Confirmed with Link: Marc Bergevin named finalist for GM of the Year award

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Marc Bergevin, Bob Murray and Ray Shero named finalists for the NHL's GM of the year Award

A few questionable moves such as the Desharnais and Bouillon extensions, but I can't say I disagree with this. I think we're in good hands!

Congrats Bergy!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Don't agree. Extensions to Moen, Bouillon and DD do not constitute the makings of the GM of the year.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
what a bogus award... GM of the year, lolz

Based on what, short term results to transactions where the winner or loser will only be known in the long term..

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I don't usually care about these things, but I am hoping todays presser gives some insight into where management is taking the team.

I was initially encouraged by MB's words about size up the middle, but the DD contract is contradictory to the vision.

The league is reshuffling to make cap room, it's going to be a difficult time for a manager to move pricey assets (Price, Gorges) , still I'd like to know what MB's observations are and what he will be trying to do this summer.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Bouillon re-signing is cheap. He could be a good 7th D if we find other defensemen. We're probably also looking to see more of Tinordi and Emelin's return.

DD contract also isn't very high either. For a "first line" center, it's actually decent.

Getting Armstrong was ok. I don't know why some expected him to fight. He's only fought twice in his entire career and he got his ass stomped. We got him for cheap too. He was decent defensively as a shut down. Same goes for Moen.

Prust, everyone's happy about him.

Drewiskie didn't cost us much. Heck, Gorges was also bad when he first started. Let's give the guy a chance.

Ryder has been a bit lackluster in the playoffs. But he did contribute to our successes during the regular season. Plus MB got him for dirt cheap compared to what he would have cost us had the trade been around the trade deadline.

Halpern was a nice addition.

Re-signing PK was also good cap wise.

I'd say he was fine. Don't know about the best, but he was fine. Let's see what he does now. It's easy to be pissy about signings when we lost and everyone wants players to play their way. Fact is, to get these players, we would have payed more under Gainey/Gauthier era. And we got them for cheap.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Don't agree. Extensions to Moen, Bouillon and DD do not constitute the makings of the GM of the year.

You don't agree, but his peers do. I think I'll take the opinion of his peers.
If a 1 year extension with a minimal salary given to a depth d-man is what makes or breaks "GM of the year", the award itself doesn't mean much.
Actually, you're very vocal against both Therrien AND Bergevin... I'd like to know exactly why this team took the jump from 15 to 2 if they didn't play a part in it?

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The gm does a lot of work other than transactions.. he talks to the team, he instills certain values into the team.. he hired a lot of coaching staff that turned this team around..... it goes way behind contracts boys.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008

Positives:

1. Culture Change
2. Handling of young players
3. Insertion of young talent (also MT)
4. Price contract extension
5. Pacioretty extension
6. Cole trade
7. Subban Contract
8. Holding on to future stock at the deadline
9. Brandon Prust

Negatives:

1. Desharnais contract
2. Moen contract (size was needed, cannot fault him for the player having an off year)
3. Bouillon contract

seems to me its fairly obvious why he's being nominated

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Very happy to hear this, in general I'm digging MB's approach, except the obvious contracts to the three tenors. That being said I'm curious to see what his next moves are.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Positives:

1. Culture Change
2. Handling of young players
3. Insertion of young talent (also MT)
4. Price contract extension
5. Pacioretty extension
6. Cole trade
7. Subban Contract
8. Holding on to future stock at the deadline

Negatives:

1. Desharnais contract
2. Moen contract (size was needed, cannot fault him for the player having an off year)
3. Bouillon contract

seems to me its fairly obvious why he's being nominated

Desharnais was EASILY our best centre for 1 and a half seasons.

We don't know what happened behind closed doors this year guys.. maybe he was told to take it easy for this year.. it was a shortened season.. NONE OF US KNOW.. A lot of nhl players probably took this year as a I DONT HAVE TO WORK HARD THIS YEAR.. it's like a take it easy half year.. come on guys.. desharnais is a good player.. yes hes small but hes good..

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
what a bogus award... GM of the year, lolz

Based on what, short term results to transactions where the winner or loser will only be known in the long term..

Drafting, trades, signings, team building, culture change. There's a lot there. What do you want to do, give Gauthier the GM of the year for the Eller/Halak trade now, lol?

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009

We don't know what happened behind closed doors this year guys.. maybe he was told to take it easy for this year.. it was a shortened season.. NONE OF US KNOW.. A lot of nhl players probably took this year as a I DONT HAVE TO WORK HARD THIS YEAR.. it's like a take it easy half year.. come on guys.. desharnais is a good player.. yes hes small but hes good..

It's pathetic how quickly this entire city has given up on Desharnais after one shortened season. So typical of Habs fans.

void

Jan 5, 2006
You guys are insane.. You know who votes for this award? The 30 GMs! It's an unbelievable accomplishment yet some of you are bashing it. :facepalm:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It's pathetic how quickly this entire city has given up on Desharnais after one shortened season. So typical of Habs fans.

Some of us weren't huge fans last season, either.

If he can step up his play again, then sure... but I just don't see why we signed our 4th most important centre for 4 years for 3.5M...

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

That's a statement about the teams situation at Centre, not a testimonial to Desharnais.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It must have been the Drewiskie and Halpern playoffs moves that really put him in the lead.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Some of us weren't huge fans last season, either.

If he can step up his play again, then sure... but I just don't see why we signed our 4th most important centre for 4 years for 3.5M...

Well if you saw that your best centremen was 5'8.. ( he has to be good to play GOOD at his size.. so hes obviously good ) st Louis.. gionta... who else.. ) he becomes your 1st important centremen

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
You guys are insane.. You know who votes for this award? The 30 GMs! It's an unbelievable accomplishment yet some of you are bashing it. :facepalm:

It's shows the hockey IQ of those members on these board doesn't it?

Bergy did a fantastic job this season and is being rewarded. How every can't trust him to add what we need is beyond me. I have complete faith in him, as should everyone.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's shows the hockey IQ of those members on these board doesn't it?

Bergy did a fantastic job this season and is being rewarded. How every can't trust him to add what we need is beyond me. I have complete faith in him, as should everyone.

I have faith in him. Just saying he's got a lot of blemishes on his record that indicate to me that while promising for a rookie GM, he has a lot of work to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad