Confirmed with Link: Marc Bergevin named finalist for GM of the Year award

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Bergevin: Here you go DD a contract extension deep into our regular season... You can take it easy for the rest of the year. We are going to go full throttle next year though.. be ready.

DD : Ok..

lou

Feb 25, 2004
Red Deer AB.
Bouillon re-signing is cheap. He could be a good 7th D if we find other defensemen. We're probably also looking to see more of Tinordi and Emelin's return.

DD contract also isn't very high either. For a "first line" center, it's actually decent.

Getting Armstrong was ok. I don't know why some expected him to fight. He's only fought twice in his entire career and he got his ass stomped. We got him for cheap too. He was decent defensively as a shut down. Same goes for Moen.

Prust, everyone's happy about him.

Drewiskie didn't cost us much. Heck, Gorges was also bad when he first started. Let's give the guy a chance.

Ryder has been a bit lackluster in the playoffs. But he did contribute to our successes during the regular season. Plus MB got him for dirt cheap compared to what he would have cost us had the trade been around the trade deadline.

Halpern was a nice addition.

Re-signing PK was also good cap wise.

I'd say he was fine. Don't know about the best, but he was fine. Let's see what he does now. It's easy to be pissy about signings when we lost and everyone wants players to play their way. Fact is, to get these players, we would have payed more under Gainey/Gauthier era. And we got them for cheap.
Desharnais is not now, never was and never will be a number one center. decent hockey player yes. Elite player on Stanley cup contender, Laughable and i'm a fan of Desharnais . Just my two cents

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
You don't agree, but his peers do. I think I'll take the opinion of his peers.
If a 1 year extension with a minimal salary given to a depth d-man is what makes or breaks "GM of the year", the award itself doesn't mean much.
Actually, you're very vocal against both Therrien AND Bergevin... I'd like to know exactly why this team took the jump from 15 to 2 if they didn't play a part in it?

The deals did not figure into the decision. The fact that the team went 15th to 2nd is the only reason he got nominated along with changing the culture and hiring of Therrien.

MTLSandman*

It's pathetic how quickly this entire city has given up on Desharnais after one shortened season. So typical of Habs fans.

Why are you surprised? There's some people who have given up on price after one bad MONTH in a shortened season... Just reading that makes me cringe...

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
So in a yr MB...

- beefs up the mgmt team by adding great people in the front office, scouting, and player development depts
- signs Pacioretty to an unreal extension
- picks up much needed toughness and depth with Prust, Boullion, and Armstrong
- doesn't trade away any picks and lets TT do his thing at the draft
- hires MT against conventional wisdom to great results
- talks Subban down and gets him to sign a bridge contract
- trades an underperforming Cole (and the last 2.5 yrs of his contract) for some PP help and a 3rd round pick
- doesn't panic at the deadline by trading away assets for short-term help
- is recognized by his peers with a nomination for GM of the year

...and all the "experts" on this board can do is complain about...

- signing Moen to a great contract and watching him underperform (everyone in the hockey world loved the deal at the time)
- signing a depth d man to a cheap 1 yr extension
- signing Desharnais to a very affordable, very tradeable extension

Millpool

Jul 12, 2012
This is great! I don't think anyone would argue that there isn't a lot more work to be done, but I think MB has done some really great things so far and, on a one season sample, it's hard to argue with results. The team is heading in a positive direction.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
what a bogus award... GM of the year, lolz

Based on what, short term results to transactions where the winner or loser will only be known in the long term..

What a bogus award... defenseman of the year, lolz
Based on what? How well they played defensively and how many points they put up but where will they be in 2-3 years?

See how that plays out? GM of the year is an award like any others. The best GM of the year is based off what he did to improve his team for THAT one season and where his team ended up after the season was over. Bergevin added some sandpaper to the team, an ingredient that fans were begging for, and this team then went from 15th in the East to 2nd.

Seriously, sometimes people make me scratch my head.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Bergevin's moves since May of last season as a rookie GM, have taken his team from last place in the East to 2nd behind Pittsburgh.

No small feat to make the playoffs the following year, this, after building a strong management team. Completely revamping his scouting team, signing integral players to help rebuild the confidence of a team in disarray.

Having a draft of epic proportions and putting in place coaches on both team's he manages. Hamilton's coaches worked some magic with an all rookie team and supplied the Habs with defencemen (Tinordi,Beaulieu,Pateryn) that made huge strides towards becoming NHLers.

Congratulation's are definitely in order for Marc Bergevin, for bringing the Habs back to respectability. What's he got up his sleeves for an encore, a Stanley Cup parade in Montreal after two decades of futility. I know he's given all Hab fans the belief that his team is headed for greatness once again, thank you Marc, from a lifetime Hab fan.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
What a bogus award... defenseman of the year, lolz
Based on what? How well they played defensively and how many points they put up but where will they be in 2-3 years?

See how that plays out? GM of the year is an award like any others. The best GM of the year is based off what he did to improve his team for THAT one season and where his team ended up after the season was over. Bergevin added some sandpaper to the team, an ingredient that fans were begging for, and this team then went from 15th in the East to 2nd.

Seriously, sometimes people make me scratch my head.

He's right, though. It is a silly award.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Don't agree. Extensions to Moen, Bouillon and DD do not constitute the makings of the GM of the year.

I'll agree with Moen and maybe Bouillon (he's a smurf, which is why I say that's not a good signing IMO) but DD is a good signing. He underperforms in one playoff series and all of a sudden, trade him/re-signing wasn't good.

Before you all go ******* on why DD "sucks". Consider this, in his past 2.5 years in the NHL, he has an approximate regular season average of 55-60 points per 82 game season. This guy's a ****ing smurf and gets 55-60 points a season. WTF does Lucic do? He's half a foot taller and gets the same production and the same salary (actually 500K more).

Honestly you DD haters need to relax. The jury is still out on this guy for the POs, but he's a 60 or so point guy during the regular season. The guy might look small, but during the season he plays like a second liner centre should.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Being a good GM is not just trades and free agents signings.

Bergevin took ajoke of an administration and hired a sound coaching staff, installed a strong player development team, surrounded himself with experienced and competent assistants and pro-scouts and managed to change the whole culture of the organization.

If only for that, he deserves it.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Before you all go ******* on why DD "sucks". Consider this, in his past 2.5 years in the NHL, he has an approximate regular season average of 55-60 points per 82 game season. This guy's a ****ing smurf and gets 55-60 points a season. WTF does Lucic do? He's half a foot taller and gets the same production and the same salary (actually 500K more).

Lucic or DD, let me think about that for some time and get back to you....

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Being a good GM is not just trades and free agents signings.

Bergevin took ajoke of an administration and hired a sound coaching staff, installed a strong player development team, surrounded himself with experienced and competent assistants and pro-scouts and managed to change the whole culture of the organization.

If only for that, he deserves it.

Not to mention that our prospect depth almost doubled with his first draft and with all the picks we have this year could even get better.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
I'll agree with Moen and maybe Bouillon (he's a smurf, which is why I say that's not a good signing IMO) but DD is a good signing. He underperforms in one playoff series and all of a sudden, trade him/re-signing wasn't good.

Honestly you DD haters need to relax. The jury is still out on this guy for the POs, but he's a 60 or so point guy during the regular season. The guy might look small, but during the season he plays like a second liner centre should.

Lucic earns 6M if I'm right. :help:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
On a shorten season maybe but the way they imploded in the end tell me the team was not making the playoff in a 82 games season. The Habs were damn lucky half the East crapped the bed badly enough for them to feed on early in the season.

I mentioned this before the playoffs and got laughed out the building. Next year will show us many things. There were a few pretenders this past year that took advantage of the shortened season. I would not be surprised if the Habs fell to 8th or lower under a full season. I think we fall back down to earth next year unless we see some major changes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
...and all the "experts" on this board can do is complain about...

- signing Moen to a great contract and watching him underperform (everyone in the hockey world loved the deal at the time)
- signing a depth d man to a cheap 1 yr extension
- signing Desharnais to a very affordable, very tradeable extension

And the Drewiske trade, where we lost a late 5th, not a huge loss.

The only source of concern is consenting long-term deals to players who appear to have been overvalued by us.

Bouillon is irrelevant, not costly and can be sent to the press box and won't complain. He's not even worth wasting time over.

Drewiske is only disturbing on account of the new brilliant minds amongst the org. believing he had 6th D ability and had been miscast as an 8th D in LA. Turns out he was no better than an 8th D with us and was so weak that his place was taken up by a rookie with barely a few NHL games to his credit.

Just hoping that this is not reflective of future talent mining.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
Just hoping that this is not reflective of future talent mining.

It was a depth move, nothing more. It's not even worth talking about.

I mentioned this before the playoffs and got laughed out the building. Next year will show us many things. There were a few pretenders this past year that took advantage of the shortened season. I would not be surprised if the Habs fell to 8th or lower under a full season. I think we fall back down to earth next year unless we see some major changes.

It's impossible to say what would've happened over a full season. The Bruins were struggling even more than us, are they not a playoffs team? Hell, most playoffs teams were playing around 0.500 by the end of the season (I'm talking win percentage here, not points percentage).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad