Marc Bergevin - Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He makes the same mistakes over and over again: giving up good assets and cap space for lesser talent/grinders/slow dmen, then claims top centers and talent aren't available at the right price and/or we don't have the cap space to sign/re-sign them. sigh
The way he disrespected Markov was the last straw for me. God I loathe this POS

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
The way he disrespected Markov was the last straw for me. God I loathe this POS

Bergy has disgraced the Habs for sure but the RDS rubes love him so what can Molson do? He'd be a fool to poke that hornet's nest again.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Bergy has disgraced the Habs for sure but the RDS rubes love him so what can Molson do? He'd be a fool to poke that hornet's nest again.

I'd say the media even the French one has been on Bergevin's case for at least 2-3 weeks now with some good articles about his lack of movement and failed trades. It's picking up steam

Reactions: Runner77 and JLP

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
:laugh:........maybe Markov will let his agent do the negotiating next time, let the big boys handle it so his feelings don't get hurt.
Not about feelings or agents. Markov played 990 games for this team, never entertained other teams when he was a UFA and was still playing at a high level. You can’t belive what you just posted can you?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If the habs sign tavares this summer are they a contender?

They won't sign Tavares. If that ice cube made it through hell (or decided to come to hell) and he did sign, then ask that question, please.

I mean I have a similar question for you if you want to get into these discussions: if we were to trade Andrew Shaw for McDavid, how many stanley cups could we win over the next 10 years, let's start a poll.

Reactions: OldCraig71

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I still can't believe Moslon is going to let this guy keep his job and make the decisions at the trade deadline.

It's sickening.

Well to be fair, GM's rarely get fired midseason. He'll get fired in the off-season imo

I think they said this last night in the post-game on 690 but I agree... if we have a quiet TDL (Plekanec is the obvious move), I could see Bergevin fired at the end of the season. Not because he didn't do much at the TDL but more his power was removed and couldn't do much at the TDL.

That said, I hate to say it but I really believe Bergevin is going to be given one more season to turn this around. Not saying i want this or if it's a smart move, but if Bergevin shows his mug at the year-end post-mortem, he is here to stay.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If the habs sign tavares this summer are they a contender?
Out of the 31 teams to pick from why would a player go to a team in complete free fall and get hit with those wonderful low taxes of Quebec. Sadly Montreal has become one of the least preferred destinations of players with a choice. Tavares is not coming here

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think they said this last night in the post-game on 690 but I agree... if we have a quiet TDL (Plekanec is the obvious move), I could see Bergevin fired at the end of the season. Not because he didn't do much at the TDL but more his power was removed and couldn't do much at the TDL.

That said, I hate to say it but I really believe Bergevin is going to be given one more season to turn this around. Not saying i want this or if it's a smart move, but if Bergevin shows his mug at the year-end post-mortem, he is here to stay.

Molson does not buy into Einstein’s definition of insanity...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Out of the 31 teams to pick from why would a player go to a team in complete free fall and get hit with those wonderful low taxes of Quebec. Sadly Montreal has become one of the least preferred destinations of players with a choice. Tavares is not coming here

They'll likely have the most cap space this summer. If they win the lottery it isn't crazy to see players wanting to come here. Though I'd be shocked if tavares comes here, and if he does it won't be for less than 11 million

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Guess they'll spend their cap space on Backlund or Stastsny this summer.

If Bergevin is making the decisions, he'll trade for players like Cal Clutterbuck and then claim there isn't enough cap space. He offered both Backlund and Statsny very reasonable deals, and so it's first come first served if they want to accept them or not, for some reason they did not.\

If you want loyalty buy a dog, the defense is better than last year, we have lernout, streit, and hemsky, I could go on and on...

Reactions: justafan22

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They'll likely have the most cap space this summer. If they win the lottery it isn't crazy to see players wanting to come here. Though I'd be shocked if tavares comes here, and if he does it won't be for less than 11 million
The Price and Weber salaries have screwed this team’s ability to build properly within the cap

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
You can judge away, there's good and bad in there, good trades, bad ones, bad signings, I've never denied this.....but really, what really matters is what he does moving forward.

All good teams at some point were basement dwellers......Bergevins's core has aged out, time to reset (retool, tank, WTV )

Letting him keep the keys moving forward is a big risk...but it would take some pretty huge philosophical shifts in his mindset for me to be supportive of this. He can say whatever he wants in front of the media and the fans...it means little to me...actions speak louder than words and his decision making has been VERY suspect in the past 3-4 years big-time. He would need to course correct in a big way for me to be ok with him in charge because he hasn't shown he has a vision or a plan - which is a big-time problem.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016

This is what I do not understand when it comes to the relationships between Montreal and the Media.....
Why the hell would a Owner honestly care what those F**kwads think about the team/him.

RDS needs the Habs way more then the Habs need RDS.

As we can clearly see, icing a sub-standard product for multiple seasons has only scratched at the attendance /profits of the habs. He's still making money so why can't he grow a pair , Fire Marc and tell RDS to go pound salt.

Two things happen,
1) RDS runs some sort of BS smear campaign and basically makes up a bunch of bullshit . Fans will hopefully see past it and label it as #fakenews (which it probably is).
2) RDS shuts up, gets in line because if they start speaking ill of the regime, they will get restricted access or outright blocked in favor of the more friendly news outlets.

Molson/Habs have all the power in this relationship. They already do it now, you ask bergie too hard of questions or make him look like the idiot we all know he is, you won't get invited back.

Molson isn't firing Bergie out of fear of RDS backlash thats for sure.

Do I have this all wrong ?? Does the media have more sway in MTL then I think?

Reactions: justafan22

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
:laugh:........maybe Markov will let his agent do the negotiating next time, let the big boys handle it so his feelings don't get hurt.

Such a coward thing to say... I'm not even surprised though.

Dunno what MB did to you to make you fall in love with him so much to the point that you prefer to bash Markov who has given the Habs much more than the f***er Bergevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad