Confirmed with Link: Marc Bergevin named finalist for GM of the Year award

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
What a bogus award... defenseman of the year, lolz
Based on what? How well they played defensively and how many points they put up but where will they be in 2-3 years?

See how that plays out? GM of the year is an award like any others. The best GM of the year is based off what he did to improve his team for THAT one season and where his team ended up after the season was over. Bergevin added some sandpaper to the team, an ingredient that fans were begging for, and this team then went from 15th in the East to 2nd.

Seriously, sometimes people make me scratch my head.

Your post made me scratch my head.

Comparing the success of Bergevin to how well X player performed in a given year is a joke and clear indication you didn't get the point or refuse to.

There is a common saying that the GM need time before they can get the team to the direction they want. Average is 5 years.

Whatever, I recognize MB got nominated by other GM's so he did some things right. But what might be right today can end up disastrous in the future.

Right now he is getting flack for re-signing DD. Next year, DD can shine, and he will be praised again... until DD chokes in the playoffs etc and the cycle repeats itself.

We can speculate that MB has been terrible, and that not locking up Subban is a huge mistake that cost his team millions of cap space over the long run.

There is no end. We need time to evaluate. Hence, this award is MEANINGLESS

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It's pathetic how quickly this entire city has given up on Desharnais after one shortened season. So typical of Habs fans.

Other than scoring points in a sheltered game, what can he do for the Montreal Canadiens going forward? He doesn't impress me night in and night out and when he isn't scoring, he is doing nothing to help this team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Signing Desharnais was a great move toward getting rid of some of the most bipolar and angry members of the fanbase. Thus, it was a great signing.

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
After Gauthier and Gainey eras, what an improvement Bergevin brang to our beloved Habs!

For sure, a GM can't be right 100% all the time, it is the consistency in good moves that separate amateurs (including all the self-proclaimed great GMs here on HF!!!) and the really good ones. :nod:

The team and the fans earned it: We finally have one of the best GM in the league! :yo:

Well earned nomination! Bravo and thanx Marc! :yo:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
It was a depth move, nothing more. It's not even worth talking about.

It's impossible to say what would've happened over a full season. The Bruins were struggling even more than us, are they not a playoffs team? Hell, most playoffs teams were playing around 0.500 by the end of the season (I'm talking win percentage here, not points percentage).

The Bruins are a proven playoff team. I think they would have gotten it turned around. That said, they have always been ripe for the pickings the last few years in the division, but no team was really good enough to challenge them.

Habs were getting blown out the building on most nights.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was a depth move, nothing more. It's not even worth talking about.

Trading for someone who was going to fill a 6th D role, is hardly a depth move.

When they got him, Habs brass claimed he was miscast with LA and that he had the ability to have immediate impact as a regular.

I know he didn't cost us much, however, his evaluation was overly optimistic.

As was Moen's and DD's, so there is a pattern. Hardly irrelevant.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
You guys are insane.. You know who votes for this award? The 30 GMs! It's an unbelievable accomplishment yet some of you are bashing it. :facepalm:

If I were a GM in the NHL, I would nominate Bergevin as well.

With his approach, the Habs will remain small and Bergevin will never be a player at the trade deadline. And with his announcement that he will not be interested in trading prospects for established players, other GMs won't have to worry about Bergevin competing for players.

Bergevin is ensuring the Habs won't be competing for a Cup in several years.

So yeah, as an opposing GM, I would be encouraging and rewarding Bergevin for his efforts or rather, his lack of efforts.

Davis Drewiske regards.........

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

With his approach, the Habs will remain small and Bergevin will never be a player at the trade deadline. And with his announcement that he will not be interested in trading prospects for established players, other GMs won't have to worry about Bergevin competing for players.

So yeah, as an opposing GM, I would be encouraging and rewarding Bergevin for his efforts or rather, his lack of efforts.

How melodramatic can you get? Jesus Christ.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006

Have you slit your wrists yet?

Bergevin may have been smart enough to realise that there were too many question marks with this team to warrant trading away prospects and good draft picks for frickin' rentals. Besides, he made one of the best trades of the year by getting Ryder and a 3rd round pick (a high one) for useless Erik Cole. There is nothing magical about the trade deadline that says that teams need to trade at that point in time in order to compete.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

..eeeeeeemo.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
How melodramatic can you get? Jesus Christ.

I think he's having a good day too. Yikes.

It amazes me how people can't just be happy. Instead of focusing on a first round exit, why can't we be proud that the Habs not only made the playoffs, they won their division one year removed from finishing dead last in the conference. Why can't we be happy that Bergevin's decision to keep both Galchenyuk and Gallagher up with the big club was so important for their development.

Let's face it. This city LIVES for the pessimism. Any trace of optimism is quickly slammed down. It's frightening, really.

NickW

May 3, 2013
MTL

It amazes me how people can't just be happy. Instead of focusing on a first round exit, why can't we be proud that the Habs not only made the playoffs, they won their division one year removed from finishing dead last in the conference. Why can't we be happy that Bergevin's decision to keep both Galchenyuk and Gallagher up with the big club was so important for their development.

Let's face it. This city LIVES for the pessimism. Any trace of optimism is quickly slammed down. It's frightening, really.

Agreed. Being a Habs fan is often tough, especially when you have savvy friends who follow other teams. Our fanbase so easily gives up on their players, it's quite ridiculous.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Because that is a loser attitude best reserved for expansion teams and markets that could care less either way. Jesus H Christ, this is the Montreal Canadiens, and now we should be happy just making the post season?

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Because that is a loser attitude best reserved for expansion teams and markets that could care less either way. this is the Montreal Canadiens, and now we should be happy just making the post season?

Totally agree
Never forget where you are from

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Was he perfect this year? Of course not but given the situation he was handed a team that finished dead last in their conference , what did anyone really expect? I'm glad he is making mistakes , it means he is human and if he is as smart as I think he is he will learn from his mistakes quickly and will not make them again when we are in shape to actually contend, which we are obviously lacking : 1 top 4 D , a couple gritty offensive forwards and a stable/mature goalie that can handle his business consistently (hopefully Price is that guy).

I don't think he wins it but definitely a close 2nd to Murray , taking a chance on Sheldon Souray was a great move. He keeps his season simple and finishes 3rd overall , while signing his core long term and not to mention going to game 7 in playoffs vs a very playoff hungry Detroit team.

Last edited:

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
He deserves the nomination. He did a good job with this team, and I hope he will continue his good work with us and some day bring us the Cup.
Not really agreeing on the DD extension as of now but there's nothing I can do but believe in him to the end.

But I also can't help but think that Gauthier deserves some credits for this team. Gauthier built most of this team along with Gainey before he took over.
We just had a lot of injuries, a crappy attitude and our young core got better last year.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'll agree with Moen and maybe Bouillon (he's a smurf, which is why I say that's not a good signing IMO) but DD is a good signing. He underperforms in one playoff series and all of a sudden, trade him/re-signing wasn't good.

Before you all go ******* on why DD "sucks". Consider this, in his past 2.5 years in the NHL, he has an approximate regular season average of 55-60 points per 82 game season. This guy's a ****ing smurf and gets 55-60 points a season. WTF does Lucic do? He's half a foot taller and gets the same production and the same salary (actually 500K more).

Honestly you DD haters need to relax. The jury is still out on this guy for the POs, but he's a 60 or so point guy during the regular season. The guy might look small, but during the season he plays like a second liner centre should.

Lmao, we are not comparing what DD and Lucic bring to the table are we?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad