably have some attitude's problem himself.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
YOu just know Bergevin had to do research to know that the Real Madrid missed the PO or whatever... No way he knew that when he doesn't even know where Nolan Patrick was picked in the draft.

Why do you talk to us about the Real Madrid? To deflect from the ****ty year we had? Bad Marc baddd
Probably just listened to Tony M on 690 as prep for the interview with Mitch.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
I'm biased but what are his strengths? Sorry guys when I talk MB I just can't be objective anymore.

he is quebecois, has loads of swag, he got intellectual wrinckles on his forhead, fearless to dress with teenager clothing at adults reunions, able to blend with nature, he is a good guy just has much as the media, chicks dig his glasses.. I could go on and on and on..

oh you are talking about actual hockey managing skills...? sorry cant help you

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
he is quebecois, has loads of swag, he got intellectual wrinckles on his forhead, fearless to dress with teenager clothing at adults reunions, able to blend with nature, he is a good guy just has much as the media, chicks dig his glasses.. I could go on and on and on..

oh you are talking about actual hockey managing skills...? sorry cant help you
are you sure those wrinckels are of intellectual nature? I think they are just hockey helmet scuffs.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
He's good at finding role players or depth players at a cheap price for the most part (Byron, Deslauriers, Weaver, Weise, Danault, Mitchell).
Yes - however, for all of those he also gets the Semin/Hemsky stinkers. This is why his nickname is Bargain Bin Bergevin- for his talent at only finding 3rd/4th line cheap players.

Reactions: DXStriker

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
He wanted more than one year and Bergevin said one year or nothing. Perron instead signed with the Blues. Radulov agreed to one year when he too wanted at least two. This came a day after offering Lucic more money and term than any other team.
Bergevin said "one year or nothing?" Cmon man - now you're just talking stories. Marc Bergevin would NEVER EVER give an ultimatum offer like that to a player. Bwahaha

Reactions: Price is Wright

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I was one of the first people to diagnose Bergevin as a moron and at the time I was mostly dismissed. People didn't think that it was possible for someone to be both stupid and successful. I've since been vindicated and most people now agree that he's clueless.

It really sucked though. We got out of the Gainey and Gauthier years and within a few months, Bergevin was proving himself a fool over the Subban bridge contract negotiations, and by mostly hiring his personal friends rather than the best people. I think that people wanted to believe in Bergevin.

I hope that with our next GM, we can remain enthusiastic for a while. I want to believe.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Yes - however, for all of those he also gets the Semin/Hemsky stinkers. This is why his nickname is Bargain Bin Bergevin- for his talent at only finding 3rd/4th line cheap players.
Bergevin is awful at that, yes. But there is a difference between those washed up players that are supposed to help with scoring (you can add Briere too), and players coming in with a definite role on the team. Ironically, the best move with a washed up player was probably Fleischmann and he was brought in with a PTO at first.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

You'll notice his stinkers tend to be skill and finesse guys while his successes are grinders with some offensive ability.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I was one of the first people to diagnose Bergevin as a moron and at the time I was mostly dismissed. People didn't think that it was possible for someone to be both stupid and successful. I've since been vindicated and most people now agree that he's clueless.

It really sucked though. We got out of the Gainey and Gauthier years and within a few months, Bergevin was proving himself a fool over the Subban bridge contract negotiations, and by mostly hiring his personal friends rather than the best people. I think that people wanted to believe in Bergevin.

I hope that with our next GM, we can remain enthusiastic for a while. I want to believe.

I will admit it, it was exactly that. I really wanted to believe in him. Reality fell down hard the day I saw the three stooges (Dumb, Dumber and Dumbass) on the stage in the presser after the disastrous season and understood that MT was not fired. I understood then that we were in big troubles.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Plekanec trade looks good on him but it's not that impressive.

A late 2nd and NHL fillers for him? Make better moves.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Bergevin is awful at that, yes. But there is a difference between those washed up players that are supposed to help with scoring (you can add Briere too), and players coming in with a definite role on the team. Ironically, the best move with a washed up player was probably Fleischmann and he was brought in with a PTO at first.
Bergevin is best served in an assistant GM role so he can focus on the small stuff like role players and leave the big boy decisions and work to a real GM.
Maybe in 10-15 years he will be ready to be a GM but right now he just isn't ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad