Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs vs Winnipeg Jets - Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I don't see a big difference whether Trouba is in or out. He impacts the Jets lineup over a course of 10 games, but not 1. We've lost to teams with less talent than a Trouba-less Jets. His fault he's out, though. He has no one to blame but himself.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
This is a silly post considering the current iteration of Winnipeg is something like 10-3 against us.

All-time against the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise the Leafs are 29-18-8-1 (ties were nice). Since they moved to Winnipeg, the Leafs are 4-7-3.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I don't see a big difference whether Trouba is in or out. He impacts the Jets lineup over a course of 10 games, but not 1. We've lost to teams with less talent than a Trouba-less Jets. His fault he's out, though. He has no one to blame but himself.

How many jets game have you seen as of late?
Trouba is a key player and probably the best defenseman in the jets...pretty sure it makes a difference both for leafs and jets.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Its because many of the fans in Winnipeg were (most likely) Leafs fans. I've met a lot of ex-Leafs fans, they hate the team for no reason other than they "used to be Leafs fans". Once Jets fans got their own team, they automatically developed this dislike for the Leafs. This is something that I've seen happen A LOT (with other teams too). Maybe they felt that the Leafs disappointed them and when they got their own team they were able to let their frustrations out in full force. Or, maybe they don't like the whole thing with the Leafs getting the most coverage etc. One can only speculate.

I'm a Jets fan & Leaf fan in the Peg
Don't have a problem with it at all.
I think all fan bases have their share of wing nuts....
Pretty excited to see all the young talent on the ice.
Win win for all hockey fans

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
How many jets game have you seen as of late?
Trouba is a key player and probably the best defenseman in the jets...pretty sure it makes a difference both for leafs and jets.

I know he is a key player, but I don't believe the Jets are impacted by his absence for any single individual game. The Jets would feel his absence over an extended period of time, but not over one game.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes
The boys on D usually have a tough time against teams with heavy skilled forwards like Winnipeg. It could be an ugly shootout from a coaches perspective, but great for everyone else. Add Winnipegs banged up D, I won't be surprised at 9+ goals tomorrow.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I remember last season's game against Winny very well. In Toronto. We were absolutely run over. It was almost game long domination from them in every way.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I remember last season's game against Winny very well. In Toronto. We were absolutely run over. It was almost game long domination from them in every way.
You've got that one riight. It ain't been even between us against them. Byfuglien and others have really been schooling our tender suckers hard. Now we have speed and some cool warriors with us. Polak, Komarov and Kadri can surely punish some. But we need others, I'm expecting a poor, pitiful game by JVR tomorrow night. See to that one beeing guaranteed.

It sounds from almost all of y'all that y'all think babcock goes for certainly with Andersen. Ima believe y'all again. Y'all knows the hockey through out. Sometimes a mutha can get so paranoid thinking who they gon go after a sucka has played a shutout. But it's his job to play only backups. He gets paid only for that. So andersen will all of the three games for us this week. I invested a lot of money on that so thank you very much for the information given. Y'all is knowing hockey and giving out information.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Jets fan in the Peg, looking forward to a real exciting game tomorrow. The leafs (Marner, Mathews, Reilly, Nylander) and the Jets (Laine, Ehlers, Troba) are kind of a measuring stick for each other. Both teams on the rise with great young talent. This year you guys have pulled ahead a bit. Many great matches in the future between these clubs.:yo:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Jets fan in the Peg, looking forward to a real exciting game tomorrow. The leafs (Marner, Mathews, Reilly, Nylander) and the Jets (Laine, Ehlers, Troba) are kind of a measuring stick for each other. Both teams on the rise with great young talent. This year you guys have pulled ahead a bit. Many great matches in the future between these clubs.:yo:

Trouba aint' playing, and Marner might not be either but yea.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
FABF16_3.png

Just teasin'.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Winnipeg's size bothers us quite a bit and they always seem to be on their A game against us, especially Buff.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I know he is a key player, but I don't believe the Jets are impacted by his absence for any single individual game. The Jets would feel his absence over an extended period of time, but not over one game.

The impact is significant because the Jets are also missing Enstrom and Myers. Nowhere to distribute Trouba's minutes except to some very marginal players.

Yeesh!

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The impact is significant because the Jets are also missing Enstrom and Myers. Nowhere to distribute Trouba's minutes except to some very marginal players.

Yeesh!

Everyone moves up a slot. I'd rather have Marner over Leivo too, but you make up for it by committee.

I just don't see the impact over one game. Most teams are separated by perhaps 5 or 10 wins over a full 82 game season. Over 1 game, the difference between teams is negligible as it is, let alone for a player like Trouba to make a big difference. As they say in football, "any given Sunday".

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Everyone moves up a slot. I'd rather have Marner over Leivo too, but you make up for it by committee.

I just don't see the impact over one game. Most teams are separated by perhaps 5 or 10 wins over a full 82 game season. Over 1 game, the difference between teams is negligible as it is, let alone for a player like Trouba to make a big difference. As they say in football, "any given Sunday".
You can only make up for it by committee up to a certain point though. An already depleted blueline that is further depleted will suffer.

A season is made up of games. How can't you see an impact within a single game? In this one game that could be a big loss.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014

The NHL league is very close yeah, so are others like soccer, NFL and the NBA. Every league with team sports. So yep, y'all got it right. One player in one game doesn't matter dirt. He can be acted out like a mother. Everybody can act one night. Even be better, because they try harder.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
You can only make up for it by committee up to a certain point though. An already depleted blueline that is further depleted will suffer.

A season is made up of games. How can't you see an impact within a single game? In this one game that could be a big loss.

The best teams win 50 games and the worst teams win 30 games. If talent difference in squads made an impact in every single game, you'd see the best teams win 80 games and the worst teams win 0. If the Leafs think they have it easy just because Trouba is out, they will lose. If the Jets actually lose, there's no excuse- they still could have won the game without Trouba.

Oh, and it's freaking Jacob Trouba. Not Wayne Gretzky.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Let's not count our chickens before they hatch in this one... for some reasons teams with weak defence and back up goalies have shut us down some games. We need to cash in on our high danger chances.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Could you imagine a fight-filled affair, fuelled by a late hit no less? I'm actually looking forward to seeing this thread, but more importantly looking for the Leafs starting a winning streak.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If there's one game I want Matthews to show up for, it's this one. (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad