Post-Game Talk: MAPLE LEAFS WIN BUFFALO!

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
There were several analysts on Twitter that thought ROR would fit like a glove in Toronto due to our style of hockey. I would agree as he has looked comfortable since game one.
I think thats them banking on his natural hockey IQ. They knew how great of a mind he is, this feels like they are at the all star dunk contest. Makes them look like they know what they are talking about on a homerun.

Reactions: therealkoho

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
its funny all the goaltending hot takes.

half are from guys that wanted campbell back and said we were doomed with the current tandem

sure samsonov had a off night for the second time this week

still top 10 in g.a.a 12th in wins .915 s%

give woll the reigns till samy gets done with the bug/illness

absolutely no reason to be spending assets on a position that has been night and day better then last season

Reactions: therealkoho

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I love the MTO line. Ministry of Transportation.

Next stop Amalie Arena.... going to issue some moving violations

• Haha
Reactions: Cleetus

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

half are from guys that wanted campbell back and said we were doomed with the current tandem

absolutely no reason to be spending assets on a position that has been night and day better then last season
Did even one fan want Campbell back?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

The goaltending takes go from "He's great, Dubas needs to re-sign asap" to "He's horrible, we need a new goalie and it will take 18 first round picks to get rid of this current guy" in the span of about 2 games. If HFBoards posters were the GM, Samsonov would have been 8 goalies ago having always been needing a new one after 2 poor games.

I get why there is little trust in goaltenders and the last two games weren't good, whether that was caused by the shits or not. But I also know goaltending is voodoo is well. You don't have a Vasy or an up and comer heir apparent like Oettinger, you are basically stuck in the musical chairs of revolving mid-tier goalies. Just need to hope for the best, a mid-season trade for Fleury or Saros isn't happening, nor should it for the assets it would take. You want to send a 5th and a C-tier prospect for insurance like Korpisalo, sure. Otherwise, goaltening moves and decisions are most likely off season ones, so it is what it is right now.

Reactions: Jojalu

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think thats them banking on his natural hockey IQ. They knew how great of a mind he is, this feels like they are at the all star dunk contest. Makes them look like they know what they are talking about on a homerun.
Possibly but the posts were at the time of the trade.
The idea was that ROR still set would fit better with the Leafs playing style and the the St Louis system was not the best fit.
They had fancy graphs to back it up, but I'm just a layman that was really happy we got him. This is the only deadline acquisition that made me think, oh ya!!

Did even one fan want Campbell back?
Yes there were a few

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Reilly needs 2nd pairing minutes. Mid season form or not…

His soft play avoiding the body is becoming more and more evident… just let the Buffalo player walk right in. Disrupt him FfS… hit his body.

We have been crappy on D the second he came back.

I know the sabres were surging back, and the leafs overall took a backseat to urgency…

But the Holl and Reilly blunders is the same flavour we see in the playoffs that has Boston or Tampa sniping one in as a freebie.

Can’t have that crap man. Fukkkkk man.

Can’t always be on the goalie…. Holl and Reilly need to be hazed and humiliated for this. No more PC we all are winners crap. No more prosthetic breasts like Oakville school board participants trophy.

Comon man….

Dominate the next… go leafs go!!

• Haha
Reactions: Altair

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Great game by the ROR line. Acciari is a beaut. We were missing someone who finishes checks and has skill. I really liked Liljegren’s game.

Our defence is a big concern for the playoffs. Timmins iis not ready to start in the playoffs. Rielly is terrible in his own zone and has horrible reads off rushes. Holl is Holl. If we’re all in this year we need to trade for a top 4 defenceman. Lily was our best defenceman.

We need to sit Reilly same fashion Nylander was sat out for too many soft plays few years back.

Reilly is just as bad as hill but with an offensive touch. Currently paid way tol much.

He needs to find his game fast or Keefe better sit his ass.

Lily and Brodie are full notches above Reilly rn…

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Excellent stat. Overlooked because some people only care about goals.

A few, but I'm glad they got rid of both guys.
Always found blocked shot to be a funny stat. How many of those are actual blocks and how many are just being hit by the puck?
(Speaking in general, in no way attacking Matthews)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Always found blocked shot to be a funny stat. How many of those are actual blocks and how many are just being hit by the puck?
(Speaking in general, in no way attacking Matthews)
i find it funny some are praising him for leading in blocked shots since if it were another C who didn't kill penalties the same people would be laughing about leading in a stat which means your hemmed in your zone way to much , lol

anyway , AM has developed into a quality defensive player regardless of the merits of this stat

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
We need to sit Reilly same fashion Nylander was sat out for too many soft plays few years back.

Reilly is just as bad as hill but with an offensive touch. Currently paid way tol much.

Lily and Brodie are full notches above Reilly

Lily and Brodie are full notches above Reilly rn…
I agree completely. Rielly has been on for 7 goals in the past 5 games. He needs to simplify his game without sacrificing his offence. Perhaps not sit him, but his minutes need to be reduced. Some of the errors he made in last night's game were not because he was trying to create offence. Recall how well our defensive game looked without him. I'm not saying we're better off without him, but this version of Rielly is going to cost us in the playoffs. If he plays a great in the playoffs, then all is forgiven.

Reactions: ktownhockey

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Excellent stat. Overlooked because some people only care about goals.

A few, but I'm glad they got rid of both guys.

I never counted his blocked shots but was dismayed at some posters here saying he was bad and lazy. I thought he played some solid defense and had his chances offensively. I'm hopeful of seeing something really special from him come PO time

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree completely. Rielly has been on for 7 goals in the past 5 games. He needs to simplify his game without sacrificing his offence. Perhaps not sit him, but his minutes need to be reduced. Some of the errors he made in last night's game were not because he was trying to create offence. Recall how well our defensive game looked without him. I'm not saying we're better off without him, but this version of Rielly is going to cost us in the playoffs. If he plays a great in the playoffs, then all is forgiven.
That's been my motto for years now and it applies to every single player, and the team as a whole.

Come on guys, I'm dying to forgive y'all, please give me reason to do so!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not even.

Watch the replay closely. He's moving at speed to catch up to RoR. He gets his stick on the puck, one handed and flicks the blade which causes the puck to slow down and even change direction.

The only reason it still goes in, is because he was moving to fast to completely stop the puck. The direction change went from forward, the to the right

It barely ends in the net. A little more and it pops out past the right post.
Down and to the left, down and to the left:cool::laugh:

Holmberg?
Holmslice?

Reactions: Teeder Keon

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Shocking

I would say Tavares - ROR - Marner would be considered the 1st line.
Many people are saying!

ok, watched the first two periods then fell asleep, not because of a drink but because I have covid. It sucks, but I think I am on the mend.
O'Reilly-Tavares-Marner is smoking. who cares who is centre, surely they will just free form a bit.
Nice to see that O'Reilly still has the hands. And now Marner has another playmate he can feed passes to be buried.
It's possible that Macallans is really good for that.

Reactions: Macallan18

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I didn't like Timmins play in the end either but the most taxed pair was Rielly with Holl and I don't think it was on balance, Rielly's fault.
They allowed 17 shots against while generating only 8 shots for.
This pair is a shitshow and needs some changes
Brodie needs to be with Rielly

Holl always looks calm with Gio

Liljegren looks way better with Sandin

Timmins has been looking very comfortable lately drinking a Pepsi and reading the Toronto Sun in the press box. Just the way it is, sure the guy is a little older but in reality is still an NHL rookie taking his games played into account.

I really think he is going to look a lot different by the end of his current contract, and we'll all know by then whether he's a Travis Dermott or a Niklas Hjalmarsson

Reactions: Notsince67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad