Value of: Marc-Andre Fleury

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Sorry, but this is not comparable at all. I get what you're trying to say with this, but the money involved changes so much. Fleury has the ability (as long as he wasn't a complete idiot with his money) to retire many times over. Which means he has the ability to prioritize many other things ahead of just trying to get the most money.

Working stiffs like us who earn 100k or so a year are in very different positions where an extra 20k or so means a lot more to us then a million or two would to a pro athlete.

Ok you may be right. Again. Say philly wants him to be a starter. The team who traded for him wouldn't they want him as a UFA as well?

He doesn't have to be traded by Pitts to be a starter in say philly. His options go way up by waiting (if possible) after the expansion draft

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If you don't think everyone has his own way to spend his budget, I wonder who decides how your budget will be spent.
McPhee will give a crap about your opinion.

Yet you apparently know better, and he somehow gives a crap about your opinion? :sarcasm: :laugh:

Ok you may be right. Again. Say philly wants him to be a starter. The team who traded for him wouldn't they want him as a UFA as well?

He doesn't have to be traded by Pitts to be a starter in say philly. His options go way up by waiting (if possible) after the expansion draft

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here.

Perhaps. Things can change between trading for him over the next month and when July 1st rolls around.

What happens (assuming he becomes a UFA) if he wants term and the team isn't willing to commit for more than 2 maybe 3 years (due to having a good young G in the system - or whatever)?

Or what happens if he does what Vokoun did ~5 years ago and tries to get too much money, and those teams end up looking elsewhere? There's a lot of 1A/B goalies on the market this summer.

People act like there's no downsides to getting bought out and going to free agency, or the fact that if he did so, that there's any more of a guarantee of getting a starter's spot then he would via trade. If he gets traded (especially before the ED), odds are he's going to be that team's starter just due to the cap hit (or at least he'll have a great chance of that happening). That decreases as a UFA.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My God hahaha Fleury would have to agree not to get protected in the expansion draft.

How can you forget this, you really think Fleury has no power hahaha

So how is that relevant to being traded? You're just bouncing around and throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. Fleury has no power to make the Penguins listen to him on a NTC change. That's the reality of it. He can refuse to waive for the expansion draft, but that's not relevant to the ability to trade him.

Your arguments here make flat out no sense.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Yet you apparently know better

McPhee said he will use the expansion draft as an auction.
Hard to imagine other teams wouldn't want the best players.
Only PIT might be so dumb not to want the best guys as you think. How could it come to this.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
So how is that relevant to being traded? You're just bouncing around and throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. Fleury has no power to make the Penguins listen to him on a NTC change. That's the reality of it. He can refuse to waive for the expansion draft, but that's not relevant to the ability to trade him.

PIT wants to get rid of Fleury. If they don't think waiving his NMC is a possibility even better. But why do most PIT fans say Fleury will waive it, it's bothering,

Besides that, which team would trade for Fleury without exposing another goalie. Vegas knows this too and might negotiate with CGY too not to trade for Fleury. Good Times

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
PIT wants to get rid of Fleury. If they don't think waiving his NMC is a possibility even better. But why do most PIT fans say Fleury will waive it, it's bothering,

Besides that, which team would trade for Fleury without exposing another goalie. Vegas knows this too and might negotiate with CGY too not to trade for Fleury. Good Times

Jesus Christ, do you really think teams operate like this?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
The gong show is you can't read.

I wrote that PIT has to accept a new list. Do you get this.

And if PIT won't accept why should Fleury agree to anything.

Sorry but not wanting him is just as crazy as not picking him. Dude would have won the clader if it wasn't for the freak influx of 18 year old talent...

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
See, you value him so much, other teams will too. At the end of the day his 3.75M are not cheap and after 3 years he could be more expensive. I'm not interested in expensive goalies and if I can get something now I take it now because prospects need time to develop.

Opinions can't be objectively wrong because well they are opinions, however yours are pretty far out that I am reconsidering the thought that they could be objectively wrong

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yet you apparently know better, and he somehow gives a crap about your opinion? :sarcasm: :laugh:

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here.

Perhaps. Things can change between trading for him over the next month and when July 1st rolls around.

What happens (assuming he becomes a UFA) if he wants term and the team isn't willing to commit for more than 2 maybe 3 years (due to having a good young G in the system - or whatever)?

Or what happens if he does what Vokoun did ~5 years ago and tries to get too much money, and those teams end up looking elsewhere? There's a lot of 1A/B goalies on the market this summer.

People act like there's no downsides to getting bought out and going to free agency, or the fact that if he did so, that there's any more of a guarantee of getting a starter's spot then he would via trade. If he gets traded (especially before the ED), odds are he's going to be that team's starter just due to the cap hit (or at least he'll have a great chance of that happening). That decreases as a UFA.

Whatever the mythical team that would trade for him, would certainly also like to sign him for free as a UFA for less money.

If he becomes a UFA, Fleury only has to sign a 2 year deal for 2 million per, to make up the money he loses in a buyout. So he can sign a nice 2 year deal for 4.5 million per, and he pockets an extra 5 million over the 2 years by being paid by both teams.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Flames - "Yeah well, we still don't want Fleury, because...hold on, we're waiting for an excuse to pop up..."

His stock is rising fast again, damn, that game tonight.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
[/B]

Whatever the mythical team that would trade for him, would certainly also like to sign him for free as a UFA for less money.

If he becomes a UFA, Fleury only has to sign a 2 year deal for 2 million per, to make up the money he loses in a buyout. So he can sign a nice 2 year deal for 4.5 million per, and he pockets an extra 5 million over the 2 years by being paid by both teams.

The assumption also is that Fleury will force the buyout option to the Penguins which doesn't even seem plausible given his history with the Penguins and that he and his agent have been pretty good about all of this and if you know who his agent is, you can pretty much tell Fleury is dictating what he wants which is neutering Walsh and his epic desire to just rant about his clients like they're being prosecuted.

It's not a problem until it becomes one.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
McPhee said he will use the expansion draft as an auction.
Hard to imagine other teams wouldn't want the best players.
Only PIT might be so dumb not to want the best guys as you think. How could it come to this.

And only LV fans might be so dumb to want to trade the best guys they can get. :laugh:

He did say that. But that doesn't mean he's going to auction off every player he selects - or even the best players he selects. He still needs to build a team that A) hits the cap floor and B) has the young players needed to be part of the team over the next 5 years while they build their prospect pool and attempt to compete.

If LV bombs it in their first couple of seasons that's going to make it a ***** for their marketing guys to build a fan base. This isn't Canada or some hockey mad US market where the team can suck ass for a decade and still sell out.

So yeah, I imagine that McPhee will try and auction off a several players to gain additional assets - but those players will be guys with a year or two left on their contracts and who are in their late 20s and early 30s. Basically players who will almost certainly not be part of the franchise long time. He won't be doing it with high end 22 year olds. Those are the players he'll build the franchise around.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Several reasons come to mind.

A) Because of all the things Rutherford has said over the course of the season about not being worried about this situation at all. Rutherford has talked a lot about this throughout the season and at no point did he show any signs of being worried or nervous about it. And he's been extremely candid in his time here with the media about pretty much everything. He doesn't play the usual games. So if he didn't have some sort of plan with a backup plan, he should be nervous as **** about this - but he's not. Why is that? There's one very simple and very easy answer - but most on HF don't like it.

B) Because of the relationship that MAF has with this team, the players, management and the fans. This guy loves this team and this town. When management talked to him in the summer, he said he wanted to stay to try and win back the starting job and to try and win another cup. Which is all fine and dandy, but why does Pittsburgh grant him that when there's an offer on the table (Calgary's 16 and 17 2nds)? Unless of course they came to some sort of understanding in the summer.

C) The guy has made almost 50m over the course of his career to date. Why would he go out of his way to screw over the team and the fans simply to try and make a little more money?

There's no guarantee about this, but there's a reason why most PIT fans are comfortable with the current situation. And it's not because MAF has been lights out for most of the playoffs - we felt the same way in March and April.

Perhaps - but they actually need to come to an agreement first. What happens if Fleury wants 4 years of term? His contract gets bought out, and he's a 32 year old UFA (33 in Nov). Why would he settle for 2 years vs pushing for 3-5 years? What happens if the team that would have traded for him and dealt with the higher cap hit doesn't want to give him that term? We've seen this exact same situation play out before (Vokoun).

What happens if Philly really wants him, but refuses to trade for him and instead he signs with Calgary (or gets traded there, or vise versa)? There's absolutely no guarantee's in waiting until July if something can get sorted out sooner. This is why we saw Carolina pay a 3rd for Darling and why Dallas paid a 4th for Bishop. Both teams could have talked to those players well before the deadline and then signed them for free on July 1st. GMs toss picks and futures away all the time when there's a player they want who's available. But HF acts like every 1st and 2nd round pick is going to draft the next superstar, and thus their team absolutely cannot afford to move it.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Looking like it could be a 3 way agreement.
LV agrees to take MAF from the Pens at the draft.
LV then trades MAF to the flames.

Works for Pens as they lose from a position that they can replace.
Works for LV as they get a player they can flip for other assets.
Works for the Flames cause they get a legit starter on a short and serviceable contract who can help them now and buy time for a young goalie to develop.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames - "Yeah well, we still don't want Fleury, because...hold on, we're waiting for an excuse to pop up..."

His stock is rising fast again, damn, that game tonight.

WE want him, but we're certainly not going to come close to paying the prices in this thread :laugh:
Short memory from that other game though eh :laugh:? Or the season in general?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
WE want him, but we're certainly not going to come close to paying the prices in this thread :laugh:
Short memory from that other game though eh :laugh:? Or the season in general?

Given how the team in front of him played in games 5/6, I'm not sure how someone can blame that on him. Was he great? No. But neither was he anywhere close to the reason they lost.

As for the season, he was **** at the start, but got better as the season wore on. Over the final 1/3rd of the season, he actually had better numbers then Murray, and was slightly above his career average. And lets not pretend these playoffs are something unique - he's been fine in the last 3 playoffs he's been the starter. Not quite as good as this year, but again far from the reason why Pittsburgh was eliminated.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What are the terms? We both agree MAF could be traded. So I don't think there is any way he waives for LV. I am willing to bet on that providing the Penguins don't bribe LV to not select him if he is exposed. On your side you don't believe he will be bought out. I think that is entirely possible. So if Fleury waives for LV and is selected by LV you can choose my avatar for all of next season. If Fleury is bought out before the expansion draft then I get to choose yours for next season. If he is traded (most likely) before the expansion draft then it is a tie. I'm in.

tumblr_lj57goZvBh1qdjdp1o1_500.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad